This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Fallout 4

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: Fallout 4

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015, 00:28

After the reveal and E3 stuff Fallout 4 seems like it should be good, although I'm mainly worried whether the narrative and quest design (and interaction with them) might feel like a big step back after New Vegas, especially with voiced characters likely limiting options further. At the least though I guess taking over the wasteland with that town builder thing should be fun.

Sat42 wrote:OK all this talk about Fallout is prompting me to ask:
is it still worth playing through the original Fallout games, in this day and age? Knowing full well that they play... well, they're cluncky, and in light of Fallout: New Vegas which brings back a lot of the original flavour storywise?

I guess my question is too vague without context:
- I can play old games (no shit ^^ here I am, a member of a community dedicated to a late-90s game :P ), in fact there are other classics I have decided I want to play before moving on to more modern stuff: Baldur's Gate is on my to-do list, IMO Tomb Raider II has good graphics, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is still the most technologically advanced game I've ever owned and played for real :P
- I don't have that much time for this hobby.
- I love story-driven stuff (although - unlike a good friend of mine who now essentially just goes after games with a good narrative and little in terms of actual gameplay - gameplay can still act as a considerable draw for me, I haven't got to the point where I consider gameplay distracting and just want a good story!)

Of course, I'm only gonna get opinions, no foolproof reasoning, but that doesn't mean opinions can't be useful :P

If you're already fine with old visuals and some dated mechanics (mainly the interface in Fallout's case) you're already past most of the hurdles. As far as time goes they're relatively slow paced, especially the turn-based combat (although you can speed up enemy movement at least) but Fallout 1 is pretty short by RPG standards. 2 is much bigger, though technically a lot of it is optional, and that's ignoring the fact that it's so open you can go and finish it in less than an hour if you know exactly where to go. The only thing is that as an old RPG it's possible to create a pretty worthless character if you don't build them right; choosing a focus and applying a little common sense is probably enough to make a competent enough character but you might want to check out a character build guide.

These GOG threads also have some fan mods to fix up certain things, though I recall the OP links were down the last time I tried, but maybe it's fixed. The children patch in particular is important because the removal was done really sloppily so without it you get stuff like being pickpocketed by disembodied voices:
http://www.gog.com/forum/fallout_series ... mods/page1
http://www.gog.com/forum/fallout_series ... mods/page1
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015, 01:26

I do prefer Fallout 1 over 2 for the atmosphere and villains.
Nothing felt better than descending in the Glow or randomly encountering a giant dinosaur footstep.

Though yeah Fallout 2 improves fucking tons on the gameplay side (specially when it comes to your party members, holy shit they suck ass in Fallout 1) and pretty sure you don't meet unfinished quests there (Fallout 1 has a Followers quest you can't complete because some NPCs are missing).
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015, 12:30

Thank you for the replies, Prophet, Semfry, and UB! :) I guess I know I'm gonna play Fallout 1 & 2 now (well, in the near future), before the Bethesda and Obsidian iterations!

And thank you for the links, Semfry! I think I did actually hear about this children issue years ago and I'm really glad you pointed out how to fix it up! (God, when I heard about their removal I was angry on principle!) And yeah, I think I will check a character build guide as well, so that I can make an enlightened decision with a full understanding of the mechanics.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015, 03:40

I'm just hoping that Bethesda uses the Creation engine (Skyrim) instead of Gamebryo (FO3/NV) or now that they own Id, Idtech5 or some hybrid of that and Creation. Rage had a strong Fallout feel to the art and I'd love to see FO4 running on something like that. Even more though I'm looking forward to the mods and both engines are very friendly.

is it still worth playing through the original Fallout games, in this day and age? Knowing full well that they play... well, they're cluncky, and in light of Fallout: New Vegas which brings back a lot of the original flavour storywise?

I only played FO1,2 earlier this year and enjoyed them. You just need to realize that while there are some game mechanic parallels (rpg sys, inventory, etc) they're different kinds of games than FO3/NV. I think the best expectation to have is they all share the same lore. That said I couldn't really get into Tactics.

