Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Fallout 4

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Fallout 4

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015, 15:08

It's a thing, finally.

The website went down fast (timer here http://fallout.bethsoft.com/) but here's how it looked.

It's set in Boston. In a hour or so the trailer should come out, rest of the news at E3.

ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Fallout 4

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015, 16:06

TRAILER UP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4

As one would expect, gamebryo is still used. And it's really a lot like FO3. Like, might as well call it FO3.

I DON'T CARE IF IT LOOKS A BIT SHIT GRAPHICALLY I JUST WANT THIS FUCKING GAME RIGHT THE FUCK NOW THERE ISN'T A RELEASE DATE JESSUS CHRIST GODDAMN FUCK I NEED IT
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015, 19:48

We knew it was coming, we were just waiting for it to be official. I'm pretty stoked. New Vegas is one of the best games I've played in the last ten years and the series has always been a cut above. Many expectations for this.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015, 22:45

Mister_Prophet wrote:New Vegas

No Obsidian so likely the story will be stock-tier like Fallout 3's one.
Won't be surprised if you'll be forced to join the Brotherhood against the Enclave, again, though I think they learnt something from Skyrim.
ImageImage

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015, 05:04

If they frame the story around a conflict and ask the player to choose a side I will be disappointed. In Skyrim it didn't really matter which the player chose as the story told wasn't really different between the two, just different character models voiced by the same 4 voice actors. As a result, choosing between the Imperials and the Stormcloaks was like choosing between Pepsi and Coke. It felt like the sandbox it was rather than the dynamic world they tried (unsuccessfully) to portray.

Bethesda's stories usually have very loose relationships with time as well. In the original Fallout 3, two hundred years after a nuclear war (a war so intense that the swampy DC area had been transformed into a dry and rocky wasteland), but somehow there were still intact buildings with 200+ year old food inside?

idk maybe I'm getting old

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015, 20:08

ebd wrote:If they frame the story around a conflict and ask the player to choose a side I will be disappointed. In Skyrim it didn't really matter which the player chose as the story told wasn't really different between the two, just different character models voiced by the same 4 voice actors. As a result, choosing between the Imperials and the Stormcloaks was like choosing between Pepsi and Coke. It felt like the sandbox it was rather than the dynamic world they tried (unsuccessfully) to portray.

Bethesda's stories usually have very loose relationships with time as well. In the original Fallout 3, two hundred years after a nuclear war (a war so intense that the swampy DC area had been transformed into a dry and rocky wasteland), but somehow there were still intact buildings with 200+ year old food inside?

idk maybe I'm getting old

You probably are :P
The thing is all these considerations don't really matter in fictions like these. Video game fictions in particular (because of the need to accomodate game mechanics and fun factor).
But at the end of the day, I don't think you're too old yet: the Star Shoal seems to have interesting physics at work :P "the ship is accelerating at a faster rate than before" implying it had been nonetheless accelerating for the past 366 days, and there's not much friction in interstellar space... not to mention that if you're literal about having to transport construction supplies halfway across the galaxy, then the Star Shoal completing the trip in 6 years is simply impossibly fast. But no one is really going to complain about that kind of stuff :P
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015, 21:52

UBerserker wrote:
Mister_Prophet wrote:New Vegas

No Obsidian.

And no Avellone now, he left Obsidian today. Oh well.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015, 01:31

awww, sad face.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015, 08:50

Bethesda also announced Dishonored 2 and that's cool.

Fallout 4 released on November 10th. VATS now slows down time and it got the exact same Mass Effect conversation system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7QK_yEgsV0
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015, 14:54

Also, it has really cool interaction with the Pip-Boy, and house-building from the ground up! Woo!

It looks very interesting. By the time it's out I should be financially stable enough to just buy it on a whim, too. Hooray!

Wish there was a native Linux version, but haha, as if.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015, 14:25

I like F3 and New Vegas.. in god mode =p combat is just clunky, unsatisfying hindrance.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015, 14:42

Between Fallout 4, Dishonored 2 and Doom 4 BETHESDA IS DOING A DAMN GOOD JOB
ImageImage

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015, 22:56

I'm always down for new Fallout, regardless. And new Doom is fast...that's all I wanted from Doom 3, so I'm happy.

I could care less about Dishonored, honestly. Tried twice to finish the first one and I always just lost interest. Dunno why, but I'd guess that I already had that experience with Bioshock and I didn't need to relive it. Game was fine, just...I didn't care.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015, 23:30

OK all this talk about Fallout is prompting me to ask:
is it still worth playing through the original Fallout games, in this day and age? Knowing full well that they play... well, they're cluncky, and in light of Fallout: New Vegas which brings back a lot of the original flavour storywise?

I guess my question is too vague without context:
- I can play old games (no shit ^^ here I am, a member of a community dedicated to a late-90s game :P ), in fact there are other classics I have decided I want to play before moving on to more modern stuff: Baldur's Gate is on my to-do list, IMO Tomb Raider II has good graphics, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is still the most technologically advanced game I've ever owned and played for real :P
- I don't have that much time for this hobby.
- I love story-driven stuff (although - unlike a good friend of mine who now essentially just goes after games with a good narrative and little in terms of actual gameplay - gameplay can still act as a considerable draw for me, I haven't got to the point where I consider gameplay distracting and just want a good story!)

Of course, I'm only gonna get opinions, no foolproof reasoning, but that doesn't mean opinions can't be useful :P
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015, 23:44

Fallout 1 and 2 are Clunky? I guess I've just become the old gamer is all and don't mind playing a game where I'm not button mashing so much as making a slow, deliberate decisions between single mouse clicks. Getting to places and talking to people may seem like a chore in the old game's graphics to people that have played 3 and onward, but that's because the game world and sense of discovery NOWADAYS has graduated from the Elder Scrolls Academy of You-Mean-I-Can-Touch-EVERYTHING?

Fallout 3 and New Vegas have a lot of bugs between them and are far less stable and on-the-fly accessible than the original games (I'd compare the first game to Oregon Trail in this regard. I occasionally make friends play it to see how long it takes them to find the water chip, or if they fail or quest themselves into a corner where they can't survive). I'd still say Fallout 2 and New Vegas (surviving members of 2 carried the torch into Vegas) are the cream of the series though.

A session of original Fallout can last an evening if you make the right choices, or poor ones.

Next