UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Daikatana etc (split from UT3 news thread)

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2007, 13:19

Amen Mman, you basically summed up all our thoughts of everything that was flawed about that game. You're right, its pretty much some cheap anime fanfic put together as a game, with a complete disregard to everything else :o

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2007, 19:26

Frieza wrote:I tried out the demo of Daikatana on two occasions and came to the conclusion that the game is unplayable and just totally not fun in any way. And it looked very unattractive (even at the time it came out).

You cannot judge game by a demo much. That demo was very badly done and it showed probably also the worst level in game too.
The demo has lead some people to hate the game.

Mman wrote:And why the hell is a time-controlling warlord guarding his fortress with a swamp full of robofrogs and roboflies?

It is in the future and the species there are probably dead, so they created these ones as a fake to simulate the nature, plus it seems that they can control them and use them as guards too in case of some security breach.
That is what I thought about it.

You need to use your imagination a lot.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2007, 20:49

This thread has changed its purpose... :(
ImageImage

User avatar Turboman

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2007, 21:58

Mick.B wrote:You need to use your imagination a lot.

you mean use your imagination in the same way as sh1tty mappacks like cms? :lol:

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2007, 22:06

UBerserker wrote:This thread has changed its purpose... :(

Well yeah, could we go back on topic pls?

To Turboman: What do you mean? I guess not...
Well it is just dependend on how you play through the Daikatana and your point of view, I am saying that it is not that bad as it is being said perhaps and some people might like it.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 03:29

The split was a good idea.

Mick.B wrote:You need to use your imagination a lot.

Or not. Daikatana just didn't have any attention paid to the details of its backstory and plot. There's just way too many holes to believe that in any way.

Games like Half Life 2 can somewhat get away with the "imagination" excuse as its obvious that a decent amount of attention was given to the story and how it all comes together (in terms of things like character motivation). When the story is put together decently it's not a huge stretch to assume that the rest of the game world (that the characters come from) had a good amount of thought put into it as well.

I don't really pay much attention to story holes if they're not totally glaring (not until after I finish playing anyway), despite that, the ones in Daikatana were still impossible to avoid. When it's obvious no effort was put into making the story make sense in itself, it stands to reason that no effort was put into the world behind it either.

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 11:56

Hey, I like Daikatana, didn't get to the last chapter, becasue it kept exitng to windows while loading... Good siedes of Daiakatana, was the skins ( really nice designs for NPC's, weapons and other puckups), the music, and the sounds, i really liked the sounds. And the music, music was really cool. There were some cool fights as well, lets not be so brutal about that, of course some them were tough because our sidekicks died all the time but... I would give it a strong 7+/10.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 14:30

Kaka wrote:Hey, I like Daikatana, didn't get to the last chapter, becasue it kept exitng to windows while loading... Good siedes of Daiakatana, was the skins ( really nice designs for NPC's, weapons and other puckups), the music, and the sounds, i really liked the sounds. And the music, music was really cool. There were some cool fights as well, lets not be so brutal about that, of course some them were tough because our sidekicks died all the time but... I would give it a strong 7+/10.

Exactly. But you should play it all, because the storyline gets more interesting in the end IMO.
It has many flaws for sure, but it isn't that bad as many people say IMO and I find it better than many of the overrated crap games.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 15:47

Kaka wrote:There were some cool fights as well

I played the game a couple of weeks ago at the most and I can't remember a single fight that was anything more than either blowing away a cannon-fodder mob, getting frustrated by irritating enemies, or completely mundane.

User avatar cronodevir

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2007, 23:58

Strife is better than Unreal
I'm Garble and MrBlowtatoes

Skaarj22
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008, 20:59

The game was okayish. It didn't really have any standout qualities. And there was also a bad enemy selection. (Oh no! Killer frogs! :P )

Previous