ividyon will never get this done, will he.

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 v2.1

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [ut] EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 v2.1 - New Video! Again! [12-29-11]

Post Posted: 07 May 2012, 01:05

Something I just thought of. Do you get infected EVERY time you get hit by one of these? Or are there odds to it? Maybe that would add some suspense or randomness to the way people fight these guys.

Perhaps one out of every three or five EXU health vials/med box's cures infection entirely?

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: [ut] EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 v2.1 - New Video! Again! [12-29-11]

Post Posted: 07 May 2012, 01:23

Personally I like the whole "inevitable infection" idea. I think the shield belt should work as a containment device: If you get infected you can pick up a shield belt to "delay the inevitable". The moment the shield belt armour gets blown away the 15 second timer starts ticking again. While you have the shield belt there's nothing to worry about however.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar jaypeezy

Post Posted: 07 May 2012, 03:54

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Personally I like the whole "inevitable infection" idea. I think the shield belt should work as a containment device: If you get infected you can pick up a shield belt to "delay the inevitable". The moment the shield belt armour gets blown away the 15 second timer starts ticking again. While you have the shield belt there's nothing to worry about however.

Screw what I said about the infection probability, this is a cool idea!

To add to this, somehow: Maybe a general rule for non-shieldbelt-based armors. Like, wearing such armor alters the odds of IMMEDIATE infection:

wearing boots: hit = contained infection; hit more than one times = infection countdown starts
wearing knee-pads: hit = contained infection; hit more than two times = countdown starts
wearing helm: hit = contained infection; hit more than three times = countdown starts
wearing body armor: hit = contained infection; hit more than four times = countdown starts

Something else I just considered - you said that you planned on making shock or energy-based creatures resistant to infection. So somehow, making it more likely shock/energy pawns drop helms and armor that reflect their damage type; one simply has to pick up the discarded armor and there! Resistant to infection! Doesn't sound TOO easy because you need to be alert for said monsters if you plan to be infection-resistant for the duration of the match; nor too stupid because it honors the resistance rules, just applying them to bots/players now.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 07 May 2012, 05:17

These are good ideas. Right now, having ANY kind of shieldbelt means you are 100% immune to infection; it isn't just contained, it is rejected. Nothing else does this; one successful melee hit and you are infected.

The thing is, if I make it too easy for different armor types to protect you, then the infections are too difficult to spread and too easy to put down. They will always infect a ScriptedPawn on the first hit if it is an infectable pawn in the first place, but never infect the ones that are resistant. I don't have any degrees of resistance right now other than on and off. Though keep in mind such nuance would barely be visible in MP games anyway since you die, on average, every 15-20 seconds or less. At least with how MY games go ;) Also: it wouldn't make sense for boots or thigh pads or helms to protect you, since Brussalids are based on Chryssalids, which I'm pretty sure infected via the mouth or punching a hole in your chest :X

I may experiment with infection chances and give the later-generation spawns lower chances (i.e. the weaker ones) but the primordial infectors that START the whole shitstorm have a very high if not 100% chance of infecting their target (assuming it is unshielded and a valid target).

Also, Shock pawns aren't immune to infection; Brussalids are just extremely vulnerable to the "jolted" damage type (i.e. Shock Rifle projectiles and stuff). They take 100x the normal damage. This means 300,000 damage from a single Shock Commando slice (the weakest of its three attacks). Since the maximum health is like 12k, and since Shock Commandos are robotic enemies that can't be infected, you can see how a single one of those things will utterly massacre even the largest horde of Brussalids :P

Also: Ultra Chargers are hilarious to watch scattering huge groups of them. I dunno if those were added before Demo 4, but they're basically Psycho Chargers which are orange and have an area-blast whack instead of a normal one, and it is crazy.

User avatar jaypeezy

Post Posted: 07 May 2012, 05:32

Waffnuffly wrote:Also: Ultra Chargers are hilarious to watch scattering huge groups of them. I dunno if those were added before Demo 4, but they're basically Psycho Chargers which are orange and have an area-blast whack instead of a normal one, and it is crazy.

Yes. I've seen these crazy jerks. Watching them blow others to smithereens is certainly good for a laugh. :lol:

[spoiler]Until you run into one of them and end up running for dear life... :shock:[/spoiler]

Maxer 64

Post Posted: 07 May 2012, 23:40

I got a question, what if you are killed while infected. Does that spawn a Brussalid faster (aka, on death.) or does that stop a Brussalid from spawning?
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

Post Posted: 07 May 2012, 23:42

Dying early still spawns one. Whether you die or the 15 seconds are up, either way, a new Brussalid is gonna pop out once you get infected.

Maxer 64

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 05:12

Hey Waff, Will the Freezer ever return to the campaine or will it still be a MP only weapon? If it is returning, Will it use the new model or the blue stinger (as seen in the outdated Weapons montoge video.)?

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 16:00

Nope, it was fully replaced by the Contact Beam (now known as the Tachyon Driver)

Post Posted: 24 May 2012, 04:30

The evolution of Frostclaw, from Unreal to present:

Original
Image Image Image Image

As of Demo 4
Image Image Image Image

Current
Image Image Image Image

Maxer 64

Post Posted: 24 May 2012, 06:35

Waffnuffly wrote:The evolution of Frostclaw, from Unreal to present:

Original
Image Image Image Image

As of Demo 4
Image Image Image Image

Current
Image Image Image Image

Man, I am now in heaven! Or Hell...? Hellven? What ever it is, I love the new look! :D

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 24 May 2012, 10:06

Damn, that's actually quite a bit of architectural revamp, not just re-texturing and lighting. Nice work! I especially like the changes to the 2nd "current" shot.

(needs more tiny red floor-level DavidM lights, though!)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012, 06:46

I have upgraded the Biohazard Flare. FINALLY.

Image Image Image Image Image

Oh man. What a major improvement! Outdoors, the gas gets all over the place and kills EVERYTHING (and yes, it does a mixture of shit and corroded damage as you can see by the smoke colors, so Shit or Bio pawns will either heal or take damage depending on how near they are to the their respective types). Well, except for extremely-high-HP targets. But indoors? It will even fuck those up because the gas gets so concentrated. It has a hard time spreading around through hallways and stuff so far, but once I work out the physics a bit better, it should be pretty awesome basically everywhere.

The fog of doom lasts for a good 30 seconds or so, and usually remains slightly more concentrated near the epicenter. This thing wipes the floor with any low-HP horde you can throw at it. :)

User avatar Gizzy

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012, 15:51

Waffnuffly wrote:The evolution of Frostclaw, from Unreal to present:

Original
Image Image Image Image

As of Demo 4
Image Image Image Image

Current
Image Image Image Image

richrig is probably the only texture package I dont't get tired of seeing haha

I was actually quite surprised with the jump in quality from Demo4 to now, very nice work (y)
Is there some sort of "todo" list before exu2 is finished? NotAskingForAReleaseDate.jpg

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012, 16:04

Gizzy wrote:I was actually quite surprised with the jump in quality from Demo4 to now, very nice work (y)
Is there some sort of "todo" list before exu2 is finished? NotAskingForAReleaseDate.jpg

Yeah. EXU Notes.txt is my running compilation of issues and bugs. Every time I identify a bug or problem or thing I need to do, I create a new line and note it, and when I fix/complete something, I mark it off. That file's been around since before Demo 4 and has nearly 1000 "issue" lines in it, and that's not including all the little bugs I've fixed here and there that didn't warrant a note (could be another couple thousand of those, if not more). I have lots more unhandled issues that I haven't even written down yet because they're further-down-the-road things.

So, yes, I have a to-do list, but it's very long and complex and divided into categories, and... yeah. When I release the final, I'll include the list, and people will be able to see just what it takes to stay organized with a mod of this size :P

Previous Next