UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Mister Prophet writes a Fan Fiction

Post your fan fiction & fan art threads here.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Mister Prophet writes a Fan Fiction

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009, 09:29

...But I can't post it in here because it's 28,000 + words. So I uploaded it to FanFiction.net.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5366253/1/T ... o_Survives

It's rated M for mature on the site, and for some reason there isn't an Unreal section specifically, so everything Unreal related goes under the Unreal Tournament banner. But this is a Unreal story. Hellscrag, if you read this and you're still interested in putting it up on the main site, lemme know and I'll send you the final version.

I don't read fan fictions, usually. But I write, and this was a short story that happens to be related to Na Pali and the Unreal universe (and also the Jones Saga). I was goaded into writing one because my gf (who reads fanfics avidly) wanted me to. But instead of writing something for one of the anime shows she likes, I decided to write about Unreal. I didn't write it to be dependent on the game for reference, as I know most fan fics do. For those who are interested in some details, the Na Pali referenced in this contains elements of narrative present in the Na Pali section of Residual Decay.

So yeah :o

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009, 17:30

I've made it to the second three asterisks so far. It's refreshing to see a well thought-out story, especially one of such length.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009, 18:28

Hi Proph. By all means send me the final version, and I'll host it here and add news.

To everyone else: It's a good story. 45 pages or so, but worth a read.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009, 18:40

Good story. Keep it up :)
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009, 18:49

Writing an Unreal story for your girlfriend? Wow, I'm sure people would love their girlfriend to have tastes like that. :P

Very impressive read. Especially loved the first part! It's nice to see Na Pali from a more realistic POV, viewing it as a horrible, dangerous alien world instead of a fun ride for a superhuman with endless stamina carrying 10 weapons and 50 flak shells in his pants. Though [personally I'm not so keen on the rest of the story. Going straight from a badass survival segment set in Na Pali wilderness to the tea party of a madman swimming in guns and luxury possessions didn't feel right and kinda missed the general Unreal feeling the first part conveyed so well. Regardless you pulled off the plot twist very well; I certainly did not see that coming. Love the OWS concept! And I came to think that sexual references and eww-so-gorey segments in grimdark settings are becoming a trademark of yours; that kinda stuff could already be seen in that one Skytown Redux easter-egg... :P]

Feels like the concept of more realistic survival, scavenging supplies and a careful approach to Unreal opposition and combat could be made into an interesting map..
Last edited by ividyon on 10 Sep 2009, 18:54, edited 3 times in total.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009, 18:52

sana wrote:Feels like the concept of more realistic survival, scavenging supplies and a careful approach to Unreal opposition and combat could be made into an interesting map..
Wait for Dragonfly.

Umm, have no time to read. But will read soon.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009, 18:56

the krall character was absolutely perfect. I haven't got very far, but so far I think its awesome.

qtit wrote:
sana wrote:Feels like the concept of more realistic survival, scavenging supplies and a careful approach to Unreal opposition and combat could be made into an interesting map..
Wait for Dragonfly.

Umm, have no time to read. But will read soon.

wait for 7 bullets!

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009, 19:05

Screw it, I'm reading...

User avatar Stakhanov
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009, 20:14

Well that was raw , wonder what the translator events will be like in Residual Decay :|

Very skillful prose throughout , I hardly ever have the patience to read for that long.

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009, 21:22

Glad you guys like it.
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 12 May 2019, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Sep 2009, 06:53

finished. :tup:

Wonderful read! Having known the layout of the Sunspire/Spirevillage area beforehand, I could easily translate area locations to descriptive images in my mind (something I'm not usually capable of doing when reading solely from words). I guess that's what makes Fan-Fiction like this so awesome for us Unreal geeks!

I truly came to respect and admire Royce as a sole adventurer set out to escape Na-Pali and return home (this character beats the LIVING SHIT out of Prisinor 849!).

I came alright.

I also came to pity Calhoun's attempt of becoming a mortal spire by simply playing another useless match of KOTH.

KOTH match on The Sunspire anyone? I could definitely make that happen!

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Sep 2009, 07:48

jackrabbit wrote:I truly came to respect and admire Royce as a sole adventurer set out to escape Na-Pali and return home (this character beats the LIVING SHIT out of Prisinor 849!).

Well to be fair to Prisoner 849, he/she was made to be a generic placeholder. :o

But thanks.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Sep 2009, 08:57

Mister_Prophet wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:I truly came to respect and admire Royce as a sole adventurer set out to escape Na-Pali and return home (this character beats the LIVING SHIT out of Prisinor 849!).

Well to be fair to Prisoner 849, he/she was made to be a generic placeholder. :o

But thanks.

yes.. unfortunate but true.

I do wonder what would have happened if Curly decided to take the side of Royce during the climax... will we be seeing any sort of an alternate ending in the future? Of course, that could potentially make some things that develop the Curly character earlier in the story not fit right. I would have to read it again to really see if it would/wouldn't work in my eyes at least.

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Sep 2009, 10:31

No it's a finished story. A complete deal. Ambiguous endings for the win :o

Although...you might hear more about Calhoun in RD, just sayin