ividyon will never get this done, will he.

UT99.org Community Map Pack 2 Screenshotpack 2

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 12:27

Feralidragon wrote:To avoid that, drop the Redeemer outside the pod.

Did it everywhere, but the changing loop still happens.
Anyway I went for the map's short route. The second map is a shitload of fun, especially when you have to blow up the Pupae inside the small passages.

I tried two of the Creavion maps: Kamah and Sacrimossa. What can I say about them? I simply say that their build impressed me more than anything released until now for UT1, included SP stuff. And these are just DM maps. Kamah uses Mekalopolis from UT3's OST, possibly the best track of the Tournament series out there.

Kamah is splendid, obviously the author had the ambition of making the map as good as the stuff from UT2k4 or even UT3. It's a combo of the beauty that those two games have to offer. Oh, and it's a beach, and the only one done well in UT1, at least from the ones that I have seen. I'd say the same thing regarding the jungle theme; probably everybody who played SP-Antalius wanted more jungles from Creavion.
Map needs 16 players or more to make it justice. The bots play well, get everything and like to hide in the plants...
Still remember the days when Creavion was starting to make it in the editor. Has been a good time indeed. Excellent.

Sacrimossa is one of the parents of UC2. Futuristic Egyptian theme, if you haven't played that game. The map is extremely detailed, and those pillars are tall enough to make you feel an ant compared to the place. It gave me this impression/feeling and I loved it. Insanely great, or greatest use of textures also.
Gameplay-wise, it's much easier to get into it than Kamah, even if telefragging at the UDamage's position can be sometimes annoying.

Time to see the rest. Some of the maps lag a lot though, especially the CTF ones.
ImageImage

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 12:41

UBerserker wrote:. Oh, and it's a beach, and the only one done well in UT1, at least from the ones that I have seen.

I would love to see such a beach at AS-Overlord, this map is so low standart.....but its theme is great. :|

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 12:46

UBerserker wrote:Kamah is splendid, obviously the author had the ambition of making the map as good as the stuff from UT2k4 or even UT3.

I could have sworn I was playing Crysis or something :lol:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 13:32

Nice to see that you guys like our pack.

But has anybody something to say about our new pickup system? :B
For many of us in the team it made mapping much more enjoyable. :)
Last edited by Creavion on 09 Jun 2009, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 13:32

Downloading :) (I've posted news at unreal.pl to promote this pack).
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 13:38

Creavion wrote:Nice to see that you guys like our pack.

But has anybody something to say about our new pickup system? :B
For many of us in the team it made mapping much more enjoyable. :)

We can easily throw the old pickup system in the dumpster, it's useless now.

You now get better looking powerups, countdown per powerup, an armor system which isn't confusing, finally some seconds of hope against Sniper Rifle users and the UBerserker pickup which is win.
Yep, win.
ImageImage

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 14:06

Well, sadly there are some online problems *caught*..
Hope this can be fixed, maybe with a/the patch-bonuspack

Edit: If you want to map with xpickups
http://www.ut99.org/utr/xpickups-mapper-manual.html
the manual is also online available, it show you everything what you can do with it. And trust me it is a lot, both in gameplay and in visual aspects. :D

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 15:03

@Redeemer: When you have the Dispersion Pistol the Redeemer switches to this weapon when you are outside of the radius. When you haven't the DP you'll have this loop. The problem is the script itself. Shadow scripted 4 different ways of throwing away but only this one works. I choosed the DP because this weapon has always ammo (so you can switch to that weapon).

I'm glad to hear that you like the mappack. There was a lot of hard work for every team member, especially for Creavion, Feralidragon and me, and I think it was worthwhile :)
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 15:50

Yeah, the Conrop works perfectly if you don't have the Dispersion Pistol. Still, the missile puzzles are so hard that will make Asia Carrera cry. Had to resort to slomo 0 :o
ImageImage

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 21:15

You don't start out with the DP though :/

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 21:21

Shivaxi wrote:You don't start out with the DP though :/

Which you get a bit later though, and you have to killall dispersionpistol (and it didn't work for me...).

The first version I played had the DP at the beginning, but it didn't make any sense for you to have it inside a prison. I suggested some modifications regarding the first part of the map and were done. The only thing which wasn't changed is the first Skaarj Gunner who still attack you. I envisioned a scripted sequence in which he gets killed in a way, and you get the Eightball to get out.
If there aren't enough people who will complain about the very beginning, it won't be changed.
ImageImage

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 21:30

UBerserker wrote:The first version I played had the DP at the beginning, but it didn't make any sense for you to have it inside a prison.

It's obvious that you have no weapon as a prisoner. So I made my own script without the DP (wich was in your first Beta map already) but it didn't work with Oldskool so I took the VRikers gamtype that works well and I made a bottle and bread to regenerate life.

I'll release an improved version without bugs in the next bonuspack. The beginning there will be different ;) ...
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 21:33

editor Dave wrote:
UBerserker wrote:The first version I played had the DP at the beginning, but it didn't make any sense for you to have it inside a prison.

It's obvious that you have no weapon as a prisoner. So I made my own script without the DP (wich was in your first Beta map already) but it didn't work with Oldskool so I took the VRikers gamtype that works well and I made a bottle and bread to regenerate life.

I'll release an improved version without bugs in the next bonuspack. The beginning there will be different ;) ...

I didn't have a problem with the beginning. It took me a second to realize I had to stand in front of the door so the Skaarj Gunner would blow the door open for me...but it wasn't all that hard to figure out :wink:

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 21:53

Just noticed a problem with ctf-dargrok. The mountains in the skybox are not bMasked...so u see this big black texture with rocks painted on it :P

And on a side note, when your up in the air like on a tower or a sniper spot, the game drops to like 10 FPS :/
Last edited by Shivaxi on 10 Jun 2009, 21:38, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009, 22:05

Wow I am damn impressed. That featureset is really awesome; you guys ported and improved a lot of UT3 features (except the visuals, but hey, this is a 10 year old game and you guys came pretty close!).

I'm not as much of a fan of the ubiquitous UT3-style pickup spawners for weapons and items. For me, those are good for basically only two things: making weapons more visible and looking nice. On the other hand, they also discourage the sort of subtle creativity we used to see in UT99 maps where authors would lay out weapons in certain ways, like in AS-Mazon for example, where you would grab guns out of boxes and stuff. If AS-Mazon was made with this style, you'd just have your standard little thing on the ground with some particles emitting out of it and your gun spinning in midair. That gets boring after a while. The pickup spawners have a place, but I wish they didn't appear in every single map. I also like it when maps make certain pickups more difficult to spot, as it rewards exploration more than a big glowing neon "GRAB THIS" indicator. I do acknowledge that highly-visible pickups are preferable in a competitive setting, though.

Regardless of my opinion, though, you guys obviously put a lot of work into the system and I'm sure it works really well in your maps. Great job!

Previous Next