ividyon will never get this done, will he.

GameSpy shutting down all hosting

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: GameSpy shutting down all hosting

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 08:04

GameSpy is shutting down all hosting services May 31. While it won't greatly impact newer games it does remain the only place for some of our (ue1 era) stuff. Get it while you can.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: GameSpy shutting down all hosting

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 12:44

So this pretty much means all Unreal games are going to die in MP? (UT3, mostly)
This news is quite a big deal, unless there's a plan B for U1&UT.
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 14:01

Well, f#$#.

Maybe EQ2's U2XMP master server code could be applied to other Unreal engine games.
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=202452

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 14:25

Luckily there IS a plan B for UT, called 333networks.
http://333networks.com/masterserver

R.I.P GameSpy, thank you.
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 15:58

AlCapowned wrote:Well, f#$#.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I haven't played any Unreal games online in over two years, but I'll still be sad to see it go. Hopefully that 333networks master server works out.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 16:09

I'm probably going to get canned for this post, but I seriously need to blow off some steam here:

Meanwhile, UT3 depends on Gamespy as a login manager. Not that I care for UT3 but what the hell....

Seriously what the ef'ing hell is with the company that bought out Gamespy. Are they too braindead to realize how much those servers meant to games that used them, how many people licensed it out? It's about as bad as how Windows Vista\7 threw out the old audio stack, breaking everything that used DSound3D and forcing people to use OpenAL wrapper's.
Oh and it's also about as bad as x64 versions of Windows throwing out the 16-bit subsystem when CLEARLY they could of written a minimal VM like system to supplement that functionality without breaking backwards compatibility. (And yes I know about "Windows XP" mode but you have to pay like, extra $$$ for Professional or Ultimate edition to use it, thanks Microsoft, it totally makes moral sense to sell out your OS at crippled states until someone throws enough money at you otherwise)

I hope these corporate retards die in a hole. I seriously hate seeing and hearing about this BS. There is ZERO reason to pull the plug on something that's continued to be used to this day, all it does is make people loose a ton of jobs, ruin already deployed services, and make you (the owning company) look like a bunch of fools.

I'd like to see what all the publishers\developers plan to do about this. I can see it now: "Due to these unforeseen circumstances, <game name here> will no longer function online.", yeah take the stupid way out and just tell everyone "Oh it's f'ed! Too bad!" instead of working a alternative.

In the case of Unreal 1 and UT99, there's third party master lists I thought? Didn't Hyper.NL host a master list? Or did that require Nepthyst as a client to be installed in order for those lists to work? I do remember that Nephtyst added some stuff to UCC to allow one to host a master server list but I don't remember if that required the end clients to also have Nepthyst installed in order to make use of it.

Oh wow I noticed Nathan Mates commented on that news post too, and I like the questions he was asking about the whole "What did GLU really gain from buying GameSpy"? Yeah I ask myself that question everytime I hear about a buyout, then months or years down the road, the bought out subsidiaries get layed off... I swear if I hear that it was due to "lost revenue" MAYBE THEY SHOULDN'T OF BOUGHT OUT THE COMPANY THEN HUH!?

EDIT: Okay what the hell is this BS, I look up the company, they're some retarded as hell "casual\freemium mobile game" company... WHAT BUSINESS DID THEY HAVE ACQUIRING GAMESPY JUST TO SHUT IT DOWN?! This must be IGN's fault since they were the parent of GameSpy of which IGN is a parent of Ziff Davis of which is a parent of "j2 Global"

Okay it's official, I hate capitalism. This system is broken.
“I am the dragon without a name...”

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 19:17

You hit the nail on the head Draco.
As soon as as these services are not owned by the people that created them, they are doomed.

As GEx points out, over at 333networks. Darkelarious has been working towards this day.
We saw the writing on the wall when the Epic server died, and realised it was getting close.
It is close to being finished and the documentation is also being finished.
(Also, this was posted at the begining of the year http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1227460p1.html)

It is built to collate info from any other known masters, or can be used along-side others if you prefer.
There have been a few bumps in the road and a few bugs, and this has been a hell of a learning experience for Dark, but he has done wonders. Even experimenting with making the whole thing faster and more efficient.
Different types of service have been available on different ports, so as not to disrupt the stable system, and I've been using it happily since last year.
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/333n ... m-f87.html
Work has also been done to try and support other Unreal games, inc. Thievery (I better go chat with the Deus Ex crowd).

