Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

AoE2 is goty all years

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: AoE2 is goty all years

Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013, 23:31

Turboman wrote:Bah, an AOE2 re-imaging? They should totally redo TOTAL ANNIHILATION WHICH IS THE BESTEST GAME EVER MADE!!!

To be fair, between TA: Spring and the massive amount of mods for the original game it kind of already has been.
Formerly Mman

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013, 00:30

Isn't Supreme Commander a sequel to Total Annihilation...?

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013, 01:44

Turboman wrote:Bah, an AOE2 re-imaging? They should totally redo TOTAL ANNIHILATION WHICH IS THE BESTEST GAME EVER MADE!!!

It's just a re-release with buzzwords and a few changes on top.

Also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_Annihilation

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013, 09:42

UBerserker wrote:With AoE2 on Steam you don't need to be always online (no lost progress if connection is lost, I'm looking at you Blizzard/Diablo3 - EA/SimCity)

I've just got such a bad taste left in my mouth from when I couldn't play half life 2, portal and everything else in the orange box for a whole year because I lacked an internet connection and steam wouldn't let me log in and go into offline mode. For fucks sake, it's a single player game!

UBerserker wrote: Literally you would hate every game on PC at this point (like Fallout New Vegas and Serious Sam 3)

Pretty much :P I don't play games any more except for old ones. I don't even keep up with gaming news anymore. Unreal and UT still get regular hours wasted on them, and I play insane amounts of AOE2 with my family. With that said, the moment the next unreal game is announced I'm probably going to build a modern gaming rig just to play it :P

Z-enzyme wrote:And THAT is why I'm sticking to Unreal.

+1 QFT :tup: \o/ [/Thread]
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013, 11:20

I suggest one day to forget that bad taste as you'll forced to do that when a new Unreal (aka never) comes out! (and to play other amazing games as well!)
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013, 12:59

Z-enzyme wrote:Isn't Supreme Commander a sequel to Total Annihilation...?

More like spiritual successor, and extremely flawed at that. It's a good game, but it is far from TA. Forged Alliance is a lot better than SupCom vanilla, but has the same issues.

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey

Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013, 00:49

Also supreme commander 2 is trash and I have an extensive cheat file for cheat engine for things that i've reverse engineered in the game. Fuck lobbies, and fuck idiots. Man those people are stupid.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013, 02:54

Yeah, don't even bother with SupCom2 unless you want to play a really poor successor to an OK successor to a really awesome game.

Also, I've never played AoE 1 or 2, so I will have to check this out maybe if I find time for it I guess?

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013, 09:16

AoE2 was fun for me for a bit in early 2000s, but I lost interest in RTSes completely since then.

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013, 01:13

i know the feeling. Subsequent RTS's didn't do it for me and I didn't play any for a lawng time. but the moment we picked up a $10 bargain bin version of AOE2 a few months ago it's been non-stop siege warfare :D

User avatar StalwartUK

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013, 07:14

My post was... a little strong. The whole subject (DRM) is pretty much a hot topic at the moment (see the new SimCity game if you need an expample) and a 10+ year old game being wheeled out stuffed to the gills with DRM I find questionable to say the least. $20 for what is basically a new patch is a bit excessive. Thanks to Steam I'll probably cost a bit more for me due to their regional pricing policy.

I was dissapointed by the exceptions of "HD graphics" the trailer promised. All they've done is upped the resolution! So everything will now be the size of ants. Sounds like real fun.

I wouldn't mind playing more AOE2 online but the game doesn't want to work half the time and the community around it is terrible. I used to play AOE1 online but I quit that game too for similar reasons.

As for those saying Total Annihilation was the best I'll agree. I don't think I've ever had as much fun with a RTS game ever as I had with TA. Too bad "Total Annihilation: Kingdoms" killed off that series.
StalwartUK

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013, 09:18

StalwartUK wrote:I was dissapointed by the exceptions of "HD graphics" the trailer promised. All they've done is upped the resolution! So everything will now be the size of ants. Sounds like real fun.

Hey, the water is all new, too!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013, 10:50

the size of ants thing isn't actually an issue at all in my experience playing aoe2 in HD. The units aren't so small that you find it hard to make them out/select them, imho they're sized perfectly.

User avatar Gizzy

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013, 20:36

Previous