ividyon will never get this done, will he.

think I'm gonna install Unreal 2 again

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: think I'm gonna install Unreal 2 again

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 22:50

Qtit wrote:Maybe you should go for UT3? Yea, I know UT3 doesn't have SP actors and scripts, but engines are pretty much similar and code used from Unreal 2 should work in UT3, and UT3 engine is so much superior to the one from Unreal 2...

Nah, we go for Unreal 227 not because of its engine, but because of its feel. Unreal '99 is... THE Unreal... Others are just Unreals. We are fans of this particular game.

If someone succeeds in creating the same gameplay and atmosphere and feel in Unreal 2 or Unreal 3 engine... Well, I'd bow my head.
The Legasy exteriors have something in them, an element which is very similar to the one from Unreal '99 despite the incredible detail. As it comes to interiors, well, it has too much of UT3 style for me.

Ya I hear ya, I like the feel of UT as well.I did finally install the 227 for Unreal gold.

I been tinkering around with the U2 NyLeve, I guess the only best way is to only use terrains as an addition to brushes to be practical and keep the map sort of the same.

If people would investigate how well U2 is for pawns I think you can make even a better level than tons of other games.

So I guess with Nyleve I will be shooting for the same map, somewhat, but just have it bigger and more jungle fighting and use lots of the pawns.Just make it hard to beat but not overkill spam either.I could add in secrets and other areas as well.
Last edited by redeye on 21 Aug 2012, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
Just ban everyone

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012, 01:37

There are too many hurdles with Unreal 2 for it to be better for SP mapping than Unreal, IMO. Without a translator, a mapper who can't code or use voice actors would have a much more difficult time of setting up plots compared to Unreal.

evilgrins wrote:
AlCapowned wrote:Only the Xbox version had co-op. I'm trying to get it to work for the PC version, but I can't figure out how to make it work even though I managed to add the relevant code.

By co-op do you mean summoned in bots? Cuz the standard normal marines automatically work with you, though they don't take commands. Anything that threatens you they just go after it.

Nope, I mean actual co-op with another player. Any other game that doesn't let you play with other people doesn't count as a co-op game, otherwise games like Quake 4 would be co-op games just for having the player fight alongside human AI.

Qtit wrote:The Legasy exteriors have something in them, an element which is very similar to the one from Unreal '99 despite the incredible detail. As it comes to interiors, well, it has too much of UT3 style for me.

That's how I feel about Legacy, too. You should check out Sly's remake, though. It's in the same thread as Legacy and looks much closer to Unreal in style, but Sly hasn't made as much progress.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012, 02:51

Noooo no no, I bet it is much easier to setup voice, or print, they have a whole dialog system.I believe you could make the pawns say different things given the circumstances, one trigger makes them say one thing, and another they say a different thing, all done in one text file for that actor. etc etc

I am guessing but it looks that way to me.

contnets a .DLG file looks like they are tied in, per map title.(there are more files for this map)
[Root]
Conversation=Acheron_13_002
Conversation=Acheron_13_003
Conversation=Acheron_13_004
Conversation=Acheron_13_005x

[Acheron_13_002]
SpokenMax=0
TalkRadius=-1
Enabled=False
TurnToSpeaker=False
Satellite=
Speaker=TheHitcher
LongText=Get me outta here!
SoundFile=M06_Acheron_A.Acheron_13.Acheron_13_002,Player

[Acheron_13_003]
SpokenMax=0
TalkRadius=-1
Enabled=False
TurnToSpeaker=False
Satellite=
Speaker=TheHitcher
LongText=Damn door!
SoundFile=M06_Acheron_A.Acheron_13.Acheron_13_003,Player

[Acheron_13_004]
SpokenMax=0
TalkRadius=-1
Enabled=False
TurnToSpeaker=False
Satellite=
Speaker=TheHitcher
// (Tugging on door)
LongText=Freakin' ... door!
SoundFile=M06_Acheron_A.Acheron_13.Acheron_13_004,Player

[Acheron_13_005x]
TalkRadius=-1
Satellite=
HideChoices=True
Speaker=Player
LongText=No hitchhikers.
SoundFile=M06_Acheron_A.Acheron_13.Acheron_13_005,Player
HideChoices=true
Just ban everyone

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012, 09:55

To date I've only played one community SP pack for Unreal 2, and it was a zombie themed one. Was interested in the past in doing something for the game, SP wise, but the combination of my lack of enthusiasm for the game and lack of players to map for swayed me away.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012, 17:47

I looked at the dialog thing a little bit, it has an actual editor for it.But everything needs to be tied in somehow that I haven't learned.I will say everything is there to make one killer SP map.Has all the emitters, and AI, a use function.I am going to keep puttering around and see about all this stuff, has objectives and is confusing.

I agree that the game went too far away from Unreal, but that is just the maps THEY made.
Just ban everyone

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012, 00:16

You see right at the bottom of the forum it has this

"Legend :: Administrators, UnrealSP.Org Staff"

You see Legend knows what it's doing. :P
Just ban everyone

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Location: STILL hanging around the back of the Rikers wreck, wondering what the hell that buzzing noise is.

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012, 13:32

I played this for this first time this morning.

Yeah, it is entirely dissimilar to the original, but as a game I don't think it's bad at all.
"If that bitch in Cell 4A keeps looking at me funny, I swear I'm going to rip out her larynx!"

Previous