Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

The Last Fortress - FINAL Released!

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009, 15:34

Legendslayer222 wrote:I assume you won't be able to see into those windows when your playing the finished thing, because from your angle on the screenshots the windows look boarded up. Unless theyare meant to have shutters over them.

Those windows are going to be sniper nests for Skaarj Troopers (but not necessarily Skaarj Snipers). You can see through them into a hallway where they will be able to run along the length of the boardwalk to follow you and take potshots as you progress.

That won't be all, though, as there are plenty of other turret towers and places for other jerks to shoot at you, including some custom Brutes/Skaarj with long-range/fast projectiles. The hallways right now are visible due to zonelight, but they will be zoned off and much much darker once I add portals to the windows. This way, the trooper ambushes will be harder to predict even when you know they are coming. Lots of OddsOfAppearing and stuff. There will still be cover on the bridge, though, like munitions containers brought in by the Skaarj (as they own the whole place now), including some AAA guns on the towers.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009, 15:37

Interesting!

I'm looking more and more foward to getting shot through the head. :D

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009, 16:31

Proof of concept shots are making me jizz. Lookign forward to your work as always waff :tup:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 16:50

The Skaarj bombed several parts of the place to clear out the minor pockets of resistance (a few Nali with stolen guns), so there are a number of areas with severe structural damage. Also, the Skaarj are beginning to assimilate the fortress for their own purposes, so a number of supplies are being dropped in and set up to convert the structure into a sensor and long-range artillery base.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 17:12

Love the lighting gantry integrated into the archway. :tup:
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 19:04

Looks amazing (as always 8) ), but how do the broken bits of the archway stay stuck to the side of the light? :?

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 19:09

There's a big middle piece that isn't as thick as the two side pieces. It makes more sense when you look at it in-game.

(Also, the fixture was installed to support the damaged archway so it wouldn't cause another bridge explosion. It turned out to be a good precaution, as you can see, since the two chunks fell onto it)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 22:15

Skaarj-ified castle D:

Looks much better now, the repetitiveness of the area has gone away.
ImageImage

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 22:55

Awesome :D
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 22:59

Hellscrag wrote:Waff - I sympathise with your comments about lighting large areas. Oh for a sunlight actor!

Well, Dots' particle emitter package includes a light actor which allows for unlimited light radius..!

And, well, it's looking good I guess, though my excitement is diminished by the fact that I began to loathe NaliC and contrastless orange lighting. But you'll fix this up at the later stages, I'm sure.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 23:00

sana wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:Waff - I sympathise with your comments about lighting large areas. Oh for a sunlight actor!

Well, Dots' particle emitter package includes a light actor which allows for unlimited light radius..!

And, well, it's looking good I guess, though my excitement is diminished by the fact that I began to loathe NaliC and contrastless orange lighting. But you'll fix this up at the later stages, I'm sure.

That.... might be worth looking into! :o

What do you mean about contrastless lighting? Any tips for improving it? Seriously I know balls about decent lighting. I'm just doing my best to emulate directional light from the sun with 255-radius cylinder lights.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 23:19

Waffnuffly wrote:That.... might be worth looking into! :o

Outside of this contest, maybe.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 23:29

Waffnuffly wrote:What do you mean about contrastless lighting? Any tips for improving it? Seriously I know balls about decent lighting. I'm just doing my best to emulate directional light from the sun with 255-radius cylinder lights.

All I mean is, like, there's just one color on the screen. Perhaps you should light some dark spots with differently colored lamps or something
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 23:29

Awesome work! :D

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009, 23:45

Hellscrag wrote:Outside of this contest, maybe.

Or I could, you know, look at the code and see how it's done, then incorporate it into MyLevel. If I need it, that is; I think I'm doing ok so far with basic lights.

sana wrote:All I mean is, like, there's just one color on the screen. Perhaps you should light some dark spots with differently colored lamps or something

Not much I can do about that. This is a semi-abandoned (except for Skaarj) fortress at sunset; no torches will be lit or anything. I don't really know what else it would look like.

Previous Next