UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Wing Commander IV DVD version.. anyone got this to work?

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk
Posts: 2213
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 15:11
Location: P46153

Subject: Wing Commander IV DVD version.. anyone got this to work?

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008, 21:05

Or should I say.. does anyone know this game? You play in a SF movie basically... but I can't get it to work. I've tried the solutions from http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.ph ... mmander+IV , but that is not working either... :? :(

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 440
Joined: 13 Nov 2007, 16:18
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008, 21:19

there's a dvd version of wc4? :shock:

i know the game, played it when i was 7 or so, i remember the often long interactive cutscenes, but i found the 3d space battles more memorable :o

so does this dvd version mean its enhanced to current standards? not only the movies but the actual spacecombat gameplay too?

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk
Posts: 2213
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 15:11
Location: P46153

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008, 22:14

now THAT is a good question.. LOL
the video is dvd quality.. eh.. that is.. they're in vob format.
I dont know what the quality was on the 6 cd's, but i guess the video quality is better on the dvd. As for the combat.. I have NO idea, since I haven't been able to play it so far.

I have the special 2 sided dvd, that you supposedly could play ONLY with a dxr card, but according to the forums that I mentioned, you should be able to play it without the card as well...

Tried.. but no luck so far..

Turboman wrote:so does this dvd version mean its enhanced to current standards? not only the movies but the actual spacecombat gameplay too?


No, it's still the old game. But the dvd standard just came up, so they converted the video to a better level...

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 440
Joined: 13 Nov 2007, 16:18
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008, 22:21

i still have the original game here, jewel case with 6 cd's :o however i couldn't play it for years since its still good ol' dos

i can hardly believe they are able to convert those old poststamp sized interlaced videos at 160x120 to a full fledged lcd 1080p size... but if they did then... wow :o

and to believe making the original game actually cost the developer several millions on filming those sets (and the losses it made because of that turned good ol' innovative EA into a fascist publisher regime)

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk
Posts: 2213
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 15:11
Location: P46153

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008, 22:47

Turboman wrote:i still have the original game here, jewel case with 6 cd's :o however i couldn't play it for years since its still good ol' dos

i can hardly believe they are able to convert those old poststamp sized interlaced videos at 160x120 to a full fledged lcd 1080p size... but if they did then... wow :o

and to believe making the original game actually cost the developer several millions on filming those sets (and the losses it made because of that turned good ol' innovative EA into a fascist publisher regime)


afaik it's 640x480.. and the game development cost....$10 mln
Besides.. you can run it in DOSbox. (http://www.dosbox.com/)

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 440
Joined: 13 Nov 2007, 16:18
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 02:33

thx about dosbox, i'm aware of that although i seem to be unable to run any game at decent performance under it (i couldn't even get 2fps in the first commander keen)


seriously? 640x480? it would explain why its 6cd's but i don't recall getting good vid quality at all in the game :/ (and it was heavily interlaced, even far worse then tv signal)

i also have the original wc3 here, also in mint condition :o although wc3 had even substantially lower video quality (it waas the first game to use the live action cutscenes so i believe)

imo the live action parts of the game were okayish, it was an obvious choice for a time when there was a new high capacity medium, and 3d technology was unavailable. although i've always found the cutscenes substantially less interesting then the actual space shooting scenes which imo is atleast on par with the freespace games :tup:

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk
Posts: 2213
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 15:11
Location: P46153

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 18:37

Rectification... the video size is 704 x 528
properties of the vob file gave:
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 384Kbps [AC-3]
Video: MPEG2 Video 704x480 (4:3) 29.97fps 7500kbps

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk
Posts: 2213
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 15:11
Location: P46153

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 19:33

I got it to work in XP. Video is nice.. rest is.. well.. pretty much outdated. The space combat n stuff is.. well.. yeah, from that timeperiod: blocky like lego's. Unfortunately... :/

Lets see if it's worth playing.. if not, I'll dump it on ebay... :P

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 440
Joined: 13 Nov 2007, 16:18
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 20:55

Darkon wrote:Rectification... the video size is 704 x 528
properties of the vob file gave:
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 384Kbps [AC-3]
Video: MPEG2 Video 704x480 (4:3) 29.97fps 7500kbps


thats... not the case with the 6cd version... i mean those specs are clearly dvd quality, i cannot even imagine any processing pc at that time could run such video quality at all (remember back when wc4 was released the fastest was a 486) so the version you have must have been remastered by no doubt!

Darkon wrote:I got it to work in XP. Video is nice.. rest is.. well.. pretty much outdated. The space combat n stuff is.. well.. yeah, from that timeperiod: blocky like lego's. Unfortunately... :/


you found the gameplay itself ugly? back when the game was new i found the gameplay alot prettier then the cutscenes :p
alteast it was at 640x480 resolution, whereas i certainly ermember the video's were the size of poststamps! and the interlacing issues! oh my they were so bad the scanlines were the size of my fingers :lol:


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests