Scout-kun is a lie... right?

First Psytrance Tune

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 917
Joined: 16 Nov 2007, 15:05

Subject: Re: First Psytrance Tune

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 18:33

Shivaxi wrote:I'm just saying that psytrance doesn't HAVE to be a repetive simple beat with nothing else


Apart from oversimplifying my description of the type of percussion sections used in most psytrance songs, that's a bit like saying Heavy Metal doesn't HAVE to use guitars. Maybe it doesn't have to indeed, but then what is the point of classifying and differentiating between genres to begin with? Each genre of music has a couple of defining elements that are shared by all the songs that are classified as being of that genre. In some cases music will contain elements of various different genres, in other cases they will be picture perfect example of a specific genre. Calling Mercurio is terrible example of 'Cybernetika's psytrance', because out of the 7 songs on an album full of 'Cybernetika's psytrance' it's the odd one out and therefore doesn't really support your point.

Anyway, I was just saying your second song (unlike the first, mind you), doesn't really sound like psytrance because it's missing some of the elements that define the Psytrance genre. Again, there is nothing wrong with that, it was merely an observation.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 806
Joined: 04 Mar 2012, 10:52
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Subject: Re: First Psytrance Tune

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 19:19

Dubstep is derived from the Genre Dub anyway, which is influenced by Reggae music :D
So that sort of beat has been around longer.
.......
SZ
.......
Image
Image

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1912
Joined: 24 Jun 2008, 19:51
Location: Behind You! =P
Contact:

Subject: Re: First Psytrance Tune

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 21:24

SteadZ wrote:Dubstep is derived from the Genre Dub anyway, which is influenced by Reggae music :D
So that sort of beat has been around longer.
.......
SZ
.......


Exactly

Frieza wrote:
Shivaxi wrote:I'm just saying that psytrance doesn't HAVE to be a repetive simple beat with nothing else


Apart from oversimplifying my description of the type of percussion sections used in most psytrance songs, that's a bit like saying Heavy Metal doesn't HAVE to use guitars. Maybe it doesn't have to indeed, but then what is the point of classifying and differentiating between genres to begin with? Each genre of music has a couple of defining elements that are shared by all the songs that are classified as being of that genre. In some cases music will contain elements of various different genres, in other cases they will be picture perfect example of a specific genre. Calling Mercurio is terrible example of 'Cybernetika's psytrance', because out of the 7 songs on an album full of 'Cybernetika's psytrance' it's the odd one out and therefore doesn't really support your point.

Anyway, I was just saying your second song (unlike the first, mind you), doesn't really sound like psytrance because it's missing some of the elements that define the Psytrance genre. Again, there is nothing wrong with that, it was merely an observation.


I didn't over simplify anything, I just didn't feel like typing out exactly what you said word for word. You know what I meant anyway. And yes, I'm well aware of what a genre actually is and how we classify music. The point I was making however, is that even if some of those genre elements are missing from a certain song, does not make it "not that genre", and Calling Mercurio is a perfect example. Calling Mercurio may not have the typical genre-driven beat of psytrance, but almost every single other instrument, sound, and sample, clearly belongs in the Psytrance genre. Therefore what other genre could you put Calling Mercurio in when MOST of its sound is Psytrance?

I mean, many songs can be mixes of genre's, all using different types of drum beats/patterns or have a bit of jazz or maybe some heavy metal guitar...or hell maybe all 3! =P But whatever is most prominent in the song defines its genre in the end, no? Hence I still believe my second track is correctly placed under Psytrance, while not having every single psytrance element, most of the song is.

