Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Blender's New User Interface

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Blender's New User Interface

Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013, 02:53

This topic concerns a set of discussion that have recently been taking place in the Blender community, and may be relevant to content creators in this community. If you want to skip the explanation below and get to the crux of this post, go here.

I've observed for a while that many dedicated content creators here in the community use 3DS Max when they do their modeling and extra-Ued content development. I've also noted that many of those people who have tried out Blender tend to communicate a concern for the software's usability (ividyon/Sana once remarked that Blender was built for crab people).

So in light of some recent major events within the Blender community, I thought I'd bring the topic to USP's awareness and get your feedback.

Around a month ago, Blender tutor Andrew Price began an analytical campaign concerning the user interface of Blender in regards to fundamental usability and the application of UI rules for modern software. This campaign consisted of two videos analyzing the interface's advantages and problems, posing a few ideas in the process for dealing with the issues. After each video, a survey was taken to assess as much of the feedback as possible that was generated by the many long-term Blender users and interested parties that had begun to debate the issue.

The videos:
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYiiD-p2q80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIedljapuz0[/spoiler]

Some interviews were conducted over the issue with another popular Blender tutor, Jonathan Williamson, and two other Blender developers, Campbell Barton and Thomas Dinges.

The interviews:
[spoiler]Jonathan Williamson interview
Campbell Barton and Thomas Dinges interview[/spoiler]

So in Andrew's third and final part of this campaign, a final proposal was compiled demonstrating a hypothetical "improved" Blender interface based on the principles lined out in the first two videos and on user feedback. This is where I assume most of your feedback will be directed, but I'd generally like to know what you all think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWacQrEcMHk
Last edited by Jet v4.3.5 on 18 Oct 2013, 02:22, edited 3 times in total.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: Blender's User Interface

Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013, 03:20

context sensitive right click menus and simple de-cluttered interface instead of clusterfuck of non-relevant info + flashcards for keyboard shortcuts
It is about time they did this. Despite being free (as in freedom and beer) I feel the current Blender has nearly as high of a barrier to entry as its competitors (either pay with your time by studying just to use Blender or pay a hefty sum for another tool).