Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

mister_prophet plays Doom (the new one)

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: mister_prophet plays Doom (the new one)

Post Posted: 21 May 2016, 21:26

Doom an Doom2 were my first action games on PC and made a lasting impression, in fact for me they set the standard for comparison. There were a couple of later games with ± the same engine (Hexen and another one by ID, can't recall the name right now) which didn't disappoint, and then there were the "real" 3D games (e.g.Quake) which did bring something new but failed to tickle me in the proper way (in all honesty - the Alien Quake which later had to be removed due to copyright infringment did impress me).
And then came Unreal whcih set new standards for me.

I saw the movie Doom and wasn't impressed at all - it just didn't feel like the real Doom. The gravepine told me a new installment of Doom and I was really curious (but somehow I forgot all about it).

Now Mr. Proph (whose playthrough topics are a must read - not solely because of the videos) plays Doom: the 2016 Doom that is.
And I've watched his video and looked up some other videos ... and ....
I'ld rather replay Doom1 and Doom2 than waste my time on something which doesn't even remind me of Doom. And (sorry if I sound blind) I don't see anything special about this: flashes and more flashes followed by flashes, much too similar enemies, err environments, weapons which look the same, aarrgghh - it kills my memories of Doom.

Sorry guys, but the Hourences game (forgot the name) is in another league.

User avatar Kajgue
N-Team Leader N-Team Leader

Post Posted: 21 May 2016, 21:27

I haven't played or watched the videos here of proph playing the new Doom, and I don't know if it is; but it better be as hard as shit fuck - a continuation of Doom 3, I have been anticipating the continuation of that for a long time.

I'll play it when my laptop is finally repaired, having to use a friends machine for sparring intervals at the current time.
N-Team leader
The Silver Blades clan chief

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 May 2016, 21:32

salsaSkaarj wrote:And (sorry if I sound blind) I don't see anything special about this: flashes and more flashes followed by flashes, much too similar enemies, err environments, weapons which look the same, aarrgghh - it kills my memories of Doom.

What are you expecting from an AAA-marketed shooter game?

I'm afraid of Dishonored 2 now.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 May 2016, 23:51

UBerserker wrote:What are you expecting from an AAA-marketed shooter game?

Something original perhaps?

User avatar Carbon
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 22 May 2016, 03:18

They called it Doom for a reason. Not Doom 4 or Doom: The Something...just Doom.

I think people's memories of Doom are what's killing this new Doom....and most other new games. It's not easy to innovate anymore - what hasn't been done by now? - and even harder to satisfy people who were around when everything really was new. Those days are largely gone folks, whatever that may mean; lower your bar or just stop buying new games.

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 22 May 2016, 08:04

Seems like a whole lot of people who haven't played the game, or have only played the terrible multiplayer beta, have decided to write the game off.

I guess is it is fair to say the game is not the original Doom, but why would it be? The original Doom already exists.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 22 May 2016, 12:57

salsaSkaarj wrote:flashes and more flashes followed by flashes

Assuming you're talking about the glory kill signifiers (since that's the only flashing I can think of during gameplay), you can turn those off, and the animations are clear enough that it doesn't make much difference.
Formerly Mman

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 22 May 2016, 15:37

Damn, wrote a long reply, thought I posted it, but it seems I didn't (and no draft saved).

In short: I've been absent for a long time and this is the first topic I posted in and regret doing so. (I probably should have re-entered the scene with a more constructive post).

My point was (is) that the new Doom game doesn't tickle my hot spot at all. Are my standards way too high? Do I now belong to the obsolete generation? Frankly I couldn't care less, from what I've seen in de videos, nothing enticed me to play the game (contrary to the Solus Project)

Concerning originality: well ?? consider RLCoop: Unreal as it is but with a twist which changes gameplay quite drastically (and not for the worse) - perhaps not a Nobel prize for originality but certainly a striking change. Now that really entices me to have a go at it (either solo or in group, and the videos didn't disappoint at all.

I'm certain Mr.Prophet didn't take my post as criticism of him (or of his playing) (seriously I love reading his playthrough posts and watching his videos, and comments). Fact is, I am disillusioned by what I saw in the game and that's it. IN a sense it's a good thing: I won't waste money on it (but I might buy the Solus Project)

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 23 May 2016, 01:42

Yeah, I was pretty whatevs for the game myself watching videos. I mean it did look very heavy metal Evil Dead, but I really didn't "get it" till I tried the game. I think there is fair criticism in judging games by watching others play the same way one can decide if they care to see a movie by a trailer. But I also think that there are always exceptions and honestly no amount of let's plays can capture the moment when it's you in control. For me this was one case I was glad I played it. It just feels good, and I'm not coming at the game as a Doom sequel. Just a fun shooter.