-ed: OK, so it is an "improved" Creation engine

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015, 12:06

zYnthetic wrote:

I only played FO1,2 earlier this year and enjoyed them. You just need to realize that while there are some game mechanic parallels (rpg sys, inventory, etc) they're different kinds of games than FO3/NV. I think the best expectation to have is they all share the same lore. That said I couldn't really get into Tactics.

Yeah, I think the lore is the main draw for me. And it's in part for that reason that I don't think I'll ever get around to playing Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel: apparently the story is more in the background in this one, with gameplay the real draw, and I'm just not interested enough in dozens of hours battling basic AI with little story progression - it's not like I have all the time in the world. I'll just look at the story on the web for Tactics.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015, 13:20

Speaking about mods Bethesda said that they can be ported to the console versions. Should be the second game to do so after UT3.

Though of course, consoles have limitations when it comes to mods about graphic improvement.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015, 05:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LlIoUWgsMQ

So I'm playing it. I took some footage to show you guys. Not much because I've been busy, but I left the vault and did some quests in the wasteland. Footage is spoiler free, story wise, mainly just combat.

My impressions so far are good, I'm enjoying it. Some bullet points.

1. The game has several difficulties, the two most difficult are Very Hard and Survivor. I'm playing on Survivor. It retains a bit of the way healing worked in New Vega's Hardcore mode (basically no instant heals, all duration based). Enjoying it on this difficulty, though some of my preferred aspects of hardcore mode are not included in vanilla, things like ammo weight and perma death on companions. What is cool is that there is a random chance of Legendary enemies appearing among normal ones. They are way harder, creature varieties have a chance to "mutate" mid fight, and I've been getting rare loot from human/humanoid Legendary drops.

2. The intro is quicker. Less hand holding once players get control of their character within the Vault. I liked this quite a bit.

3. Enemey AI is a combination of same old stupidity and new clever tricks. At one spot I saw two raiders talking and I sniped one out, only to duck into cover while his buddy said aloud, "what was that!?" He patrolled for a bit, shrugged it off, and kept patrolling. Sound Familiar? Yet other things occured that surprised me. A mutated bear scared the crap out of me when I walked by his cave unawares. He chased me until I ran up a slab of complicated rock. Good, I thought. He'll never get up here. And true, he didn't. But what he did do was run away and hide behind a bridge strut, out of sight. I waited. And waited. Thinking he ran off and got stuck in an de-aggro. Nope. Second I climbed down the slab and investigated he came out of the wilderness and slayed me like that black guy in The Edge.

4. The Power Armor is acquired surprisingly early and is more like a vehicle than armor. You enter and exit, it needs a power source (Gotta scavenge Fusion Cores or it runs out of juice), can be updgraded, limbs modified or replaced, and painted. Bullets ding off of your but you can still be taken down. There's a bit of Power Armor action in the video above showing how this works. You've got to get the suit to a station to store it so you can work on it, usually in the same spot as a crafting area.

5. Crafting in general is quite involved and is a big part of the game, So much of what I've done pertains to this system. Say you find a random location, as you did in the previous games. In the past you'd loot the place and move on. But if I you clear the place and there is a workable bench to craft you can set the place up as an outpost, deconstructing things within the perimeter to build defenses, resources. In some cases you'll want to make these spots habitable for NPCs, so you will need working water sources, power generators, ect. Really quite a game within itself.

6. Moding equipment is more interesting this time. I've generally worn my Vault Suit, attaching armor guards and straps as I find (or make) them. Guns work this way too, really makes your character more unique looking.

7. The Dog is both cool and hella annoying when indoors. He has literally got me killed way too many times and done frustrating things like block me in a corner or run away from me while I'm over-encumbered and trying to give him my junk. I haven't had any other companions yet, however.

Yep. Welcome Home Indeed.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015, 16:57

Spoilers: "Creation Engine" is Gamebryo.

Also this game is overhyped to hell, and my biggest gripe is the UI and HUD. It seriously looks like pre-alpha material.

They also seemed to have repeated the same mistakes as last time in terms of bugs and stability. When will they ever learn?
“I am the dragon without a name...”

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015, 16:58

Hahaha it's 64-bit OS only.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015, 04:49

Haven't been this tempted by a game in a long time! The 60€ price tag is the last barrier keeping me from it.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar ElectricIce

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015, 08:11

It's absolutely phenomenal, I LOVE the game so far.

Previous