Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[RELEASED] Leo's Contest map - Isle of Sharighar

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Community Vote: Isle of Sharighar

Poll ended at 01 Jul 2011, 01:11

6%
No votes
6%
6%
6%
29%
29%
12%
No votes
6%

Total votes: 17

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: [RELEASED] Leo's Contest map - Isle of Sharighar

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011, 11:01

It will be a skyisland map, with a heavy skycity theme. As a developing version I will be using 225 and perhaps 227 too, given that I convert it back in and use 225 editor later for some fine tuning.
As for the plot, I will make up something as I go, but it will be probably a plot that you end up on the sky island and have to recover some artifact or something, just classic stuff.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: Leo's Contest map - Isle of Sharighar

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011, 11:08

Despite the uninspiring description of what is to be made, I actually look forward to this. The sky island theme never gets old for me and I still enjoy the classic premise with it's resulting romp.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011, 12:28

Some of Unreal's levels had no particular place in the story, you just passed through them taking in the atmosphere and killing Skaarj/Krall/Rabbits.
This map could be interesting.

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 28 May 2011, 09:14

UPDATES FROM LEO (BeyondUnreal thread, direct quote)

Update 05-01-2011:

IOShots.rar

Took some screenshots, this is pretty much all there is to the map now, heavily unfinished, I know.

Update 05-05-2011:

Just started working on a new cavern. The caverns will probably take me most of time, because I have to move vertices all around and stuff. It's rather time consuming, but I won't spend too much time on that, that cave outline is basically done as a single brush, only I will have to add additional rocks around and stalactites.

Update 05-23-2011:

Time for cutting room floor:

This waterfall won't make it in final version, because it causes some BSP bugs and ****. I will make another one, but it was pain to align this one though. Well, bye bye waterfall!

Update 05-28-2011:

Basically, this is last part of the caves/abandoned mines section, I had staircase here before but it didn't fit much, the room isn't yet complete but I made a lift there instead and openable broken rusty roof.

This is what happens if you ride lift with the closed roof, it crushes you. :lol:

I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011, 09:28

Isle of Sharighar Demo

Quote from Leo:

Consider this finished, unless the contest time or submission time is gonna be extended. I called it demo, because I had to cut some stuff that I wouldn't wrap up etc. It was supposed to be larger, there is one of the unfinished rooms the first room I started to work on, inside the second island, if you want to use ghost to take a look, also some easter eggs there.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011, 11:59

Nice mix of themes and use of some mine textures that I hardly remember existed. :)
[spoiler]Is there an end to this level? I'm in the chapel (killed the Skaarj, got the Rifle).[/spoiler]

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011, 16:13

just finished this
[spoiler]the cave section looked pretty good, and that elevator crushed me the first time :lol:
nice translator messages there, had a bit of trouble with the stairs in the church/temple though[/spoiler]

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011, 12:11

I liked the skybox and the initial outdoor impressions. The cave sequence was pretty cool too

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 21:16

[spoiler]This level gave me the vibe an early Unreal custom map in a good way. The architecture is mostly simple (and the terrain varies too much between very bumpy and very flat) and the lighting isn't that great, but it has a cool sense of experimentation and a certain feeling of not being sure what's coming up next. I also liked the curvy stair things in the church, even if they're really hard to climb (good thing there's a lift). The gameplay worked too with the small fights throughout and Titan arena with various options given by the presence of jump-boots, although I ended up just avoiding it. The ending came a bit suddenly though.[/spoiler]
Formerly Mman

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 01:29

[spoiler]There was a titan?[/spoiler]

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 02:07

TheIronKnuckle wrote:[spoiler]There was a titan?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Only on Unreal difficulty.[/spoiler]
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 12:17

Played on Medium and then on Unreal (wanted to see the Titan).

It's a decent map but there's no awe. The ledge to get the ammo for the stinger is a pain, luckily it's in the beginning of the level so there's not much to redo when luck fails you.
The roof which has to be opened before trying the lift was a nice touch. The titan area is a bit too empty and resistance inside and outside the building isn't really up to today's gameplay standards. Those spiral stairs were impossible to climb for me. I dind't see the point of the breaking glass.
Overall though the major fault in this map is gameplay, there was just too little to do for such a large area. But, I do see potential in this (it is after all a demo).
It's not a contest winner and to be fair, I was expecting a bit more from LEO (I don't really know why because I'm not familiar with his work).

Only 2 more maps to test (ibyn_gold and usp_turbo), hopefully today.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 13:22

The gameplay is the best point about this map. It's fun and extremely balanced, even without the DP, which is a great achievement.
I only played the [U] version, which is the same for every other contest level.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 22:41

UBerserker wrote:The gameplay is the best point about this map. It's fun and extremely balanced, even without the DP, which is a great achievement.

We usually have totally different ideas about gameplay. \o/

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 09:22

So far a 5 is about right even with all th anti LEO hype.

For one thing, all I had to do was wait to let krall and skaar fight while hiding behind bulding on top.
but the level does have a good feeling of being in suspense.

The skaar went behibd the rock cave, then nailed hin no prob.

still playing, and if you really wanna bitch out sana. lol, I need more time to play all these maps in 7 days, do I look like like god , lololo.

I pushed that button, not sure what to do now, I don't see any lifts yet, like skytowns.

And LEO I catch your drift, just leave it at home and everyone will love you.You did a lot so far as I played, but some frustrating things.
I wanted to get out of water first jump, very pissed for a moving SP mappage.
It should have an easy path to get out. aaaaaarg. so I had to kill myself.
Just ban everyone

Next