A random sentence for a random mind.

[RELEASED] Forest Run, by Legendslayer222

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Community Vote: Forest Run

Poll ended at 01 Jul 2011, 01:14

6%
No votes
6%
29%
29%
29%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 17

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Forest Run, by Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011, 15:52

TheIronKnuckle wrote:i liked the theme, but imo more shrubbery is still required.

Where abouts were you thinking? The unreachable area, or in the playable area? Or both?! :o

Random fact: Near the end of the level I was going to have a random plant sitting to the side which had a superhealth hidden behind it (or a normal health pack on harder difficulties) but I realized the player already had way too much armour and stuff to need that as well just to fight one Warlord so I deleted it. Looking back I should have at least kept the plant to make things look a bit more interesting.

User avatar Sinistral
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011, 16:38

Good entry, well done Legendslayer222, enjoyed the openness of the level and the trees beyond the cliffwalls make the level seem much larger than it actually is. Maybe I'm just rubbish at the game though but I started on default difficulty and found it quite struggle to defeat the first four enemies with the little ammo I had. The Warlord at the end took me by surprise, but it's too easy just to run past him and finish the map without killing him. maybe set the end teleporter to disabled until he dies?

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011, 18:36

Thanks for the comments everyone. :D
Sinistral wrote:Maybe I'm just rubbish at the game though but I started on default difficulty and found it quite struggle to defeat the first four enemies with the little ammo I had. The Warlord at the end took me by surprise, but it's too easy just to run past him and finish the map without killing him. maybe set the end teleporter to disabled until he dies?

I do have a habit of putting items like ammo off the beaten path to make players explore (but I have no problems because I made the map and know where stuff is). Did you find things like [spoiler]the vest behind the lodge and the asmd core behind the fountain?[/spoiler] Or was there just not enough stuff in total?

And I know that boss fight isn't a great setup, but I was rushing towards the deadline (which was extended afterwards anyway :shy: ) and quickly set that fight up, that's also why the area before the escape pod is so empty.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 20:21

[spoiler]A well executed small map. The setting is nicely original and fresh in a way that gets around the simple visuals and lighting (although I found that mound in the middle of nowhere towards the end kind of random). There isn't much ammo but it works here as the level is short anyway. I think there could have been a couple more health packs though, as I had to fight the boss with about thirty-seven health left (although the arena was open enough to make it not too hard).[/spoiler]
Formerly Mman

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 20:50

Mman wrote:[spoiler]A well executed small map. The setting is nicely original and fresh in a way that gets around the simple visuals and lighting (although I found that mound in the middle of nowhere towards the end kind of random). There isn't much ammo but it works here as the level is short anyway. I think there could have been a couple more health packs though, as I had to fight the boss with about thirty-seven health left (although the arena was open enough to make it not too hard).[/spoiler]

[spoiler]You mean the mound the minigun is on? Yeah, that is kind of random (only grass in the level), but I wanted to make the weapon's location stand out a bit more.[/spoiler]

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 01:28

Legendslayer222 wrote:
TheIronKnuckle wrote:i liked the theme, but imo more shrubbery is still required.

Where abouts were you thinking? The unreachable area, or in the playable area? Or both?! :o

Ahh both for sure :P I could feel the atmosphere, but it still fell short of making me think "forest". a few more trees and leaves would have helped (along with a lot more time for you to add them in :P)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 04:22

I appreciated the unique setting of the map, definitely enjoyable.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 13:11

LS222, you got the gameplay balance almost just right with this one. And the setting is convincing ... to just past the tents. The open area is a bit too unfurnished but gameplay remains solid (I played on Medium and on Hard and I think most players will find a setting sufficiently easy or challenging). I wouldn't mind a fly or some pupae between the tents (spawning only after entering the open area) to make retreating at least a bit hazardous.
As somebody else mentioned already the end shouldn't be reachable before killing the final boss. BUT: what I really liked was the surprise when the final boss arrived (thinking that the level had finished). So, my suggestion, leave the end reachable but not active, leave the player confused so that that final boss can surprise him and only activate the end when he's dead.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 22:16

Soooo LS222, I'm giving you bronze, but you have to share it with DOTL. Your gameplay gave the extra push needed.
Sincere congrats on your development in the last year.

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011, 00:03

salsaSkaarj wrote:Soooo LS222, I'm giving you bronze, but you have to share it with DOTL. Your gameplay gave the extra push needed.
Sincere congrats on your development in the last year.

Thanks!! :D
I'm happy that it turned out so well with such a short time spent with enemy placement. I just tried to put the enemies in places where they wouldn't be easily spotted so the player had to keep there eyes peeled, and for being a simple technique, it does this short map a favour. 8)

Previous