Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

SP-Phoenix Rising

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009, 14:12

The gameplay is, honestly, the best bit about the two maps. But it needs some tweaks regarding the inventory (as said before, more health is needed), scripted sequences and some variety.

The build is a let-down. Aside the zone in which you get stuck, the lighting in the outdoor sections is weak (especially in the second map) and the place feels very empty. Lack of details indeed. It's funny though how much good is the first indoor area compared to the rest :o

Then, there isn't a real story and both maps are short. They look weird as they are now, but the concept of going back in time is pretty damn nice.
ImageImage

Sarevok
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009, 21:34

UBerserker wrote:The gameplay is, honestly, the best bit about the two maps. But it needs some tweaks regarding the inventory (as said before, more health is needed), scripted sequences and some variety.

The build is a let-down. Aside the zone in which you get stuck, the lighting in the outdoor sections is weak (especially in the second map) and the place feels very empty. Lack of details indeed. It's funny though how much good is the first indoor area compared to the rest :o

Then, there isn't a real story and both maps are short. They look weird as they are now, but the concept of going back in time is pretty damn nice.

Wow I got to admit I'm pretty surprised by that one. I thought the build was pretty solid with enough details to keep things interesting. The story was basically a cheap gimmick to use the "back in time" scenario, I actually came up with the idea with about 3 weeks left. The zone lighting was intended to make the outdoor lighting more even, thought it would look more realistic. The second map was meant to be just a plain regular day, nothing fancy, not much you can do with lighting in that scenario except maybe change the color or saturation. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the skyboxes, they're pretty pathetic :P

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009, 01:31

After playing the map (sorry it took so long Sarevok), I have come to the conclusion that the map just simply feels rushed (in every way). Do I think you should give up on this map? Hell no. You can withdraw it from the competition (I wouldn't really recommend that either), but I still want to play a revised version of this someday. This map has some real potential and its definitly a step up (design wise) from USP-02-Sarevok (I assume your work).

TBH, I was even rushed to play your map here and I will play it again on Unreal difficulty instead of Medium to get a slower paced experience. I just recommend that you slowly revise this map until you get it to a state that you see acceptable for being one of the main compilation maps. I'm sure the other guys would wait for it :tup:

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009, 10:51

Slightly off-topic, but I've just noticed you only joined four days before me. :o

I thought you had been one of these people on the site from '07.

Dork
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009, 11:40

Slightly more off topic:
Sarevok's profile http://www.hellscrag.net/phpBB2/profile ... ofile&u=10
I play games to see purty stuff Image.

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009, 12:51

Dork wrote:Slightly more off topic:
Sarevok's profile http://www.hellscrag.net/phpBB2/profile ... ofile&u=10

Eh? I looked through the old memberlist a while ago & somehow missed his name. :?

That explains a lot. :B

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009, 15:08

He worked on Deja Vu too.
ImageImage

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2009, 03:46

He used to be under the handle TheChief7 too during the era of the early 2000's. (Yay, knowing other people's personal history!)

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2009, 10:51

GTD-Carthage wrote:He used to be under the handle TheChief7 too during the era of the early 2000's. (Yay, knowing other people's personal history!)

Bah! I remember that being said now. I should think before I make :B :B :B comments. :rolleyes:

Sarevok
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2009, 21:47

I've been a member here since 2001. I remember the days of EBM, Naveed, Drevlin, Techno JF etc...think there was only about 8 regulars at that time and about 1 post per week :P . I did change my name once and I think there was a forum crash and an upgrade in which everybody had to reregister. Long time no see Dork o/ 8)

Previous