UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

A Summons to Gears of War for PC SP map making

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Thaur
Pupae Pupae

Subject: A Summons to Gears of War for PC SP map making

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 06:07

I want to invite any of you who have not yet tried it to mapping for Gears of War for PC single player. I want to let you guys know you should give it a try if your computer can handle it. I have been a fan of Unreal since it came out and have followed the single player scene a long time, making a few of my own maps. However the gameplay got a bit stale. Fortunately I love the gameplay of GoW. We are a small community like yours but there is great potential if we get some more manpower.

It would be great if we could get some of your talent to join us and put out some quality projects. It would be cool if someone made some unreal themed maps too. If any of you care about getting a related job I'm sure experience with the latest version of Unreal Ed will look much more impressive in your portfolio or resume.

Nothing will ever replace Unreal but you will find you have the tools necessary to make something with a similar but advanced feel. Our forum is here: http://utforums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=331 These screens are from my latest project. There is no winter setting in the game so I created these terrain textures. I have already released three SP maps for GoW.

Video run through of my map Nergal: http://dodownload.filefront.com/9788363 ... 01373b95ec

Video run through of my map Namtar: http://dodownload.filefront.com/9794266 ... 01373b95ec

My website with screenshots of all my maps: http://myrm.deviantart.com
Please give me feedback on any of my maps or videos! Thanks.

User avatar Derdak2rot
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 13:01

interesting , i like GOW more that UT3 to be honest :wink:
i already started some little things with this editor , but looks like im not used yet to static meshes use :P
but i like custom stuff shown by these people , some of those maps are really nice .. i wish i had enough time to learn better the new engine :(

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 13:03

Awesome architecture :tup:
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 15:10

Looks really nice! :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

nix
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 16:38

looks very cool! :B :tup:

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 17:10

Isn't this OT? :?
StalwartUK

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 17:20

StalwartUK wrote:Isn't this OT? :?

And? Are you the moderator? No? So what do you care? :?

Finally some UE 3.0 screenshots on this forum, pity its Gears not Unreal... Well, we will have to wait for Unreal 4 i think unless Stalwart here comes up with at least a screenoshot of his map for his UT3 Unreal themed mod :|

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 18:15

Did GoWEd ever gain the ability to import your own assets instead of drag+drop premade smeshes? I haven't kept up w/ patches.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 18:49

StalwartUK wrote:Isn't this OT? :?

THis is a project.. made with an Unreal Engine (afaik), which is called GoW, but still uses UEngine... Maybe Scrag can shine a light on this if I'm wrong..

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 18:51

Yep, it's Unreal Engine 3. Looking forward to the project.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 18:57

hey.. just looked at the deviantart page.. and you are the one from SkyFalls, Forget & Great Hall! :D :tup:

Glad to see you back.. we've been looking for Forget & Great Hall, since we only knew SkyFalls.. and (blablabla)... no more mapping for U/UT?

Thaur
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 19:17

Well sorry if it is off topic but I thought people might be interested. I know there is some great talent around here and it is a pity that UT3 has most of the modding attention. I thought it would be appropriate because this is a single player site and GoW is a great single player game, unlike UT3.

As for the architecture from these screenshots they are all static meshes created by Epic not me. At first I hated the idea of constructing with static meshes instead of BSP because it seems a lot less creative and original. However I have grown to love it at least at the moment. I can get a nice sized map finished in several weeks as opposed to the months it would take me using BSP in unreal. I was also only a mediocre crafter of BSP so I wasn't too upset.

Ah thanks for the recognition Darkon! I hope someone was able to enjoy those maps a little at least. No I don't plan to create any unreal or UT maps. While there is a great distinct visual style with classic unreal map making and I love a lot of the BSP design work, I want to try to stay up to date with the technology. One because I want to work professionally as a level designer and two because there are so many new things I can do with the latest unreal ed. I could compare it to an artist using more colors on his palette. It would be hard to get him to go back to using only primary colors if he now has the choice to do so many more things.

As for using your own meshes It must be possible because Hourences' map was full of custom static meshes as far as I know. I have personally modified some of Epic's static meshes to my needs but I had to use a roundabout route to do it. To be sure though GoW is much more restrictive to modding than UT3 because of Microsoft's paranoia.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 20:53

The pics look nice. Stalwart is right about this being Off Topic, though, as the storyline of this project is not tied into that of Unreal (projects made for games other than U/UT have to relate to the story to qualify for coverage on this site).
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 20:57

So, in other words, even if a Spatial Fear appeared it would have been off-topic, right?
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008, 22:45

Hellscrag wrote:(projects made for games other than U/UT have to relate to the story to qualify for coverage on this site).

Life is what you make of it.

Next