This is pretty common in Drum & Bass too, as DnB takes elements from a thousand different genres, jazz, orchestral, rock, metal, even Opera and Classical. Yet, it's still defined as DnB, because that's the main element that stands out prominently

Example of a very Jazzy DnB track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRa5ymVrqk4
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7902
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject: Re: First Psytrance Tune

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 22:31

Genre talkin'

Unreal music is mainly orchestral
ImageImage

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1912
Joined: 24 Jun 2008, 19:51
Location: Behind You! =P
Contact:

Subject: Re: First Psytrance Tune

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 22:35

UBerserker wrote:Genre talkin'

Unreal music is mainly orchestral


and badass 8)
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 917
Joined: 16 Nov 2007, 15:05

Subject: Re: First Psytrance Tune

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 23:17

Hey man, whatever. Call it psytrance if it makes you happy. I should know better by now than to get into an argument with you about anything. I could go on making my point but I think I'll just leave it at this.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1912
Joined: 24 Jun 2008, 19:51
Location: Behind You! =P
Contact:

Subject: Re: First Psytrance Tune

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 23:35

lol? alright then =P

Speakin' of Psy-influenced music, did a Cybernetika mix today live on DnBRadio, featuring a couple new songs from him and some collabs he did with others, if anyone is interested:

http://dnbradio.com/podcast/livesets/view/24909

Tracklist:
01 - Cybernetika - Calling Mercurio (mashup w/ BSE - Winter War)
02 - Cybernetika - Neuronal Interface
03 - Cybernetika - Forged For Battle
04 - Cybernetika & Mellow Sonic - Thermal Overload
05 - Cybernetika - Close Your Eyes
06 - Mellow Sonic - Teleportation
07 - Vector Burn - Plummet
08 - Mellow Sonic - Velocity
09 - Cybernetika - Atropos
10 - Cybernetika - Hayashis Journey
11 - Cybernetika - Distant Singularity
12 - Mellow Sonic - Dimensional Encounters
13 - Exocet - Demon Seed (Bungle Remix)
14 - Cybernetika - Avenger
15 - Cybernetika - Black Hole Evolution
16 - Cybernetika - Starchild
17 - Cybernetika - Towards The End Of Time
18 - Rammstein - Du Hast (Cybernetika & Xenofish Remix)
19 - Cybernetika - Devoid Of Gravity
20 - Vortech - Humanity: Static (Cybernetika Remix)
21 - Cyanotic - Fashion Victim (Cybernetika Remix)
22 - Sybreed - Doomsday Party (Dragon Eyes Mix by Cybernetika)
23 - Cybernetika - Pharaoh's Kingdom
24 - Cybernetika - Human Error
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned
Posts: 1269
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 09:20

Subject: Re: First Psytrance Tune

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 23:40

I've just checkedd your tune. It's pretty good I guess. You should try tinkering with chill/ambient stuff.
:tup:
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1912
Joined: 24 Jun 2008, 19:51
Location: Behind You! =P
Contact:

Subject: Re: First Psytrance Tune

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014, 01:07

makemeunreal wrote:I've just checkedd your tune. It's pretty good I guess. You should try tinkering with chill/ambient stuff.
:tup:



Thankyou. And yes I have before actually...did an ambient tune for WhirlWindWabbit actually a while ago for a level he was making:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sn1hqhhwmro2u ... t%20v3.mp3 - removed it from soundcloud ages ago, so this is the only viable link =P

And this one just messing around:

http://soundcloud.com/shivaxi/arp-mello ... ntal-intro
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1966
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 07:21
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: First Psytrance Tune

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014, 10:47

I think I've asked this before, but do you have a portfolio site somewhere? (Soundcloud doesn't count :P) When I discover people who make music which sounds pleasant I like to download everything they've got and study the progression/history and the diversity in what they produce.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1912
Joined: 24 Jun 2008, 19:51
Location: Behind You! =P
Contact:

Subject: Re: First Psytrance Tune

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014, 17:18

TheIronKnuckle wrote:I think I've asked this before, but do you have a portfolio site somewhere? (Soundcloud doesn't count :P) When I discover people who make music which sounds pleasant I like to download everything they've got and study the progression/history and the diversity in what they produce.


I do not, sorry. Soundcloud is the best place right now to find most of my music. What I can do though is give you access to my private DropBox folder of dubs of mine, which include everything I've done since about 2007 if you're really that interested ;) I'll PM you about it.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests