A random sentence for a random mind.

Unreal: Prophet's Power DEAN WESLEY SMITH [Discussion]

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Unreal: Prophet's Power DEAN WESLEY SMITH [Discussion]

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013, 18:45

I didn't find any thread about it.
What do you think about the book?
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Unreal: Prophet's Power DEAN WESLEY SMITH [Discussion]

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013, 04:02

I want this one too... I have Hard Crash and now I want this one!!!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013, 09:13

I'm glad to hear it. :D
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013, 04:30

Before you start reading either of the books you'd better take note of this:
The author, Ryan Hughes , June 30, 1998
Not my fault!
Many readers of "Hard Crash" might have felt that the book seemed to start in the middle of things and jump around a lot on its way to an ending. If they get to PROPHET'S POWER, book #2 in the Unreal series, they will find the beginning of the story, rather than a continuation.

There's a very simple explanation for all this. The covers got swapped in publication. As for the jumping around within each book, well, Dean Wesley Smith and I each wrote a single book, but they were shuffled together chapter-by-chapter and divided in half again to make two volumes in the series. We knew that was going to happen, so we planned the chapters to compliment each other; we just didn't expect the covers to be swapped or the bylines to read "Ryan Hughes" on one and "Dean Wesley Smith" on the other rather than both names on both books.

One last little snafu: chapters 14 and 15 of HARD CRASH got switched with chapters 16 and 17. Read 16 and 17 first, then go back and read 14 and 15.

I know it sounds like a total disaster, and believe me, from the author's viewpoint it feels like it, but Dean and I do feel that we wrote a couple of decent books. If you want to read what WE wrote, in the way we wrote it, then get both books, start with PROPHET'S POWER and read just the "First Occupation" sections, then continue with the "First Occupation" sections in HARD CRASH. That will be Dean's book. Then go back to PROPHET'S POWER and read the "Second Occupation" sections, and finish off with those sections in HARD CRASH. That will be my book. (Don't forget the two chapters out of order.)

I know, I know, it shouldn't take a road map to read a book! Presumably when they reprint these they'll fix the problem, but for now, that's the way to get the best reading experience.

My thanks to everyone with the patience and/or interest to try it that way--I sincerely hope you enjoy the books.
StalwartUK

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013, 11:05

Is there a plot summary of those books anywhere? I've always been interested, but I just don't have them or any means to acquire them.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013, 15:18

Yea, I'd want to get my hands on these books as well but it's just... They are not there! Or I am really bad at searching.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013, 15:23

WAIT! I've just (randomly) found this one and the Hard Crash by Ryan Hughes e-books on my hard drive... WTF? Are there any other?

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013, 14:43

Z-enzyme wrote:WAIT! I've just (randomly) found this one and the Hard Crash by Ryan Hughes e-books on my hard drive... WTF? Are there any other?

Nope. Just the two.

They're only a few $ each off Amazon.com at the moment. Slightly more expensive on European Amazons.

Read Hard Crash several years ago and thought it was quite good. Never got to the end of Prophet's Power. Just left it one day and never managed to get back to it.
StalwartUK

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013, 14:48

Oh, that's a pity. I'm gonna read em this weekend.
Still, question remains. How did they magically appeared on my hard drive? That is to be unknown to me.

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013, 23:38

Maybe you downloaded them one day and completely forgot about em?
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013, 23:56

That might be the case here. My brain looks like a cheese now with all it's memory holes and crap... Well, important thing is that I do have them :D

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013, 23:10

So,as we know there were 3 castles side by side. Dnarltop so on...
May somebody can draw a map about the attacks,roads etc...???
And of course, upload here.