ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Looking for tech recommendations: Headset & Mouse

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Looking for tech recommendations: Headset & Mouse

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013, 17:47

Hi lads,

it's upgrade time for me again, as both my mouse and my headset are literally falling apart (my headset's left earphone only hangs on by its thin cable at the moment, the plastic already snapped). I need the following items:

- An ambidextrous mouse with side buttons on the right side (I'm left-handed and don't want to use "lefty" products ever again, as those mice actually hardwire-swap the mouse buttons which is plain stupid)
- A headset complete with microphone (focus on: comfort, durability, microphone quality, optionally being able to talk on the mic despite loud noises from an open window and/or fan)

Sadly I haven't bought either type of product in years, so I have no clue what's good and what is not. They should be moderately cheap; I expect to spend a maximum of 35€ for the headphones and ~50€ for the mouse. Any ideas and pointers would be appreciated!

- Ivan
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: Looking for tech recommendations: Headset & Mouse

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013, 23:08

The mouse I use is a Logitech G5 series right handed mouse, so no help there. I know a lot of people swear by Razer mice and they have some neat looking ambidextrous models with a bajillion buttons, but I haven't used any of their products personally. I think most Razer mice might be out of your budget though.

The headset I use is a Logitech H330. It wasn't super expensive (Like $20-30 USD). The sound quality is good enough for me, but I'm not an audiophile. The mic quality seems alright. It is comfortable to wear. The only drawbacks is that it does pick up some background noise. I've never had it be an issue unless a fan is blowing directly into the mic, but if your mom is walking by you might want to let go of your push to talk key.

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013, 01:16

I was SERIOUSLY thinking Razer as I have a DeathAdder...
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013, 02:33

I have a DeathAdder left-handed edition. It's pretty much the only left-handed mouse in the universe! It served me well, but having to fuck with mouse bindings (and some games not ACCEPTING Windows' "swap mouse buttons" feature) was very annoying and it started double-clicking a bit too early imo.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013, 03:04

I used a logitech G7 for years and it was wonderful. unfortunately right only...

Currently using a gigabyte aviva mouse of some sort. It does pretty well. Headphones, I've been using some creative fatality headphoens for years and they've been great. There's a bit of static as I've turned the volume way up a few too many times.

I think with these sorts of things, in the end you just have to bite the bullet and learn about Hz and baud rates and DPI and other semi-technical stuff, then compare what's out there. If you truly want bang for buck a little bit of solid research can go a long way.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013, 07:51

All I can say is that Logitech make very good headsets and mice. Razer is good but expensive. A quick look found me this for headsets:

Cheap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826104214

Not Cheap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826104399 - This one I actually used to have, or a similar model. From experience, it's very good.

Of Course if money is not an issue...try looking at Medusa headphones. Should be easy for you since they're UK based I believe.

As for mice...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826104618 - This one is actually pretty interesting that I just found. It's cheap and it seems nice. The buttons aren't particularly on the side, sort of lol...but yeah...

But if we look at Razer... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826153115 - I think there's your choice ;) ambidextrous...side buttons...etc. Price isnt too bad either.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar dragon
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014, 18:59

Then you shave!

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014, 08:27

dragon wrote:Then you shave!

What...?

Oh yeah, since it seems I forgot to update this thread: I settled on a SteelSeries Sensei Raw Rubberized and a Sennheiser PC 320. :) The Sensei's mouse wheel is already starting to fail me, though, as scrolling down often has it scroll up a notch for no reason. It seems I need to oil it, but I've little experience with that.

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014, 23:44

I think he meant "save", I dunno. And you got something with the word "sensei" in it... Ok, senpai. :P I'm sticking with my Saitek Cyborg keyboard and Razer DeathAdder although I'm having issues with my keyboard.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

NaPaliShore
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014, 14:08

Jigoku wrote:I think he meant "save", I dunno.

I thought it was a joke about using your "Razer" to "shave"...

User avatar dragon
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014, 14:52

yes a razor mouse lol

well I use a Logitech gaming mouse and a Logitech keyboard
I have a g106 kb and a older game mouse a g300 that's what I am using right now

xRedStar
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014, 07:36

If you're looking for accuracy, just buy a Logitech M100 at Walmart. High DPI and cutting edge laser technology is a technical excuse for having leverage in a game. I play Quake Live and Unreal Tournament pretty good with just the use of a $5.00 mouse. I'm not lying, this mouse is made of cheap materials and is very light weight. I'd be surpised if it even weighed a pound, but the issue with Razor and those big time brands is that they tend to put weight in their mice and they also have very strange shapes. Instead, if you're wanting Accuracy to be honest it really has a lot to do with your hand and mouse pad. Can you pick up the mouse easily or move it easily, or is the mouse too big or is it too strange feeling. Just buy something easy to use, simplicity is convenience... and you'll get used to it much easier.

The same version of my Mouse below...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I'd say that some of the Professional Quake players actually use a simple mouse that is only $5.00 because they are easy to adapt to. Just saying, even the gaming brands for Logitech are fairly stupid. I've bought lots of different mice, and they all were pretty annoying and difficult to aim with.

also, I have a Razor keyboard which has really nice dynamic color lights on each key.. but I have spent on this crap before and came out pretty bad.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014, 00:31

I must admit, gaming mice are a bit of a forbidden fruit for me: The moment I tried one I realised I could never go back to a normal mouse.

Unfortunately this made me suck whenever we had LAN parties on the school computers. They all had standard mouses and every time I got fragged I would be a poor sport and blame it on the mouse. If I had just stuck with the crappy logitech one that came with my computer I would have been able to whoop anyone, anywhere, with anything (anyhow....)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

xRedStar
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014, 08:12

Well, you may had misunderstood my point. Companies tend to be concerned about the technical half of the hardware, whereas most of the difficulty with using mice rely on the weight and how large or strange it feels. The difficulty with Razor mice is that they all tend to come in different shapes and sizes, and then some of them are heavy and as it is your hand doing most of the controlling and precision you will miss position the mouse constantly due to high DPI and a heavier mouse. At least from experience, I am pretty sure a simple mouse turns out being better for gamers. If you ask me, the Razor Mice is just a gimmick in which I spent a bit of money on in the past. The feel of having bought a simple mouse on the market for only $5.00 is whats good bro... besides, what good is a Razor mouse if you're not into competitive gaming.

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014, 08:52

xRedStar wrote:Well, you may had misunderstood my point. Companies tend to be concerned about the technical half of the hardware, whereas most of the difficulty with using mice rely on the weight and how large or strange it feels. The difficulty with Razor mice is that they all tend to come in different shapes and sizes, and then some of them are heavy and as it is your hand doing most of the controlling and precision you will miss position the mouse constantly due to high DPI and a heavier mouse. At least from experience, I am pretty sure a simple mouse turns out being better for gamers. If you ask me, the Razor Mice is just a gimmick in which I spent a bit of money on in the past. The feel of having bought a simple mouse on the market for only $5.00 is whats good bro... besides, what good is a Razor mouse if you're not into competitive gaming.
I have never had a problem with a mouse DPI being too high, and you are the first I've ever heard write of one being too high.

I changed from a g5 to a g400s about a month ago.

Next