Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

New map review suggestion box

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008, 22:22

Zora is simply suited for Coop; same with TH mappack, although the latter is really great, especially with its unique gameplay and for its last map.

Bafford was supposed to be played in SP.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008, 22:33

Ive played some of Zora's maps.. and yes, they are for coop... I didn't care for the atmosphere. Too bland.. (but that was years ago.. dunno if the maps have improved)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Ryanx69x
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008, 17:55

Lol check this map out it rules.

http://www.skaarjmonuments.com/Download ... anisum.zip

didnt know that the krall sucked so much at driving :|

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008, 18:17

Ryanx69x wrote:Lol check this map out it rules.

http://www.skaarjmonuments.com/Download ... anisum.zip

didnt know that the krall sucked so much at driving :|

hm... http://www.skaarjmonuments.com/ is an interesting site.. tons of maps, interesting... :) :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008, 02:36

So have you checked out my review scrag?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008, 11:06

TheIronKnuckle wrote:So have you checked out my review scrag?

Sorry to say that with all the business about the server move I completely forgot about it. I'll try to look at it this weekend.
Life is what you make of it.

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008, 11:07

Just a thought: Would you guys consider reviewing "The Ball"? You know, that ut3 puzzle SP experience with the massive ball. That counts as SP and could be interesting for a review. Although on this site there has never been a review of a map that wasn't built for the original unreal engine so this would be quite unprecedented and imo hard to score as a result. You would have nothing to compare it to because it uses a different engine. Not to mention the completely out there gameplay.

I've also noticed that the review schema tends to be better suited to the original unreal engine. Rating a UT3 map based on architecture, texturing and lighting fails to consider static meshes and other new engine thingies.

I reckon it would be interesting to see a review that wasn't for a Uengine 1 SPmod for once.

wael
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008, 13:20

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Just a thought: Would you guys consider reviewing "The Ball"? You know, that ut3 puzzle SP experience with the massive ball. That counts as SP and could be interesting for a review. Although on this site there has never been a review of a map that wasn't built for the original unreal engine so this would be quite unprecedented and imo hard to score as a result. You would have nothing to compare it to because it uses a different engine. Not to mention the completely out there gameplay.

I've also noticed that the review schema tends to be better suited to the original unreal engine. Rating a UT3 map based on architecture, texturing and lighting fails to consider static meshes and other new engine thingies.

I reckon it would be interesting to see a review that wasn't for a Uengine 1 SPmod for once.

IIRC the rule is if it's not UE1 then it has to be related to the unreal universe, which The Ball isn't.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008, 19:45

wael wrote:IIRC the rule is if it's not UE1 then it has to be related to the unreal universe, which The Ball isn't.

That's right. :tup:

Ryanx69x
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008, 00:58

What does the fact that its not related to the unreal universe have to do with anything? This is just an unreal single player map site, and it should review any map made in the Unreal games, regardless of its story. Besides, we already have map packs like Panic and Spatial Fear reviewed and they have absolutley nothing to do with the Unreal Universe.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot, any map thats NOT made in UE1, but still I think it's a dumb rule.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008, 01:06

I believe the way it boils down is that Spatial Fear and Panic are not based in the Unreal universe but use the old Unreal/UT engine, whereas anything 2KX and up is considered too far removed.

Now, this is one (and perhaps the only) aspect of USP that I actually disagree with because I don't think it makes any sense, when you think about it. The way I see it if you're going to allow anything released under an old Unreal engine dependency that is played as a SP, it should technically be fair game for any engine? Since what really has changed? It's all under the unreal umbrella, and I certainly believe that the SP mods made under UT's umbrella helped keep the community going. And under those circumstances I think it be a benefit for the site to incorporate current engine unreal-engine community SPs.

But I'm not running the site, and Hellscrag's wishes must be respected in this case.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008, 17:59

A key consideration was how on Earth do you score a map pack that resembles Unreal in neither appearance nor storyline in any manner that is meaningful compared to everything else reviewed on the site?

Also, this time from a purely selfish perspective, UE2+ mods that have no connection to the Unreal storyline basically hold no interest for me.

Ryanx69x wrote:This is just an unreal single player map site, and it should review any map made in the Unreal games, regardless of its story.

There is no duty on this web site to do anything, really, so to say that the site "should" cover all mods based on any gaming platform with "Unreal" in the title is erroneous. UnrealSP.Org offers a certain service on a voluntary basis, the criteria for which have been clearly set out since day one.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008, 20:23

Fair enough. Although I'd think the schema would broad enough for such a venture if you felt up to it.

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2008, 03:43

personally i like the idea of reviewing non-unreal related stuff on the other unreal engines.
But the current schema doesn't really accomodate the other engines imo.

For example texturing is not as big an issue in ut3 as it is in ut99. Hourences made a map using nothing but static meshes so if we were to review that under the current schema what would it be rated?
no texures = 0 points for the texturing side of the schema right?

So while i enjoy the idea that more mods could be reviewed here i don't really think the current schema holds up with the more recent techniques of mapping.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2008, 11:58

TheIronKnuckle wrote:personally i like the idea of reviewing non-unreal related stuff on the other unreal engines.
But the current schema doesn't really accomodate the other engines imo.

For example texturing is not as big an issue in ut3 as it is in ut99. Hourences made a map using nothing but static meshes so if we were to review that under the current schema what would it be rated?
no texures = 0 points for the texturing side of the schema right?

So while i enjoy the idea that more mods could be reviewed here i don't really think the current schema holds up with the more recent techniques of mapping.

All of which IMO validates my original reasoning for not reviewing UE2+ mods beyond the storyline of Unreal. They're just not comparable, and to weaken the focus of the site's schema to incorporate unrelated mods made with newer engines would IMO be to undermine the point of having this web site at all.

Previous Next