Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

The "Post your Photos" thread (part 2)

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008, 22:43

CaesarMagnus wrote:Nice pictures!
Is that with a little point and shoot, or a more advanced camera?

Thanks.

I just used a simple point and shoot digital camera. It's not my photography that makes the pics good, though - it's the subject. :P
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008, 08:59

Great shots, Scrag! :tup:

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008, 02:31

Took a roadtrip through NC to visit the mom for her bday. Took some carcam pix along the way.
Typical country highway.
With the typical run-down shanty advertising some business that's been closed for decades or more.
Typical country downtown. Passing through.
Tracks
In SC, just shy of the NC border you see this monstrosity.
and a typical American interstate, July 8. In case you've ever wondered what they really look like on July4th weekend.
Somewhere in NC. Couldn't pass up this opportunity.

Also went to the lake today. Not my boat. Being a Sr Programmer w/ > 20yrs exp pays. I'd recommend it. Not my blood either. GA clay.
I really like this shot, figuratively it has a message.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008, 10:57

Interesting pics...

That is the reddest clay I've ever seen!

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 00:42

I've been back to Ravello on the Amalfi Coast, Italy (top spot in the world for me at the moment), travelling this time with 3 friends, armed with my digital camera. Here are a mere 54 pics for your attention!

No captions offered for the moment, but these will be posted on my web site within the next few days and will be provided with captions at that time.

AROUND RAVELLO

EXCURSIONS - WALK TO ATRANI / AMALFI

EXCURSIONS - BOAT TRIP TO POSITANO

EXCURSIONS - WALK TO MINORI

RAVELLO BY NIGHT

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 01:03

Awesome, must go there next time I go to Italy

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 01:07

Frieza wrote:Awesome, must go there next time I go to Italy

It is indeed awesome. I actually took 333 photos and 8 videos (after deletions) but I figured that 54 pics was enough to be getting on with for sharing here. :P

I lost my mobile phone at Naples airport, though, which is a pain in the arse!

I can't work out whether I visited Ravello for the first time before or after I first played Unreal, but there's a connection there. The more advanced Nali architecture may be more Mediaeval English than Italian, but the lanterns of Na Pali Haven and the meandering alleyways and steps of e.g. Above the Clouds or Illhaven definitely bear a loose resemblance to Ravello!

Sounds are also very important to the atmosphere of Ravello, which is why I recorded my 8 short videos. In the height of summer the two most distinctive noises are the scraping sounds made by the cicadas in the trees (like the one pictured above sitting on the olive tree) and the church bells.

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 10:28

You did manage to avoid Naples otherwise? With all the garbage rotting there for months. Must've been quite the smell.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 11:01

Frieza wrote:You did manage to avoid Naples otherwise? With all the garbage rotting there for months. Must've been quite the smell.

I only saw Naples from the autostrada. I'm aware of that particular problem, though. Wouldn't want to be caught up in the middle of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 14:33

Make a DOM-TempoClasm2 with more spots from that place! ;)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 15:18

Hellscrag wrote:I only saw Naples from the autostrada. I'm aware of that particular problem, though. Wouldn't want to be caught up in the middle of it.

Good that you've followed my advice.

Anyway, you went in the same, EXACT places as me when I did a trip organized by the school. We weren't able to see the main churches of Amalfi and Ravello, and I was angry as eff since I paid for the trip.

Nonetheless, Amalfi was disappointing since there was nothing special about it, and there was rain, mixed together with the sun.

Now Ravello was really awesome. When I went here, there wasn't that amount of people as shown in your screens. It was freaking silencious, especially the main plaza. Oh wait, there's a bath which required you to pay €€; I wonder if you saw it.

I managed to do all the way from Ravello to Amalfi on-foot and then viceversa: 120 minutes of pure torture, but it was worth a look. There was also a hallway to a church inside a mountain.

They are pretty nice places. Oh and...

Hellscrag wrote:Image

Rofl. Looks like is still there :lol:

I would have been to able to meet you in person if you said that you were going in those places :P
Last edited by UB_ on 27 Jul 2008, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 20:01

UBerserker wrote:Anyway, you went in the same, EXACT places as me when I did a trip organized by the school. We weren't able to see the main churches of Amalfi and Ravello, and I was angry as eff since I paid for the trip.

Cool that you've been there too. :tup:

UBerserker wrote:Nonetheless, Amalfi was disappointing since there was nothing special about it, and there was rain, mixed together with the sun.

I agree that, as the Amalfi Coast goes, there's nothing special about Amalfi itself. All the interesting activity is pretty much confined to that one central street (Via Genova / Via Capuano). The back alleys are nice but you can go to Atrani or Positano for that. The seafront is impressive, though, and the landscape is as amazing as ever.

UBerserker wrote:Now Ravello was really awesome. When I went here, there wasn't that amount of people as shown in your screens. It was freaking silencious, especially the main plaza. Oh wait, there's a bath which required you to pay €€; I wonder if you saw it.

Ravello is quite vibrant during the high summer. In the evenings, the whole town seems to gravitate to Piazza Duomo. The kids play in the square whilst the parents visit the shops and bars. It's pretty atmospheric. Also the cicadas are amazing.

UBerserker wrote:I managed to do all the way from Ravello to Amalfi on-foot and then viceversa: 120 minutes of pure torture, but it was worth a look. There was also a hallway to a church inside a mountain.

You WALKED BACK UP? I enjoy walking down the hill, but during the summer heat I think I would struggle to climb back up. The walk back up from Minori is something that I would like to do, however, after dark (there is lighting for the whole distance). Might see some fireflies.

Did you actually stay in Ravello then? If so, where?

UBerserker wrote:I would have been to able to meet you in person if you said that you were going in those places :P

Hehehe. I've never met in person anybody that I've only met online, and I don't intend to start doing so now, although it might have been quite amusing (particularly as Enigma was there too).
Last edited by Hellscrag on 27 Jul 2008, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 20:06

Oh - UB - do you have any idea what those huge green vegetables are??? I have no idea!

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 20:08

sana wrote:Make a DOM-TempoClasm2 with more spots from that place! ;)

lol. If I were focusing just on Piazza Duomo instead of the whole Tempoclasm theme (with so many nodelimit-nuking complex BSP lamps) I would do a much better job than I did with DOM-Tempoclasm ("inspired by" Ravello rather than a direct copy).

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008, 20:34

UBerserker wrote:I would have been to able to meet you in person if you said that you were going in those places :P

Hehehe. I've never met in person anybody that I've only met online, and I don't intend to start doing so now, although it might have been quite amusing (particularly as Enigma was there too).

Uh oh, do I smell some online dating and romance here? :shy: :P

Previous Next