Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

SteadZ Remix (and original composition) Thread!

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: SteadZ Remix (and original composition) Thread!

Post Posted: 08 May 2014, 10:14

So yeah, starting this thread for any Unreal related remixes I do :P

A couple of days ago, I remixed the opening track of Nali Chronicles - "Menu" as my first real attempt in FL Studio.... so here it is:

You can download it if you so wish ;)

[EDIT: Loving the new Soundcloud feature for the forum :P]
SZ
Last edited by SteadZ on 27 Nov 2017, 14:31, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Sat42

Subject: Re: SteadZ Remix Thread!

Post Posted: 15 Jun 2014, 20:00

More, moooorrre!!!

Seriously, very nice start! :tup:
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 18:48

Latest remix - "Fight for Destiny" from ONP:

Enjoy!

SZ

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014, 17:11

Nice work! A little bit too heavy on the reverb for my tastes though, it makes the overall sound a little muddy. I can also hear the compressor kick in very heavily in a few spots like 0:40 and around 1:45 - 2:00 which also contributes to that woolly sound. Cutting down on reverb would free up more space for the instruments and make the compressor have to work less hard.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014, 19:05

Aha! that would explain that then - I thought it was just the bass being too "bassy" or something that muffled the rest of the instruments, but I agree that I can go a bit unnecessarily far with reverb sometimes :P

Thanks for the feedback anyway, I'll keep that in mind for other tracks :D

SZ

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014, 00:04

Best tip I can give concerning the reverb (if you use similar reverb for every instrument), is to not put a seperate reverb plugin/effect on every instrument track, but create an auxiliary track with just the reverb on it and then send some of the dry signal from the different instrument tracks to the aux track to be processed by the reverb plugin. That way you don't have 10 different reverb tails from 10 different reverb plugins on 10 different instruments all fighting for space in your mix, but just the one reverb plugin processing 10 different instruments to taste (want more reverb on a specific instrument? send more of the dry signal from that instrument track to the reverb aux).

Second tip is to put an EQ on the reverb aux that cuts off all the low end, say, everything below 500hz. Reverb is there to add air/space, adding reverb to low frequencies does nothing but add more mud to your mix.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 20:50

Well, I took on your advice about reverb and finally finished off a remix of "Valley of the Spires (Action section)" that I started a while back which I present to you now:

Hope you feel I did this well-loved track justice :P

SZ

User avatar Jblade
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014, 17:46

These are pretty great :) I hope you do a remix of ghostly from Nali Chronicles at some point as well (the track that plays on the boat trip) since I thought that track was the best one in the soundtrack.

User avatar SteadZ

Subject: Re: SteadZ Remix (and original composition) Thread!

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017, 21:05

Already shared this stuff across at OldUnreal's music section, but thought I would revive this old thread of mine too for those who don't visit OU :P

"Relentless Duduk"

Original composition with dark forboding tone.
No intended use for this other than portfolio and practice. Guess it might work well for a flyby or something though...

"Safehouse101"

Another original, also of dark tone. All the instruments were performed live in this to give a more natural feeling to it.
Originally didn't have a place, however I can happily say that it does now! Just can't say where...

"Skyward Fire (SteadZ Remix)"

My take on the original track by Michiel van den Bos. It doesn't stray too far from the original arrangement, but hopefully gives a refreshing sonic overhaul :)
(Yes, that is a reverse guitar "solo" in the middle :P)

Enjoy!

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017, 11:37

Yo SteadZ! I like "Relentless Duduk" in particular, it could fit in the game. You should do more like these. Could be great if you made a proper .umx file with such stuff :)
"Safehouse101" is pretty good too but I don't really know how that mood could be applied in a map.
"Skyward Fire (SteadZ Remix)" is OK but apart from the reverse guitar thing in the middle (which could be expanded upon or used in another track) I am not sure this could be used in SP (and it needs more variation for MP, punch or whatever but that's just IMO).
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar SteadZ

Subject: Re: SteadZ Remix (and original composition) Thread!

Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018, 21:52

Cheers for the comments Sat42!

I come again with 3 fresh new tracks which may or may not be worth your listening time!

I know most of you will have been asking yourselves for the past 5 years "has he actually done any work for that campaign of his or is it all just a massive sham" - so I bring at least 2 ambient pieces from Operation: Stealth Claw before you today!

"Grounded"

A peaceful tranquillity hangs over the terraced farm in the mountain range of Nagem T'oh - but something strange and dark lies in the misty moors below.

"The Ancients"

They built their lives around the abyss, the endless circling emptiness - but who are (or were) these people, who now are no more than myths?

"Sorrow (Remaster)"

A blast from the past with this one. The original was the first ever thing I posted to this soundcloud, and the last track I made with OpenMPT. This version has updated sounds whilst trying to retain the feeling of the original.
I actually realised whilst making this that "Relentless Duduk" is kind of an unintentional spiritual successor but heh, whatever. :P

Thanks for listening!

SZ