UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Migrating off Google and the big boys

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Migrating off Google and the big boys

Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013, 13:59

Gizzy wrote:Also people should have to pass a stupid test before signing up for facebook.

This.
This this this.

Man, when I sometimes read what people post I am beginning to have doubts if they're actual people, or maybe The Missing Link has finally been discovered. Homo Facebookus. LOL.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013, 17:07

Gizzy wrote:Also people should have to pass a stupid test before signing up for facebook.

No they don't.
People should pass a test before they can befriend you. That 's how it works with me (which probably explains why I have only 7 friends on FB.

Getting rid of Google? pff, I'm not fond of Google as a company (nor am I fond of Microsoft, nor Apple) but my stance here is simple, use the stuff that suits you most. In my case free stuff suits me most so my dependency on the big companies is limited (because I don't have the time (read: too lazy) to get into Linux).

User avatar Carbon
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013, 10:25

One of my last posts on Facebook (before deleting my fake-name account 3 days ago) was that the Internet should require a test. Not just Facebook, though it is where Internet plankton seems to aggregate.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013, 13:15

I remember facebook being extremely hard to get off. Like there's no obvious "delete account" button. You can deactivate, but deleting is a massive issue. And then they give you two weeks to change your mind iirc. Bah!
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Carbon
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013, 22:33

Yeah man....easier to get a divorce than quit Facebook. Anyhow, log in, open a new tab and search for "delete Facebook account" and its a snap. Then walk away and voila!

Z-enzyme wrote:On a side:
Do you know that every newer Google Android featured phone tracks your position and sends it to Google?
You can even check where have you been last weekend.

Really, what? I wonder if Windows 8 does the same...
That is why I'm gonna stay with my Linux Based mobile and never buy a new one.

Heard the one about backdoor Wi-fi being covertly built into every new Intel chip? A year ago I would have thought that absolutely, pants-on-head nutters, and while I still don't actually believe it, since the NSA and related revelations, it isn't as far-flung as I would like to believe.

I don't want to go down the Alex Jones highway though. Walled up in some compound in Texas with a garden, 18 wives and semi-autos. Not yet anyhow. :)

ividyon: I have condensed your posts into one. Please avoid double posting!

Previous