Also, yes you can turn off the glowy hues on enemies that indicates that they are stunned. I've also been through some of the Hell levels since last I spoke in the thread, as well as found some more guns and killed a few more demons. Gotta say, the Revenants were my bane in Doom 2 so I get kinda Bush Foreign Policy on them the moment I even think they are near me. I don't think I've let one live long enough to see them attack, :o

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 May 2016, 05:22

I admit I haven't played the game and this is the first actual footage I've seen of it (a one year old running around tends to cut into game time). But I gotta say from what I saw in the video, after the impressiveness of the graphics wears off, which it seems to do quickly, all I really saw was a repetitive orange arena with nothing but constant fighting. Don't get me wrong, I like blowing stuff up as much as the next guy, but there is something to be said for pacing.

I do like the way the monsters have different movements, and from what I could tell the AI was decent but not spectacular. But it more or less looks like a deathmatch with 20 players in an environment meant for 10. From this impression, it almost reminds me of one of those standup arcade shooter games where the monsters randomly appear. They have their place and are fun for a while but just not my cup of tea. I'd rather have varying environments and some good exploration, with some sparse frantic combat mixed in.

But....maybe my impression would change if I actually played the game, but not likely.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 31 May 2016, 10:36

I played it and must say, that this is a first-person-shooter in the age of meh-realistic-person-shooters. Battlefield, COD, and such. It doesn't try to feel real, and it makes a good job not trying. It's fast, that's what I like, and it does remind me of the first Doom games, where main thing was killing monsters then finding secrets. Plus this character evolve system, can't call it RP cause it's not.

I enjoy the game a lot.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 16 May 2017, 00:13

Late to the party as usual but I just got D44M over the weekend and have been playing it almost non-stop. It's such a fucking blast compared to any other modern game I've played. I absolutely love it, and the only thing I find myself wanting more of is raw, balls-out carnage. Each combat sequence seems to end just a bit too soon for me, but then again I'm used to EXU with its infinite surges of enemies in coop and the like.

I fucking love the Combat Shotgun with the GL alt fire. That thing is my go-to weapon, even over the super shotgun, since it doesn't always instagib enemies (and thus you can do those fun as hell takedowns on them).

And this game has some of the most stunning visual moments I've seen since Half Life 2. The Hell atmosphere is awesome, and even the generic overbuilt tech environments look pretty good. I also loved the way the game begins: zero story development, just punching a couple of mutant zombie things in the fucking face.

It feels like they took every single good aspect of all the previous Doom games, and made a new game 100% focused on maxing out every one of them. It also has some of the smoothest movement I've ever seen in a FPS thanks to the automatic mantling system (for the most part) and really, really good level design.

It probably won't have the same replay value that Brigador is having for me, but it is absurdly satisfying in a very visceral way to run around killing shit. The game encourages you to kill things as violently and comically as possible, and makes it super easy to boot. Good shit.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 16 May 2017, 04:14

I messed around with some snap maps several months back. One I was working on was an attempt to turn a four player COOP game into a Gears style session of Horde. I should probably finish that :)

Glad you liked this one Waff. One of maybe three or four games from 2016 that I absolutely enjoyed and continue to enjoy.

Post Posted: 17 May 2017, 16:37

Finished it last night! Fun stuff. Now to do it on Nightmare or Nightmare+ or something.

My only real complaint so far is that the game is too easy on Ultra-Violence, and that it needs like 3x as many enemies, and enemies present at all times, not just after scripted events (i.e. gutting Gore Nests). And some of the later maps can be kinda mean about preventing you from backtracking if you missed secrets (or half the map).

I wasn't a big fan of the Cyberdemon, either, but the Spider Mastermind was great. I was hoping to see an Icon of Sin boss fight, but I appreciated the secret they threw in!

It was also hilarious to see just how broken you can become late-game with the right mix of runes. I had Rich Get Richer enabled and a maxed out gauss cannon in siege mode, which meant I could cheese the last few battles by sitting somewhere and just instagib basically everything with infinite ammo. Even funnier is the maxed out turret mode minigun with infinite ammo!

Eager to see how snapmaps turn out, though. If it winds up being easy for the community to create their own maps and bring out the huge numbers of enemies, then this game is solid gold.

Post Posted: 22 May 2017, 21:22

lmfao, Proph have you played Arcade Mode yet? This is stupid-fun. It's like they distilled the game even further down to just pure action.

I also checked out some SnapMaps last night, and even the featured ones were REALLY BAD. Are there any which are just, you know, like standard Doom 4 gameplay (where glory kills drop items and such, weapons have mods, etc) and not these bastardized half-old Doom half-new Doom shitheaps? Because I found a LOT of those.

Also, is it streaming maps to you unless you download them? I noticed some choppiness that looked like I was playing online when I was just doing SP maps.

Previous Next