Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

24/11/2008 - "Shia'dorle Refuge" by zynthetic

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: 24/11/2008 - "Shia'dorle Refuge" by zynthetic

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008, 19:01

Map Title: Shia'dorle Refuge
Author: Dana "zynthetic" Nassick
Filename: USP-07-Zynthetic.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Unreal ... e_/1211176

Image Image
Image Image

Synopsis: The player arrives in an ancient Nali crossroads, a sacred place connecting several temples and villages. Traps and surprises await in the darkened hallways.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008, 19:13

Nice level.. had fun playing it (and no, I'm not referring to the EE)! Had quite a few flies that were pretty annoying, but other than that it was pretty fun.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008, 20:42

Some nice ideas in this one, and once again zyn goes overboard with the EEs. The lack of a proper skybox is a shame, but there were reasons for doing it (adding this map fixed a strange skybox bug in progression from Jaunie's second map to zyn's other map).

When the map first came through to me it was set to use Fourth.umx. I wasn't happy with that and changed it to Fifth.umx. In hindsight, this may not have been the best choice either - but it was difficult to know which track to choose (which didn't duplicate a more positive track used elsewhere in the pack).

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008, 21:30

I remember it being quite good with chizra style claustrophobia. Haven't played deja vu for ages though so i can't commment further.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008, 21:55

probably third or fourth favorite under Palace of Chizra and Cellars of E'Nara. I think the underwater area sticks out the most in this map.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008, 03:34

Zyn needs to map more. He's good at it.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008, 08:27

Don't know why, but I don't go for the "USP"'s very much.

This map was ok, but too dark wierd looking.
Just ban everyone

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008, 10:17

The second screenshot shows labyrinth with flies, IIRC. That was remarkable part of map for me.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008, 18:39

redeye wrote:Don't know why, but I don't go for the "USP"'s very much.

This map was ok, but too dark wierd looking.

Hard to see why, since they're all pretty different to one another - but fair enough I guess!

'The "USP"s'? Most people would say "Deja Vu". :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008, 19:44

The first thing that I remember about this map is the high amount of EEs, most of them were pretty cool and ****ing hard to find.

The first time I played this map I thought it was some kind of lazy job, but I wasn't really right. Yep, all dark and claustrophobic corridors, I can't complain since it's a catacomb, so there's really no problem with the layout. And with the build too. The music choice is perfect for me.

IMO, corridors should have been longer with parts of it being even darker. Would be a great start for some kind of spooky map D:

The traps were pretty funny. The hardest one is probably the ambush of the Flies, since you can be damaged a lot if you aren't careful. The others were extremely predictable.

The amount of ammo is high and the Tentacles and Flies are weak and bla bla bla you know it. Fortunately the Slith were here to kick your ass. They are always dangerous in small areas. Even more than the pissed off Pupae in the secret area, who anyway got me accidentally and forced me to reload the game, and fight again the damn Giant Enemy Squid.
Giant Enemy Squid was really easy. I bet a Giant Enemy Devilfish would have been more scary in the underwater area.
This latter piece of environment looked really great and atmospheric. Through the DV2 review I read that it had some kind of BSP error but I didn't find any.

Oh well, Yntic Zhet Pass and Pan'thali Heaven need to be explored someday.
This is one of the most entertaining maps in DV2 due to its concept.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008, 19:48

UBerserker wrote:Oh well, Yntic Zhet Pass and Pan'thali Heaven need to be explored someday.
This is one of the most entertaining maps in DV2 due to its concept.

I always took "Yntic Zhet Pass" to be the terrain area seen in USP-08 ("Nd'defel's Defeat").

For the record, this is "Pan'thali Haven", so that message is kinda an Easter Egg in itself!

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008, 21:20

lulz. I never noticed the name of Yntic Zhet Pass. This must pack must have more easter eggs then i thought.

I actually lol'd on my first playthrough because i was stumbling upon easter eggs all the time. Like in Scrags skaarj map (i think), i was having an intense fight with some skaarj and i decided to switch to flak. I fired one shot at the skaarj and suddenly the wall was exploding on me and a message starts flashing on the screen claiming that i must be so 1337 because i found an easter egg.

I didn't find it! I accidentily uncovered it! :lol:

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008, 21:57

TheIronKnuckle wrote:lulz. I never noticed the name of Yntic Zhet Pass. This must pack must have more easter eggs then i thought.

I actually lol'd on my first playthrough because i was stumbling upon easter eggs all the time. Like in Scrags skaarj map (i think), i was having an intense fight with some skaarj and i decided to switch to flak. I fired one shot at the skaarj and suddenly the wall was exploding on me and a message starts flashing on the screen claiming that i must be so 1337 because i found an easter egg.

I didn't find it! I accidentily uncovered it! :lol:

Sorry... not my map! I don't know where that's from.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008, 22:06

Checked the EE list in the DV2's walkthrough and it doesn't seem to be here.

I think it's from ONP...
ImageImage

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008, 01:41

Wasn't this the map with the catacombs where you fell through that giagantic BSP hole in the ground? Atleast i fell through it....and kept falling for like...ever lol...it was really bizzare :?
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Next