All tech help and input is gratefully received, and all bug reports should always be submitted as fast as humanly possible.
Like it or not, this is what we have, so we all pull together and make it work. The future of our online gaming is at risk, so the common squabbles and screaming will not help.
This needs to be the robust framework we build on for the foreseeable future.
http://333networks.com -- http://www.source-clan.tk -- irc.synirc.net #333networks

Remember. No money is being made here. This is a private project done for the love of the game.

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 21:49

Regarding Glu, I'm a bit of a mobile gamer, and I have tried about 10 games of theirs, some on Android, some on Java. Those on Java system simply sucked, while the Android ones were all about in-app purchases. It's another one of those greedy companies barely anyone likes. So yeah, why the f*** did they bought GS only to shut it down, I have no idea :(
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 22:02

Further researching this whole purchase, apparently Glu bought GameSpy to merge it with their s***y mobile games... Reading some more about their responses apparently they're shutting it down because publishers neglected to pay licensing fees... Uh excuse me? They already paid it years ago. I'm pretty sure they're making up BS on the spot unless some former GameSpy employees come to light and explain just how the licensing was supposed to function legally before they were bought out by corporate moneygrubbing retards.

Yeah it looks like they did this to sabotage PC gaming in the name of their BS "causal mobile gaming".
“I am the dragon without a name...”

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014, 00:53

this explains it best. http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/2012/12 ... esponse-2/ the publishers stopped paying the fees for years, so, gamespy dropped it..

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014, 21:56

Draco Nihil wrote:Yeah it looks like they did this to sabotage PC gaming in the name of their BS "causal mobile gaming".

Not just PC, but Console gaming too, as quite a few of those used GS services too (particularly the Nintendo console games).
This sucks :shake:
Deep cover GEcko!

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014, 03:27

I don't know about you guys, but I seriously work for a start-up mobile games company. And don't worry, we have a huge focus on MIDCORE games. You know, like, the kind of games most of us probably play. We don't like paywalls (why stop the player from playing your game?) nor Cow Clickers (not ever even exciting to work on for anyone).

First-off, there's already records of various companies not bothering to even pay the hosting service from GameSpy. Epic just dropped the master servers for UE1 games at one point just like this. Second, any game with a significant following would have had a community large enough to create a diversion like 333networks. I have nothing to worry about when it comes to the Unreal community at least.

Even if Glu Mobile didn't purchase GameSpy, GameSpy could have gone under at some point. Who knows? If a multitude of game companies show off their desire to keep GameSpy's hosting service alive by flashing some cash, Glu Mobile won't turn away from profit. You can't expect 'The Man' to give stuff for free.

Lastly, I'd like to at least debunk the nature of mobile games eventually phasing out PC. Developers throughout GDC have already mentioned much of their games are being build for mobile AND PC (zing!). As for consoles, I will not comment on that matter.

No fire lasts forever. But you might just have enough gas to start a new one yourself.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014, 05:20

Man, anybody who thinks mobile games have a chance in hell of displacing PC and console gaming entirely is delusional; I think it's hilarious anytime someone says something like that.

I freakin' love my Galaxy S4, but it just has zero potential for some kinds of games that will always, ALWAYS work better with a large screen and dedicated hardware input peripherals that won't connect to a phone. I'd expect PC gaming to be totally supplanted by consoles far before mobile took over everything, and if that did happen, it would only be because you could easily connect your mobile to a bigger screen and a physical controller of some sort. This doesn't even begin to take into account the physics burdens of cramming enough processing power into such a small form factor while also increasing energy efficiency and decreasing battery consumption.

Anyway, how would this 333networks thing even work? I guess everyone who wants to connect to it would have to update their UT install to point to the new server IPs, right?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014, 13:02

You'd have to manually change settings either way.
ImageImage

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014, 00:15

Guess what - Upgrade to 227, and you'll be fine for Unreal, there are many master servers up that have got this situation covered, and they are already integrated into the 227 Patch.

SZ

Next