This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

UT99.org Community Map Pack 2 Screenshotpack 2

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 22:37

Of course, Pickup chargers have pros and cons. You surely know that UT3 does not have hidden Invisiblity powerups as like in UT1 anymore (DM-Turbine, DM-Phobos, DM-Codex etc).
But if you look over to UT2 and UT3.. do you have their any choice? :B

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 23:52

Just downloaded and played it. Creavion, your maps are without exception excellent, the downside to that is that the rest of the maps in the pack pale by comparison, making the pack somewhat uneven in terms of quality (did you even playtest CTF-Dragnok? The framerate is totally unplayable). I really enjoyed the new pickups and your maps are some of the finest pieces of UT mapping I've seen :o Kamah was great and the lighting wasn't as bland as the screenshot made it seem, I'd say it's pretty spot on. The Morbias remake was a lot of fun too and looked great :o

Nice work!

Edit: for clarification, that's not to say the other maps are bad by any means

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009, 09:06

Shivaxi wrote:Just noticed a problem with ctf-dragnok. The mountains in the skybox are not bMasked...so u see this big black texture with rocks painted on it :P

And on a side note, when your up in the air like on a tower or a sniper spot, the game drops to like 10 FPS :/

It's called Dargrok, Dragnok :P
On my latest version (Creavion changed then a bit) the skybox is okay. You can look at the screenshots ;)
The only thing on the highest tower is to shoot the Redeemer so the FPS isn't that annoying...
@Frieza: the playability is a problem, I know... But Sacrimossa has equal FPS, for example. On new Pcs it should work fine
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009, 11:40

Well I could Sacrimossa just fine :o And my PC is pretty new

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009, 12:47

editor Dave wrote:
Shivaxi wrote:Just noticed a problem with ctf-dragnok. The mountains in the skybox are not bMasked...so u see this big black texture with rocks painted on it :P

And on a side note, when your up in the air like on a tower or a sniper spot, the game drops to like 10 FPS :/

It's called Dargrok, Dragnok :P
On my latest version (Creavion changed then a bit) the skybox is okay. You can look at the screenshots ;)
The only thing on the highest tower is to shoot the Redeemer so the FPS isn't that annoying...
@Frieza: the playability is a problem, I know... But Sacrimossa has equal FPS, for example. On new Pcs it should work fine

Dave.. you did it again -_-
I would like to make very clear that this with your skybox is not my fault.
I did not change anything on your skybox, all I changed was to place the CTF flag base meshes as you requested, fixed several mover states (bump opened time to stand open timed, except the trap buttons)
and made the weapon locker fully working (because you screwed with completly wrong settings).
Oh year right.. at the end I rebuilt the pathnetwork. :rolleyes:

@Frieza: Thanks buddy, I am glad you enjoyed the pack.
About the "other" maps. After the big failure of the first pack I wanted to guarantee that something like that would not happen again.
The requirement of entering of the mappack was a certain minimum quality (either in the visual aspects, in gameplay). It was also possible for certain mappers to enter if their maps were special in their own way.
I knew a FOT like pack was not possible (I am not that experienced with layouts for example) but the result of the first pack should not happen again. So I did not ask the impossible for the team.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009, 18:50

Creavion wrote:Dave.. you did it again -_-
I would like to make very clear that this with your skybox is not my fault.
I did not change anything on your skybox, all I changed was to place the CTF flag base meshes as you requested, fixed several mover states (bump opened time to stand open timed, except the trap buttons)
and made the weapon locker fully working (because you screwed with completly wrong settings).
Oh year right.. at the end I rebuilt the pathnetwork. :rolleyes:

I never wanted to mistrust your job as the project leader-maybe that sounds like this but that's not my way and there's no reason because you were always helpful and nearly everytime nice to the members. But when I heard Shivaxi's post I thought the only one that changed something after me was you. Right before I looked at the version of the mappack and everything was fine, all mountain textures are masked. So Shivaxi was mistaken.
But there's one term that is always true: Errare human est (The err is human) :)
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009, 19:46

so, then everything has been resolved.. good to know. :o

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009, 21:38

damnit...i had Dargrok first...dunno why i changed it...i saw somebody else type it that way and i thought i had typed it wrong :/
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009, 23:55

We recently started to work on a "Patch-bonuspack" combo, at least dave sp and my morbias 4 will be fixed in some certain issues (reworked versions). Maybe also xpickups issues will be fixed, if it is possible and if they will be reported by users.
Also new mapcontent will be added, we will try to increase the quality.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 21:38

BTW, this what Revelation meant of my maps, only the summaries:

Kamah:
However, the map is here, so I need to rate it... Since it's a brilliant showcase object with only a few gameplay flaws, and a visual limit just given by the engine, I think 80% are about right. Great job here!

Morbias 4:
The bottom line looks like some times before: Quite good visuals, so-so gameplay... Again, some hardcore gamers might like it, but - thanks to God - I'm not one of those. In short words, both the score of 65%, and the reasons for that score, are equal to Rawash.

Nadaus:
Anyway... As I said, for me Nadaus is the best map in this pack, and that simply because it's "just a map" which does not desperately try to be something special. All in all it's 85%, and could even be 90 with only some more work in texturing.

Ryigiar-III:
All in all this map is somehow "average"... Not bad for sure, but with to many small flaws to be great either. Once again, I think 65% fit nicely.

Sacrimossa:
So once again, a good geometry alone is not enough to make up for the rest. I'd say it's 50% in total, so please, if you plan to do another map using this interesting style: First, think of a "Nadaus-like" layout, and second, make the lighting "a little" less violent...

Sacrimossa (in next pack: night setting with some more torches) and Morbias 4 will be patched for the bp/patch pack.

full: http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 056#p17056

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 22:03

Meh, I had more fun in Sacrimossa than in any other map of the pack.
ImageImage

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 22:17

UBerserker wrote:Meh, I had more fun in Sacrimossa than in any other map of the pack.

However I am glad that I build so different maps (serious layouts, more arena like layouts and a giant layout). BTW: Sent you a link to a slightly improved sacriossa over PM, wanna check it? Only lighting is changed, but maybe this version is a little bit better than 50 % :shy:

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 01:02

50% for Sacrimossa? That's just cruel...

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 01:28

Yeah I don't think whoever "reviewed" those maps has the slightest clue what the hell they're doing. "Oh this map is awesome and looks great and only has a few minor gameplay flaws and is awesome!!!! 80%. And this one is only ok, eh, it's an 85%. And this map I don't like the style of but it's technically great and lots of people like it, but because it's not my favorite thing in the world, it's a 65%." What? Oh and lol at the "it could be a 90 with only some more work on the texturing" - because a few misalignments are worth 5% of the raw score.

Sounds like just some random person with no qualifications rating the maps based on gut reactions rather than an actual unbiased review.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 09:27

I (partly) agree, he can map a lot better than writing reviews.
BTW: This "guy" has a name, like I mentioned.

Previous Next