A random sentence for a random mind.

I look around myself

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: I look around myself

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016, 15:12

I visit the forum at least once a week. Unreal is a very special game that deserves active forum till the end of the world. It's a legacy and testament to the PC MASTER RACE, no offense to consoles I like them too. Visuals, music, atmosphere were out of this world in 1998, it was the biggest mindblow I ever experienced, and that was on a 17 inch CRT screen and initially with software processing or however it was called. I will never forget it and always check this forum, however I have very little life LOL

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016, 21:39

Please tell me you didn't just use "PC MASTER RACE" unironically

Because if you did, lmfao

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016, 07:47

Buff Skeleton wrote:Please tell me you didn't just use "PC MASTER RACE" unironically

Because if you did, lmfao

Honestly I don't get what you are saying. All I meant to say was what we all know well - that for mid 1998, Unreal was unreal.

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016, 04:47

What he meant is if you used "PC MASTER RACE" seriously or not.

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016, 22:09

I don't think I have ever seen it used seriously, it always reminds me of this pic:

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016, 02:54

Thanks to losing my CDs and forgetting about them for a while, I've had the misfortune of arriving to the Unreal scene long after everything is basically over, so I can't really comment much on the community.

Still, I also can't comprehend how something like this can just up and vanish. Almost nobody remembers Unreal 1 anymore, and if you do, people just assume you're some kinda pretentious hipster trying to sound smart.

Similarly old games are still more renowned with bigger fanbases to this day; Unreal brought a lot to the table which people seem to take for granted. Sadly, even Epic didn't really capitalize on it very much, I was really disappointed with Unreal 2, and UT2004 and 2007 got even further away from what made U1 (& UT) great. UT4 looks to be more of that same abandonment of the roots of the series.

I did have a lot of fun with UT 2004, though, but I still wish it had more U1 elements. For example, the 'animated texture' technology used in U1.. I was really let down by UT2004's particle system. It was a hellacious mess to deal with, U1 fire textures >>> UT2004 particles, despite being 2D. Same goes for the water textures vs. UT2004's fluid surfaces. The fluid surfaces couldn't even be lit by the surrounding light sources, which was another major let-down! They also behaved strangely when pawns would go into them. Why couldn't Epic have just improved on their previous system?

Could you imagine if the water/fire textures were able to render real-time animated effects 3-dimensionally?? With sliders, and fully incorporate-able into texture combiners.. That was one thing UT2004 did well, those texture modifiers. I experimented with the capabilities of both using the U1-to-UT2004 mod, but at some point engine limitations got in the way.

Not even getting into the whole level design/atmosphere part of Unreal. I would need books. The fact that this game would be forgotten so quickly is an insult to art in general, kind of puts you off from making anything like it, because there's a huge chance the same will happen to it no matter how good it is (maybe that's why most don't try anymore.)

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016, 21:13

The game will never be forgotten, It's a lovely piece of art embedded within our hearts.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016, 09:31

Just noticed this thread. I still take a peak at UnrealSP.org from time to time, because of course some of my old pals are still here (this place still feels like my first life before I got a family and all).

Anyway, I somehow managed to find spare time this last winter, and started a new project that I kind of wanted to keep a surprise (yes, I broke my "promise" to never work on a game project again). I'm not sure how many people will be interested in this particular project, but I'll post about it here when the time is right. If you search the OldUnreal forums hard enough, you will discover the project I'm working on. I started my project thread over at OldUnreal, because I was kind of seeking DieHard's opinion (creator of the new S3TC textures). I did not receive his opinion unfortunately, because he is not doing well health-wise. In case anyone thinks I have abandoned UnrealSP, I certainly have not. I just haven't brought my project here yet, because I wanted it to be a nice surprise to the community I care the most about.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016, 11:28

Yesterday I decided to get retweeted by the official UnrealEngine account with some of the most recent and best Unreal 1 SP pics (credits included). Feels nice.
ImageImage

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 27 May 2016, 06:10

Long story short, I stopped visiting here because I found a girlfriend and she takes up most of my time XD However I still love Unreal and this site and hope to get back into it. I'm just catching up with 2 years worth of threads now. Good to see that everyone is still here (for the most part)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 31 May 2016, 11:17

integration wrote:(e.g. everytime I see this gif, I must think of the very talented artist formerly known as qTit)

I got mentioned too... \o/
I know what you feel guys. For some reason, for some time, I have this urge to just go back to Unreal and finish what I've started. And, I miss you guys a lot.

Unreal gave more than I could ever imagine, you know? It gave me knowledge. Right now I'm working in the game industry, indie, but still. Working with Unreal Engine 4 I make PC games and console games. No more being a teacher. This change in my life came quite late. That's not more than a year ago. And, I gotta say, things Unreal thought me about scripting, AI, gameplay, mapping, lighting, atmosphere, music, sounds, damn, game design as it is enabled me to become a full time game designer.

My life changed drastically, like a 360 degrees turn in a 5 dimensional world with blueberries floating everywhere.

And then... UnrealSP. The community. The people who helped me make my dreams come true, the people I admired, hell, still do, kaka, sana, Raven, Mister_Prophet, dots (.:.:: I think), Waffnuffly... You UB. The people that made me do stuff. I just wanted to exist somewhere, to leave something that others would use.

No idea if I succeeded - never seen QComputers used anywhere. Maybe because of the missing online support. can't tell.

But still, you guys gave me a lot, a lot more than I could ever expect. My English is worse than it was I guess, I don't use it almost at all now... Pity.

Anyways, I'll keep ghosting here from time to time just to remember. Not Unreal - cause that's something I'll never forget - to remember the people.

Meh.

Edith:
DAMN this avatar. Didn't remember I've set it. Yep, that's my ugly face.

Previous