Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Every ID game ever made [edit] IS BACK on sale: 35$

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008, 21:17

Mman wrote:Here's Q1 music: http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/3488
Here's the expansion tracks: http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/767
http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/768

I haven't tried it yet, but you supposedly just burn it to a CD and put a blank song as the first track.

Thanks!

I'm sure just sticking it in a Winamp playlist would work fine, unless the music is supposed to switch based on in-game cues.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008, 23:40

Waffnuffly wrote:
Mman wrote:Here's Q1 music: http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/3488
Here's the expansion tracks: http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/767
http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/768

I haven't tried it yet, but you supposedly just burn it to a CD and put a blank song as the first track.

Thanks!

I'm sure just sticking it in a Winamp playlist would work fine, unless the music is supposed to switch based on in-game cues.

Each map has a particular track. I can tell you which tracks if you like.

As to Quake II, it is programmed to change tracks to a tension track if you stay in a map for long enough and also to stop the music if you complete your objectives. Might be better to burn it to CD.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 00:02

Damn, beaten at posting the same links D:
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 00:04

Waff - some stuff to look out for:

- Keep an eye on your Rune counter. There's a bug that means Quake sometimes forgets what Runes you're carrying when you restart a map. Reload your game if this happens. Alternatively there are console commands available to get them back.

- Shamblers only take half damage from explosions!

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 00:07

Ah, I didn't even realize runes mattered for anything. I'm on Episode 4 now, Azure Agony... some of the levels in this episode have been pretty terrible as far as horrible level design (no warnings for massive piles of enemies and inadequate room to maneuver, especially The Pain Maze's stupid push-you-into-room-full-of-purple-exploding-blob-things trick. That was pretty annoying). Azure Agony isn't so bad, but some of the ones before it were.

Anyway, overall it's been pretty good. Is there any way to kill those homing explode ball things the spider demon things shoot at you?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 00:22

Waffnuffly wrote:Ah, I didn't even realize runes mattered for anything.

Runes are the way the game keeps track of which episodes you've completed. You have to have all four to open the final level.

Waffnuffly wrote:I'm on Episode 4 now, Azure Agony... some of the levels in this episode have been pretty terrible as far as horrible level design (no warnings for massive piles of enemies and inadequate room to maneuver, especially The Pain Maze's stupid push-you-into-room-full-of-purple-exploding-blob-things trick. That was pretty annoying). Azure Agony isn't so bad, but some of the ones before it were.

Yes, I agree that Sandy Petersen's designs are patchy. E4M2, "The Tower of Hate" (I think that's what it's called; the really dark one, anyway) is the worst offender. There are some cool bits, too, though, like the graveyard in E4M3 "The Elder God Shrine".

...and yes, I've always rather hated The Pain Maze. For that sequence with the exploding Spawns, I'd have recommended using the Thunderbolt.

Waffnuffly wrote:Anyway, overall it's been pretty good. Is there any way to kill those homing explode ball things the spider demon things shoot at you?

Nope. Try to get them to hit the scenery.

EDIT: The last map is puzzle-based. If in doubt, consult a walkthrough (I'm going offline now).

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 00:25

Yeah, the first time I did that area I escaped with maybe 15 health and a bunch of pissed off Play Dough chasing me. The second time, I had a quad damage amp and used the shotty to clear everything before I was even pushed all the way down.

And yeah, the Palace of Hate was pretty dull, as was the Tower of Despair (if I'm getting the names right) which came before it. It was totally stupid to see water which you could jump in to, only to realize it wasn't water at all as you just fell way down and landed on a Shambler's head!

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 19:23

Waffnuffly wrote:Yeah, the first time I did that area I escaped with maybe 15 health and a bunch of pissed off Play Dough chasing me. The second time, I had a quad damage amp and used the shotty to clear everything before I was even pushed all the way down.

Ha! Wait until you play Dissolution of Eternity, with its uber-spawns that subdivide when first damaged. :P

Waffnuffly wrote:And yeah, the Palace of Hate was pretty dull, as was the Tower of Despair (if I'm getting the names right) which came before it. It was totally stupid to see water which you could jump in to, only to realize it wasn't water at all as you just fell way down and landed on a Shambler's head!

Ach, sorry, I was thinking of the Tower of Despair (I actually don't mind the Palace of Hate too much).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 19:53

Waff, I'm now wondering if you found all four secret levels? (I used to love hunting for secrets back in the day).

I also wonder if you found this:

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 20:15

Haha, no, I haven't found all of the secrets, though I did find one of the levels - the one that comes before the wind tunnel level. Can't remember what it was called, but it was good.

Also, the electric beam weapon is great, but it usually has too little ammo to be of much use. It's hilarious how you can gib yourself if you fire it underwater, too. Found that out the hard way the first time!

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 20:34

Waffnuffly wrote:Also, the electric beam weapon is great, but it usually has too little ammo to be of much use. It's hilarious how you can gib yourself if you fire it underwater, too. Found that out the hard way the first time!

Aaah, a trick I liked to use in Deathmatch if I was about to die. Dive into the water, have someone follow me and then discharge the Thunderbolt! Particularly effective with Quad Damage. 8)

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 21:54

I haven't played those secret levels in the days I was playing Quake...

But.. Dopefish? :lol: I didn't know that was also in Quake. I know it's in Daikatana and I thought also in Duke Nukem, but not sure about that one actually... (looked it up.. it's some text appearing somewhere in game)

as for Daikatana:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 22:00

lol... nice 3D Dope!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008, 22:10

Still the most annoying fish character next to the Biterfish.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Oct 2008, 17:06

Waff, we haven't heard from you for ages on the subject of Quake. You were so close to finishing it, and I'm wondering if you ever did so? In fact, did you start the awesomeness of Scourge of Armagon yet?

Previous Next