Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Half-Life 2 Episode 2 is Awesome and Sexy

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Half-Life 2 Episode 2 is Awesome and Sexy

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2007, 21:37

Finally got around to it after being preoccupied with RL stuff. I played through all the other Orange Box components; Re-run through HL2, a ridiculous amount of fun playing Portal, and then there was countless multiplayer hours raping people as the Spy in Team Fortress 2. Finally I got around to playing Episode 1 for the first time and was surprised that it was better, and longer than I was expecting (I had heard "things"). By the time I finished it I was pumped for Episode 2.

And it was awesome. Loads of combat/adrenaline pumping action sequences and great story telling. And lots of LOL funny moments. Great environments. And Striders. Lots and lots of Striders. And what an ending...

Anyone else playing it? Or am I the only one marveled by this one?

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2007, 21:56

Played it and I gotta agree - it's pretty much awesome. Although hi-detail shadows lagged my computer too much, so I had to disable them, the visuals still were mindblowing. So was everything else!
But meh, there won't be much fun in re-playing it, I think. Achievements I haven't achieved include killing each grub in the game (which must be awful because you just can't notice or waste ammo on every single grub you see), and that's not really motivating.

Team Fortress 2, however, still got me playing it. It's incredible fun.

On a side note: Some kinda patch has been released for BioShock adding like 5 new plasmids, fixing lots of bugs and a new difficulty option to disable VitaChamber respawning. Sounds promising, doesn't it? Have you tried it yet?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2007, 21:59

sana wrote:
On a side note: Some kinda patch has been released for BioShock adding like 5 new plasmids, fixing lots of bugs and a new difficulty option to disable VitaChamber respawning. Sounds promising, doesn't it? Have you tried it yet?

Interesting, but unforetunatly for me I have the 360 version. I trust the new plasmids are useful though.

As for everyone else.

If any of you truly love someone, it is your duty to buy them the Orange Box this holiday season. It's the best video game deal in years.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2007, 22:01

I read something about the patch being available for the 360 version, too.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2007, 22:02

Snap! :o

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2007, 22:18

From the Orange Box, I just love TF2. Great gameplay, great classes and great maps.
Being a game of small proportions, it is doing big online.

Fortunately 2k Games released a patch for BioShock. At least I have a good reason to play that game again.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2007, 03:05

Episode 2 is awesome, in fact, I can't think of a single moment where it flagged for me (that mostly applies to episode 1 too, but not to the same degree), actually, the closest it came is probably the last battle, as it seemed to be missing something to make it feel truly epic to me, although it was still very good. With Episode 2 it's like Valve have perfected what they were apparently going for with Half-Life 2.

The two new enemies went some way to expanding HL2's somewhat meager default selection (along with the Zombines), especially the Hunters, who are the first truly threatening non-miniboss (E.G. the choppers and Striders) enemy I've seen in HL2. It was also nice to finally get a bit of exposition in the storyline. On that note, there's already a setup for massive amounts of awesome stuff in Episode 3, and that's before you factor in a Portal crossover...

Actually I replayed HL2 recently and it was better than I remembered. I imagine that not having minute+ loading times anymore (like my old computer did) helped my impression a lot. I guess I can go again when the EP2 graphical content+achievements are added to it.

As for the rest. Portal pulling off its story so well is nice surprise, and it had some good puzzles in there too (and a perfect learning curve). Also, its medal challenges are actually difficult, which is a something I haven't seen in a while; most time trails etc seem to be piss-easy nowadays, I'll admit me getting involved in the speedrunning community probably went some way towards causing that, but the Portal golds were pretty tough despite that. The potential for custom levels is also amazing (I've already seen a few very cool ones).

Team Fortress 2 is the only online game I've been interested in for ages (as TFC was the only online game I became something more than cannon-fodder in), and it lived up to my hopes, as well as fixing a lot of the balance issues/weirdness TFC had (for instance, the medics are improved by actually being made into medics, as opposed to the super doom commandos decent ones are in TFC).

User avatar Kajgue
N-Team Leader N-Team Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2007, 13:13

Funny you should mention that, since I went throught it again last night and am about to continue. :P
N-Team leader
The Silver Blades clan chief

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2007, 17:12

Yup, The Orange Box is pretty much the most awesome thing this gaming year.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2007, 13:38

so as i'm intending to get the orange box quite soon (likely after the holidays tho :P )

how is ep2 exactly? i mean i really enjoyed hl2 but i somehow didn't like ep1 that much, is ep2 different from ep1 or am i in for the same (imo boring) ride?

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2007, 13:58

Well it's a lot more interesting than Episode 1 in terms of story. In EP1 you were basically playing an encore of the last chapters of HL2 with a sidekick. Episode 2 actually goes into new territory, level wise. You're on the fringe of the wilderness with a smoldering crater that used to be city 17 on the horizon. It's more intense in terms of narrative and by the time you wrap it all up it really seems like a lot of important events have taken place. It's also got the best ending of the HL2 series so far, In my opinion.

Gameplay wise, it's a lot of fun. Lot of real epic fights in this one that had me grinning like an idiot.

So yeah, I'd say it's certainly better than episode 1...but then again it all depends solely on your opinion of HL2.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2007, 14:17

well i absolutely loved hl2, but i just haven't had those feelings for ep1.
ep1 just bored me because the best part was already at the beginning, watching the citadel completely fall apart from the inside. After that it just dragged you along throughout boring uninspiring locales that weren't half as interesting as what you had in hl2, the fights, rather then epic, were dull and seen-this-before.

from what you said i can assume ep2 does things differently. Now you mention it, i completely forgot that you're in the wilderness now which opens alot new awesome possibilities rather then recycling the old stuff again i guess. So how large is the ep2 campaign? another thing that bothered me about ep1 was how short it was, i'm hoping ep2 is at least half the length of the original hl2 campaign ;)

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2007, 14:20

Turboman wrote:
from what you said i can assume ep2 does things differently. Now you mention it, i completely forgot that you're in the wilderness now which opens alot new awesome possibilities rather then recycling the old stuff again i guess. So how large is the ep2 campaign? another thing that bothered me about ep1 was how short it was, i'm hoping ep2 is at least half the length of the original hl2 campaign ;)

Size is hard to say. For me it seemed longer than Episode 1 by about twice the size...but I can't confirm this. I went through Episode 1 rather quickly and with 2 I was taking my time. But it seemed about twice the length.