ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Golden Compass Movie Ending (Spoilers)

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2007, 12:29

To be honest, my reading of the book series is that the CHURCH is the evil force, not God.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Re: Golden Compass Movie Ending (Spoilers)

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2007, 18:39

Skaarj22 wrote:I saw The Golden Compass yesterday. Quite a good movie, faithful to the book... up to the end. What did everybody think of this ending? I, for one, was very disappointed.

I've just seen it. I was a bit disappointed by the ending, too, but I knew in advance that the last act would be missing. I guess that those events (concerning Lord Asriel and Roger) were seen as a bit too horrific to form the last scene of what is meant to be a family film. Hopefully those scenes will go onto the beginning of the second film to really kick the plot into gear. The Subtle Knife is, after all, a shorter book.

I'm really looking forward to Part II now. And I want to read the books again all of a sudden! :tup:

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2007, 15:49

I saw it with some friends.

We thought it sucked. For me, it was extremely uninteresting and seemed like it tried too hard, slapping a bunch of trilogy cut-and-paste ideas around whenever it seemed the story needed to move along. It also jumped around so much I never got a chance to really understand (or care about) any of the people or what was going on. It also didn't help that some of the character names, when introduced, sounded like someone was calling out things from the menu at starbucks.

I don't know if the book is different, and I hope it is...but this movie reeked of "let's cash in on all the trilogy ruckus going about lolz".

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2007, 18:15

Mister_Prophet wrote: It also jumped around so much I never got a chance to really understand (or care about) any of the people or what was going on.

Thats also true in 99% movies I saw the last 5 years; seems to be a major problem with new movies, they jump around in location and characters like the producers stuffed 3 movies into one. The perfect example is ''Pirates of the caribbean 3''. Every single minute a brand new location with new characters, confusing the crap out of me.........

After I watched such a movie it always a joy to flush away the bad aftertaste with a Alien 3-DVD on my 45'' screen. :o They knew how to make good movies one and two decades ago.

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2007, 18:55

Ugh, don't get me started on those terrible Pirates movie. I dunno how they brainwashed millions of people into liking that trash.

But there are good movies around, it's just harder to spot them lately. I blame the Matrix. Ever since that movie came out (the 1999-2000 era), more and more movies just really suck while fewer and fewer good movies seem to come around.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2007, 19:29

Mister_Prophet wrote:Ugh, don't get me started on those terrible Pirates movie.

Not really on that. There's even something worse than those: Brainless Movie with Giant Robots.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2007, 19:38

You know I was kinda giving the Transformer movie a chance for a little while when I saw it....

...then they started to talk....and there was no turning back.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2007, 00:25

Sorry you didn't enjoy it, Proph.

I'd still recommend the books. I believe that there are a lot of genuinely original concepts to be found there. The real cleverness of the story doesn't hit you, though, IMO, until you see the world that the second book starts in, and the scope of the story all falls into place. I must admit that I had misgivings on reading the first book for the first time, but the start of the second book was a turning point for me, and now I love the whole series.

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2007, 02:48

I'm sure the books are much better. I'm almost kicking myself for watching the film adaptation first...but alas :(

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2007, 04:42

Good movie. ? heh

Go find an old one called Hotel Hell, if you havn't seen it.

Said up earlier this movie was from the lord of the rings people, well I don't go for those , seemed like star wars or those legend,story, type of things.
I am sure Mr prophet could explain what I mean better.

Hey mr proph ! you know cisco and ebert are pretty much done with, go apply for a job at that, hell you seen so many, you would be good at it.
(just don't show up looking like your
Just ban everyone

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2007, 05:16

redeye wrote:

Said up earlier this movie was from the lord of the rings people, well I don't go for those , seemed like star wars or those legend,story, type of things.
I am sure Mr prophet could explain what I mean better.

I actually liked the Rings movies. I never read the books and really didn't pay the first movie any attention when they were advertising for it. I had a friend who was a big Tolkien freak and he would always talk it up. He'd say things like "it's better than Star Wars". I grew up on the Star Wars, so I'd always chuckle at him about it. We saw the Fellowship when it came out and after a slow first half-hour...somehow I got sucked into the movie. By the credits I was totally into the Rings.

I think it was like that for a lot of people, and it was the first real saga/trilogy in cinema since Star Wars that really gave me that geek chill. When the Star Wars Prequels turned out to be real crappy, it kinda made the LOTR that much more important.

