Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

7000th post

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, zYnthetic, ividyon

User avatar UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7658
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00
Contact:

Subject: 7000th post

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016, 23:17

Hey do you remember The Pure, that weird Unreal custom map that had no readme, literally no fights whatsoever and the terrain taken from Velora Pass? legacy/community/reviews/pure.html

So now with todays that I've grown up a lot more and myself seeing too much into things, I just noticed something strange. Right after the whole magic rainbow pony castle section you reach the end which is a bunch of medieval monolithic stones with big blood stains.

What does this mean.

I mean this map's level text is something like "welcome to my world" so I guess it's sorta related to an imaginary place or dream of the mapper. And this level abruptly ends with a gross blood stain after the dream castle.
Makes me feel the author hated reality or he sent some strange suicide message to all of us.
Image

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 755
Joined: 14 Jul 2013, 16:42
Contact:

Subject: Re: 7000th post

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016, 00:11

UBerserker wrote:Hey do you remember The Pure, that weird Unreal custom map that had no readme, literally no fights whatsoever and the terrain taken from Velora Pass? legacy/community/reviews/pure.html

So now with todays that I've grown up a lot more and myself seeing too much into things, I just noticed something strange. Right after the whole magic rainbow pony castle section you reach the end which is a bunch of medieval monolithic stones with big blood stains.

What does this mean.

I mean this map's level text is something like "welcome to my world" so I guess it's sorta related to an imaginary place or dream of the mapper. And this level abruptly ends with a gross blood stain after the dream castle.
Makes me feel the author hated reality or he sent some strange suicide message to all of us.


LOL, UB, congrats on the 7000th post! :D

Funny thing about this old map - I read your review of The Pure a long time ago (and read it again just now), it so happens you can still get into a fight if you really look for it ;)
Never bothered to download it, however besides the LOLZ factor here I think we can agree that a map often captures a certain... little psychological something from the author. The extent varies and is debatable and all, but I think it's always there - reminds me of a thread where some mapper said that he couldn't even set his eyes on some of his old maps anymore because the frustration that he communicated in them was unbearable...
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 52
Joined: 28 Jul 2015, 23:53

Subject: Re: 7000th post

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016, 00:22

UBerserker wrote:Hey do you remember The Pure, that weird Unreal custom map that had no readme, literally no fights whatsoever and the terrain taken from Velora Pass? legacy/community/reviews/pure.html

So now with todays that I've grown up a lot more and myself seeing too much into things, I just noticed something strange. Right after the whole magic rainbow pony castle section you reach the end which is a bunch of medieval monolithic stones with big blood stains.

What does this mean.

I mean this map's level text is something like "welcome to my world" so I guess it's sorta related to an imaginary place or dream of the mapper. And this level abruptly ends with a gross blood stain after the dream castle.
Makes me feel the author hated reality or he sent some strange suicide message to all of us.

I literally just seen the map screenshots right now, and yeah, those blood stains are giving me some bad vibes. Your assumption's probably not too far from reality there.

Sat42 wrote:
LOL, UB, congrats on the 7000th post! :D

Funny thing about this old map - I read your review of The Pure a long time ago (and read it again just now), it so happens you can still get into a fight if you really look for it ;)
Never bothered to download it, however besides the LOLZ factor here I think we can agree that a map often captures a certain... little psychological something from the author. The extent varies and is debatable and all, but I think it's always there - reminds me of a thread where some mapper said that he couldn't even set his eyes on some of his old maps anymore because the frustration that he communicated in them was unbearable...

I know the feeling, I had made several (mostly terrible) maps for UT2004 and one of them was dedicated to trolls hampering on my work. Long story short, you couldn't pay me to play that crap nowadays, the parts that reference said trolls were not only the worst appearance and gameplay-wise, they just felt ew. Kind of a similar feeling to the stains on the map mentioned in this thread, actually.

User avatar Kajgue
N-Team Leader N-Team Leader
Posts: 247
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 18:07
Contact:

Subject: Re: 7000th post

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016, 00:33

It could be far fetched-ish to say he went this far to put as much detail as what I'm about to propose hypothetically, but maybe the rainbow (joy orientated stuff / w.e) theme followed by the morbid theme is him trying to put the message across 'My life was good, until everything fell apart diabolically'; but who knows.

Either that or the author was putting that message across deliberately to fwark with the heads of those who bothered to analyse those details. :P
N-Team leader
The Silver Blades clan chief
Image

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 52
Joined: 28 Jul 2015, 23:53

Subject: Re: 7000th post

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016, 00:40

Kajgue wrote:Either that or the author was putting that message across deliberately to fwark with the heads of those who bothered to analyse those details. :P

That is possible too, there's quite a few people on YouTube who make happy/morbid videos like that for the lulz.

User avatar UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7658
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00
Contact:

Subject: Re: 7000th post

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016, 13:44

YappieChappie wrote:
Kajgue wrote:Either that or the author was putting that message across deliberately to fwark with the heads of those who bothered to analyse those details. :P

That is possible too, there's quite a few people on YouTube who make happy/morbid videos like that for the lulz.


YouTube still kinda happened years later. Though trolling has always been a thing.
Image

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member
Posts: 2002
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 02:43
Location: UK
Contact:

Subject: Re: 7000th post

Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016, 00:06

Being a look into one person's vision is one of the big appeals of mods to me, especially as (non-indie) games in general have gone away from that with increasingly huge team sizes.

Like, one of the first mods I played was a Half-Life 1 mod with a big detailed backstory in the readme that adds a bunch to the world of the actual game, and then the mod itself is about twenty minutes long and ends with you put in a cell and gunned down by a Grunt (without even a fade out or anything); without better technical knowledge I thought there HAD to be something I was missing and some further maps or alternative ending I missed, but nope, that's it. Maybe it was supposed to be the setup for sequels or something but as far as I know the author didn't make anything past that. The mod scene in general is full of weird shit like that, and even if the result isn't always "good" (it probably mostly isn't) it makes them interesting in a way bigger stuff isn't allowed to be, and maybe shouldn't.
Formerly Mman


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests