Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Unreal Archives

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Unreal Archives

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014, 18:08

Unrealarchives.com, was launched in February 2014 with the primary goal of keeping all user-built single player content for Unreal, RTNP and Unreal Tournament consistently accessible and downloadable to everyone. We hope that our existence will make a modest but valuable contribution to keeping the 15+ year old Unreal single player community alive for many more years.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/unrealarchives

http://unrealarchives.com/

Thanks for your efforts my friend! #Gubar
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: Unreal Archives

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014, 07:07

Found Chamberly's post about this on a facebook UT99 group. Definetly a good site, though I'm not sure about the name :/
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2014, 02:47

What would you have named it?

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014, 20:50

I just thought if the site would be named UnrealArchives, then it would be something like a wiki or FAQ of Unreal (info about all of those collected betas into one convenient place, for example), plus a few downloads here and there.

As for the name here.... crap, I'm not really good at naming things, so you got me there :P. TheKrallCave? I mean something similar like NaliCity was maybe?
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014, 23:38

Should I really submit all the dumb crap I've made over the years here?

Most of it is undocumented, stuff I barely remember making, and things I have to recompile under 224v or 225f just to make them usable again. A good 80% of it is unfinished stuff and 2% of it dependent on xcoop.
“I am the dragon without a name...”

User avatar gubar
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014, 02:30

Draco Nihil wrote:Should I really submit all the dumb crap I've made over the years here?

Most of it is undocumented, stuff I barely remember making, and things I have to recompile under 224v or 225f just to make them usable again. A good 80% of it is unfinished stuff and 2% of it dependent on xcoop.

Up to you, you are welcome to. If it is unfinished (to an extent that makes it unplayable) I would consider not to submit it but otherwise, especially if you released it to the public at the time, then why not? The point of the site is to create a near-complete collection and so far I haven't rejected any maps for quality reasons. There are some real bad ones up there. Chances are whatever is available somewhere else will eventually make it to the site anyway.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014, 02:49

This one coop server that was running several years ago called "Bio-Hazard's Co-Op", which ran MCoop2 and also ran some of my lesser mods. I also believe Mentalhunter and Shivaxi have some of my older works too.

Since loosing my old Dell computer to my father I don't think I have the remainder of my work anymore but I'm going to be going through my backup harddrive, finding whatever I can and I may as well send it to the archive as-is with as much documentation as I can provide.
“I am the dragon without a name...”

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014, 03:28

I've had my eye on Unreal Archives for several months now; I absolutely adore the site, its design and its function, and I've been secretly hoping to discuss a partnership with gubar at some point! :) It would be a great replacement for UnrealSPVault; once more of the site is in place, Unreal Archives could be linked to from various download sections etc., and Unreal Archives could in return link back to USP.

However, I hadn't really begun the talk because, well, my work isn't progressing. Still, it's nice to see a thread about it here!

Also, when I first found the site, I was alarmed by how I found absolutely no mention of its administration, or any links on any other websites. :P It took quite a bit to figure out who was behind it, and what it is, and why the map categories are so similar to USP's!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar gubar

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014, 06:23

ividyon wrote:Also, when I first found the site, I was alarmed by how I found absolutely no mention of its administration, or any links on any other websites. :P It took quite a bit to figure out who was behind it, and what it is, and why the map categories are so similar to USP's!

That is because I wasn't looking for attention just yet.:) I had no intention to publicise it before I was satisfied with everything. I got visitors regularly from google organic rankings because the site was built with some basic SEO principles in mind so it ranks quite well for specific campaign names, but that was all I got for a long time. Making an announcement in this forum (and some others) wasn't my doing and I did not ask for it, although it was probably time to do so.

I got a couple of positive feedbacks from various people and I appreciate it, it makes me want to work on it as much as my time allows. The design and functionality evolved in the course of a year and I put a lot of effort and passion into it. So it feels good to see people using it.

And yes I am very open to partnerships.

You are right about the map category structure - the idea was borrowed from UnrealSP because it is the one that is both the most logical and useful from the perspective of the payer looking for maps to play, at least in my opinion. So it seemed obvious that I have to use the same - along with some other sorting options such as ratings and release date. More sorting options may come (when I have time), some of which were suggested on the oldunreal forums.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014, 19:27

I think it's a solid site and I love the style. I'm also very appreciative of the promotion and storage of levels made my myself and others. Very easy to navigate. And you picked fantastic screenshots for everything, that is such a pet peeve of mine with a lot of sites. Bookmarked :tup:

EDIT: And now with the sound on, the translator ringtone made me smile :)

User avatar gubar

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014, 20:14

Mister_Prophet wrote:I think it's a solid site and I love the style. I'm also very appreciative of the promotion and storage of levels made my myself and others. Very easy to navigate. And you picked fantastic screenshots for everything, that is such a pet peeve of mine with a lot of sites. Bookmarked :tup:

EDIT: And now with the sound on, the translator ringtone made me smile :)

Thanks. And don't forget to poke the Krall either. Now that sound is on...