Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

The Dark Mod 2.0 (Thief related)

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: The Dark Mod 2.0 (Thief related)

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013, 10:48

http://www2.thedarkmod.com/main/

Since the newest Thief is going to suck, being as un-Thief as possible, here's something cool.
This is a Thief mod created out of Doom 3. However, it's completely standalone now. And of course free.
Just take a look, Thief fans will surely like it.
ImageImage

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: The Dark Mod 2.0 (Thief related)

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013, 20:13

I've been downloading this for the past two afternoons via their torrent. I really want to play this but apparently so does everybody else.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013, 00:35

Usually when a lot of people want a torrent, the dl rate maxes out to a ridiculous speed (I've managed to get 34 MB/S before). Have you accidentally put artificial limits on your dl and upload rates?
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013, 00:51

Possibly, although that might be a default setting I just haven't changed in my client.
ModDb Portfolio

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013, 09:15

Alright, so I gave this a try with the tutorial and on the provided mission Tears of St. Lucia, and I have to say that I'm goddamned impressed.

The most astounding thing about this mod that popped out at me immediately is that it looks as visually interesting as Thief 3, but has the aesthetic theme of the first two Thief games (especially 2).

It's also great that they stuck as closely to the original Thief universe's content while completely removing copyrighted labels like Garret, the City, Mechanists, and so on, but were still able to keep the concept of the Builders and their relics intact.

So the gameplay, the largest component of a Thief game next to Sound (really they're so intertwined anyway), was the most astounding surprise. The majority of movement and interaction controls feel almost identical to the first two Thief games, but in some cases have been improved so very well.

Mantling, a key method of movement and navigation, was workable in the first two games, but had contact issues where you would jump in place rather than climb up onto an elevated platform because you weren't looking at the ledge at just the right angle, causing guards to hear you or just general annoyance as you tried again and again to climb a simple ledge. However, the extremely satisfying act of mantling has been perfected in TDM. I have yet to experience any problems in climbing onto a ledge; if I want to climb up or jump across to a ledge, I can do it without issue, and it is oh so fucking satisfying.

In addition to leaving all of the fantastic interaction standards from Thief 1&2 intact, some things have been upgraded in a number of interesting ways. Lockpicking is the most intriguing for myself, where instead of waiting for the lock to stop on its own before unlocking a door/chest or switching to your other lockpick, you have to listen to a pattern of clicks followed by a short silence before a thud click is sounded and the pattern begins again. When you memorize the pattern, you can stop the picking right as the silence occurs to finish off a tumbler and unlock or continue to the next one. It's challenging and less nonsensical as the one featured in Thief 3, and it utilizes sound in a creative an functional way.

I had a technical issue on my machine that caused flame particles and water/reflective surfaces to display a weird cubemap of the environment in a way that obscured the actual flame particles or made things harder to see. A visual glitch but fortunately the only one I encountered, although having such a realtime shader effect enabled automatically without an option to disable it furrowed my brow a bit. I may head to their forums and let them know at some point, as it is the only technical blemish I have experienced so far.

Other things have been changed as well, but I won't go into them when you can play this thing yourself and figure out what they are (or enjoy them on their own if you haven't played any of the other games). I really hope this standalone release prompts people to look into the series if they haven't touched the "real" entries. Stealth-'em-up games are too good to die at the hands of the mainstream, and maybe this kind of thing will give those hooligans at Eidos Montreal some sense of what people look for in such a series as Thief.
ModDb Portfolio

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013, 09:27

I hope they copied the bunny hopping from the original Thief.