Anyway, you're right. Hollywood won't waste a second to suck any successful idea dry, especially in the CGI age. Since the Rings and the SW comeback prequels it's suddenly Trilogy fever. And I've grown weary of it. It's all the same looking stuff now. There's no wonder in any of these new ones (I exclude the Harry Potter movies on the grounds that they aren't really a Trilogy and the movies themselves aren't bad. Granted, I've only seen the last three and the 3rd one was the only one that stood out, but hey..it's lightyears better than the Chronics, the Matrixes, the Underworlds, the Resident Evils, the Pirates, and this Golden Compass snooze fest). Just like every other good idea, Hollywood seems to have sucked the life out of the epic trilogy concept.

The Bourne movies are supposed to kick a lot of ass though. I've only seen the first one and that was surprisingly cool. In the words of that guy from The Forty Old Virgin, "I always thought Matt Damon was a Streisand but...I think he's rocking the shit in this one."

But any fantasy/trilogy idea that comes up just fails to interest me. All these movies seem to be either bland adaptations of a far better book or they are action sagas that seem hellbent on doing everything the Matrix did until bullet time shoot outs and Music Video directional style become the only thing anyone born in the mid/late nineties knows about cinema. Hell, even the Matrix was an action spin-off of a smarter movie. You may have heard of it, it was called Dark City.

And they really gotta stop rebooting old franchises that don't need sequels. I liked Die Hard 4, but I didn't need a Die Hard 4. Most of the time they screw up a classic, and that's not just a bad movie experience...that's just blasphemy. Terminator 4 being directed by McG, the genius behind such epic films like Charlie's Angels and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle? They should have stopped at 2. Rocky 6 and Rambo 4 back to back with an aged Stallone who acts like he's had a stroke recently (which, to be fair, isn't too much different than he was in the 80s)? Indiana Jones after a 20 year hiatus? And don't get me started on remakes...especially horror movie remakes...and on top of that horror movie remakes of classics that do not need to be remade.

Oh look at that I've gone on a rant. Apologies...

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2007, 06:27

Sounds about right to me, you are right, seems only a few movies capture my interest.
I'v been watching those old movies on TCM, man those were the days of freedom, and you just watch them.Next thing you know, you end up watching another.

Just wondering, but ages ago we rented a movie called"Brazil", and we voted it as the most boring,funky movie EVER.
If you ever get a chance to see it you will remeber it like me, it was oh so wierd and when it's done you wonder what the hell were we supposed to see.It had to do with "red tape", paper work, a form for everything, .It had like ventalation tubes all full of paperwork, LoL.

Go watch hotel Hell one time if you havn't seen it, but don't judge by me, I like dumb stupid stuff like Kung fu thatre, if you remember that on TV.
Or invasion of the giant ants stuff, hehe.

OH HEY that new one comming out, where he is the last person on earth, that looks like my style of movie.
Just ban everyone

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2007, 07:31

redeye wrote:Just wondering, but ages ago we rented a movie called"Brazil", and we voted it as the most boring,funky movie EVER.
If you ever get a chance to see it you will remeber it like me, it was oh so wierd and when it's done you wonder what the hell were we supposed to see.It had to do with "red tape", paper work, a form for everything, .It had like ventalation tubes all full of paperwork, LoL.

Brazil is a weird movie for sure, but if you could give that one a chance I'd suggest checking out his other movies. Particularly Twelve Monkeys and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Terry Gilliam is one of those crazy visionary directors that are far and few between. Though, because of that you really have to develop a taste for his style. Kinda like David Lynch (but not that insane).

redeye wrote:
OH HEY that new one comming out, where he is the last person on earth, that looks like my style of movie.

Yeah, I Am Legend. I'm not really a fan of Will Smith, but this movie looks cool. I saw the Omega Man a long time ago when I was a kid (older version of the book adaptation) but this new take seems really neat. I love apocalyptic themes. And monsters :o

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2007, 23:13

IMO year 2000 was the turning point, after the millennium everything got worse instantly. 1985-1999 was the peak of moviemaking, Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line, Heat (redux), Braveheart, Alien 2-4, T2, SW finale etc.... And what now?

In my opinion one of the biggest factors is that computer modding & special effects expanded so rapidly after year 2000 - I dont have anything against digitally-made special effects, but if you notice that they were made with a computer it always ruins the whole secne if not the movie. And that happens far to often to me.

And now all movies are STUFFED with them, but technology still isnt good enough to fool most people, so the movies past 2000 -the turning point-just emberass themselves.

I blame all computer made special effects.

No, I wont start a rant about missing storyline or character development getting replaced with brainsmashing special effects......

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2007, 23:33

Lots of great movies after the turn of the century imo.

* Lost in Translation
* Babel
* Dare mo Shiranai
* Spirited Away

to name only a few

Previous Next