This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[usp] 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest Results now live

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [usp] 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest Results now

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 20:24

UBerserker wrote:Since there are all these 10 for TIK's map I better release G59 then.

You bet! :D :tup:

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 23:41

Shivaxi wrote:And massive congrats to Turbo. Though I rated TIK's map higher and hoped it would win, I understand why not everyone rated it what me and Jet did. TIK actually used the unreal engine for something other than a unreal styled map for once...and even though he said it wasn't complete...it still felt complete as an experience to go through. As Jet said, it was like reading a really good book that took your mind on a trip. As with any book, you must really get into and feel it to enjoy it. I went into TIK's map with an open mind and didn't expect anything from it, and I was greatly rewarded with the experience I went through. Anything else that can be said is in mine and Jet's review
I hate books. I hate the translator. For me words can't transport any feelings or atmosphere. The opposite: sounds and pictures. I remember coming out of the caves in Nali Chronicles hearing that wonderful music and seeing such a prospering Nali village (or even town?) I have never seen before. EPIC.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011, 00:27

integration wrote:I hate books. I hate the translator. For me words can't transport any feelings or atmosphere.

Wow, that is REALLY unfortunate. You're missing out on some of the greatest expression humanity has to offer. But, well, to each their own!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011, 00:37

Seriously, is there a way to tell the story without the translator messages? I mean, yeah, you have a Readme in the ZIP file which probably explains something, and scripted events. You wouldn't understand nothing though.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011, 00:43

UBerserker wrote:Seriously, is there a way to tell the story without the translator messages? I mean, yeah, you have a Readme in the ZIP file which probably explains something, and scripted events. You wouldn't understand nothing though.

You can tell a very good story without words. It's been done before. You just have to think really creatively and implement everything really well. It's not easy, of course, but it's doable.

But yeah, I couldn't imagine reading, say, Homestuck without words. While it has a ton of great art, flash animations, and music, it's the character interactions that really make it amazing.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011, 07:49

random aside: I was expecting one of the pictures for my map on the results page to be a black rectangle :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011, 11:05

TheIronKnuckle wrote:random aside: I was expecting one of the pictures for my map on the results page to be a black rectangle :P

So was I, that would have been hilarious. :P

Waffnuffly wrote:You can tell a very good story without words. It's been done before. You just have to think really creatively and implement everything really well. It's not easy, of course, but it's doable.

Has it been done in any Unreal maps/custom maps?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011, 14:11

I don't even remember if it happened in Unreal, but in other games, yes. Silent Hill 2 is the first thing which comes to mind. It got letters, but mostly for puzzles and side stuff, but the core was all about symbolism and every strange thing you see - even the absence of water in a lake.

The art of intelligent foreshadowing is splendid.
ImageImage

Previous