Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Computer problems AGAIN...

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Computer problems AGAIN...

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016, 08:05

So, I'm having video card issues and I think my video card is taking a crap. Recently I bought a GTX 970 from MSI and it looks like I need a 6 and 8 pin connector. My PSU only has a 6 pin connector but it doesn't fit the power ports on the 970 since it looks like it's bulit for my GTX 660.

The insides of my computer: http://i.imgur.com/oYmlll7.jpg

Thinking about getting a 6 and 8 pin PSU and be done with it... -_- What do you guys think?
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: Computer problems AGAIN...

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016, 12:54

Was MSI a typo because the card says it by EVGA? I have an MSI GTX 970 and it doesn't look like that.

It's hard to see how the card plugs look in the image, but yes, if your card has multiple power plugs then you need them all plugged in. So you either need a cable that converts another cable to that type (if that even exists) or a new PSU with the right plugs (if your current one isn't modular anyway, which I'm guessing is the case).
Formerly Mman

User avatar Jigoku

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016, 00:26

Well, it's my current video card that's inside my computer. My MSI 970 is just laying on my entertainment center collecting dust and whatnot until I can use it. I'm unsure what modular is but I'm guessing I need one...

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016, 00:46

I'm assuming yours is identical to mine then, in which case you definitely need all the power plugs for it to work.

Modular power supplies lets you swap the wires in and out (there's also semi-modular ones that only let you change select wires). It's not really needed since any good modern supply should have the plugs you need anyway, but modular is better for later expansion and lets your case wiring be cleaner (because you can just remove wires you don't need).
Formerly Mman

User avatar Jigoku

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016, 02:18

I'm gonna need a modular PSU now... I love NVIDIA but the way they make their video cards... just ugh.