UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Epic Games are *gasp* working on a new PC exclusive

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: Epic Games are *gasp* working on a new PC exclusive

Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012, 00:49

"The Unreal netcode at release was horrible."

LoL, they couldn't take quake 1's code, cuz my 14.4 modem kicked ass in quake.(and the only reason they made UT.)

I dunno but I think they could make an awesome second Unreal, hard playing, cool glitches from the old game extorted into some new secret or comedy act.

And buy the monsterhunt code and make it official, instead of that waves of enemy crap whatever it was called

Or side levels that are the original maps as secrets, it could be good c'mon I want my 12 dvd version of Unreal.ONLY for a PC, and no steem crap.
Just ban everyone

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 May 2012, 13:34

lol Epic Games CHINA

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04 ... e-monster/

No words though if this is the PC exclusive game they were talking about because there are others still not announced
ImageImage

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 19 May 2012, 03:13

Does not really matter what game they do, as long as it is a true PC game.

It would be great to have something like Unreal though. Unreal was never an action game for me, but an adventure game, a bit like Tomb Raider. You have that tropical, moisty place, full of ancient temples and ruins to explore. The sky looks like on earth at day, but reveals an almost surreal picture at night, where you can see nearby stars and suns. You often hear what sounds like giant animals roaring from afar. I can feel that muggy atmosphere when plaing Unreal. Very immersive.
I would like Unreal to develope more into that adventurer direction. I'd like to be able to climb and mantle. I'd like to have a more vertical gameplay, where you can climb ropes and swing to ledges, jump into water and climb on a giant mangrove like tree, only to observe the fantastic rocky landscape from the top. Kill all sorts of dangerous and hostile animals and stuff on the way.

That would be great.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 19 May 2012, 03:15

That WOULD be awesome. I've always wanted a huge open world to explore, especially with vehicles. Ground vehicles, I mean. Aircraft makes it too easy!

User avatar Psychomorph

Post Posted: 19 May 2012, 04:32

Uhh, open world. I am allergic to that term.

I like an open worl like approach, but only within a mission. Elder Scrolls open world? No thanks.
Just imagine the missions in Unreal, but larger and more complex. That I'd like.
Last edited by Psychomorph on 19 May 2012, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: 19 May 2012, 04:35

There wasn't really any mission in Unreal other than "do what you have to to stay alive as you wander through the world," which is what I'm getting at. We want the same things, here.

User avatar Psychomorph

Post Posted: 19 May 2012, 04:48

Btw, forgot to add the adventeurer survivalist aspect to Unreal that I like.

What I mean is that Unreal had the world separated in missions. Problem I always have with open world is the micromalism within the single world(map), like a city is just a castle, a village are just three huts, etc. That is why I down straight hate Elder Scrolls. Most immersion breaking way to make a world in my book. I'd prefer the game to be split into missions, but within the mission the world to be "full scaled" and full of options, but with a goal.

Another problem I personally have with open world is the go and do what you want aspect, which makes playing the game kind of pointless. There need to be a focus, a goal. I want to be send on a journey full of adventure, even if the goal is as simple as survive and find a way out. Within the boundary of a mission with a set goal, I'd like to have a lot of freedom to deal with the enemies and the environment as I see fit.

Post Posted: 19 May 2012, 05:09

You can definitely have all of those things in an open world environment. It's just up to the designers and budget (and engine technology at the time) to support it. Probably one of the big reasons you don't see big cities in TES is engine and art asset limitations, whereas the design side is somewhat more deliberately lax. But there's no real reason we can't have a future-tech engine with all sorts of fancy procedural stuff + level designers creating utterly enormous natural landscapes that are also filled with enormous, complicated installations and cities and the like. It's just a matter of getting enough people and money into such a project to make it happen. Epic, I think, has the resources to do it; the question is whether the tech is there or the demand from the gamer population. Sadly, more people seem to want the no-real-goal approach or smaller-scale environments.

Previous