Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

think I'm gonna install Unreal 2 again

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Maxer 64
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: think I'm gonna install Unreal 2 again

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012, 17:50

gopostal wrote:Fondest memories of Unreal 2:

Ah! There it goes....Wait!? All that loading for a cutscene? ARGH!!!

I hate that stupid long loading. It drives me crazy.
EDIT: Crap. Double post. Can someone delete this post?
Last edited by Maxer 64 on 25 Jul 2012, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012, 05:00

Beg pardon?

I never had that lengthy loading problem. All happened pretty quick on my system.

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012, 18:44

evilgrins wrote:Beg pardon?

I never had that lengthy loading problem. All happened pretty quick on my system.

Hold on, i'm loading your post. alright. initializing it..

precaching...

ok.

Weird. you never had that problem? Even on this computer loading it takes a little while; long enough to notice the multitude of "sit down and shut up" loading screens. lol

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012, 21:52

Well, it said it was loading but it usually only took maybe 5 seconds tops.

User avatar ElectricIce

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012, 17:32

I don't believe I had any problems with loading ever when I played it, but that was like... Ages ago, Dunno if I ever will touch that game again. The lack of multiplayer coop killed it for me.

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012, 04:15

Zombiehunter wrote:I don't believe I had any problems with loading ever when I played it, but that was like... Ages ago, Dunno if I ever will touch that game again. The lack of multiplayer coop killed it for me.

I kinda had multiplayer, if only by using bots.

I'd summon in a squad of Marines to fight with me.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012, 05:10

To be fair...back when I first bought Unreal 2...the loading was a b#tch. Now-a-days though on my much more modern PC it's not so bad. I actually really liked Unreal 2...this being because back then i wasnt into the fan base as much and had no idea it had nothign to do with the original so it wasnt as much of a let down to me as some :P It does suck now though knowing that...but i still like it as a game in itself. as a sequel to unreal though its pretty horrible.

p.s. its funny i see this thread now because i literally JUST got my unreal 2 working again after extensive research and screwing around with registry keys and old directmusic dll files to get the music to play properly in game when running unreal 2 under windows 7. god what a nightmare. but hey finally works and im happy :3
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012, 17:06

As far as sequels that aren't very similar to their predecessors go, I like Unreal 2 more than UT2003/4. Unreal 2 has some great creature/weapon designs, but I don't think they would fit on Na Pali. At least it didn't replace all of the awesome stuff from the originals like UT's sequels did.

evilgrins wrote:I kinda had multiplayer, if only by using bots.

I'd summon in a squad of Marines to fight with me.

Only the Xbox version had co-op. I'm trying to get it to work for the PC version, but I can't figure out how to make it work even though I managed to add the relevant code.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012, 18:41

Seriously I wish some of you would tinker around with this stuff and see just how cool,easy and powerful it is to control the pawns.
I put this on another thread, but , if you have a text editor open in the background, and just save over the your named script, I don't even think you need to rebuild the map if I remember correctly.

In Unreal2 you could make some very cool interaction for singleplayer levels.
These are all the files I could find, and I changed the files to pdf for easy read.

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... KDJZvdCz7g

Also I did nothing to make it work in windows 7, I also managed to get the patch on there, I think i had to install XMP to get the patch or new version for the stock game. since the patch would not install.
Just ban everyone

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012, 19:46

My old thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1777&hilit=unreal2

I screwed up the photobucket picts, so I will just add two here, look at all the pawns you have to pick from.

Just ban everyone

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012, 22:08

Say what you will about the U2. the Skaarj were doubly impressive to me because they didn't just dodge when you shot at them...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuEKc1vrLw
...they could actually block the bullets with their claws!

Just to be gratuitous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc0XyDlk158

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012, 03:31

I didn't play through this all the way yet, seems it needs more enemies in the first levels.
But it is pretty cool if you haven't tried it.

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... XTRtbhI3NU
Just ban everyone

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012, 23:05

I think I am going to fuss around and try to make ny lev falls for U2.I really want to use a terrain for the whole thing but that might be the wrong approach.So I think what i will do is make it at least twice as big for a longer stretched out game-play, and hard to win game play.

i might copy all the brushes over, then get it all put together and scale the map up double, and use that as a template to add some various terrains and foliage and deco with tons of pawns all over the place.(use all the pawns)
Too bad people are going for 227 when we already have a much better medium to work with, even though the game has been disregarded so much.

So what ! the game sucked, it is superior to UT for making SP maps.Don't know if I dare ask for someone to collaborate and take a few months and try and make just this one map.

By the way things work I could have it to team up with an enemy pawn for a stretch then have it turn on you via a trigger after it opens a door or something.So many ideas, and can see it done without too much trouble and no new code.

Oh and a nice sky.
Just ban everyone

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 14:10

Maybe you should go for UT3? Yea, I know UT3 doesn't have SP actors and scripts, but engines are pretty much similar and code used from Unreal 2 should work in UT3, and UT3 engine is so much superior to the one from Unreal 2...

Nah, we go for Unreal 227 not because of its engine, but because of its feel. Unreal '99 is... THE Unreal... Others are just Unreals. We are fans of this particular game.

If someone succeeds in creating the same gameplay and atmosphere and feel in Unreal 2 or Unreal 3 engine... Well, I'd bow my head.
The Legasy exteriors have something in them, an element which is very similar to the one from Unreal '99 despite the incredible detail. As it comes to interiors, well, it has too much of UT3 style for me.

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 21:03

AlCapowned wrote:Only the Xbox version had co-op. I'm trying to get it to work for the PC version, but I can't figure out how to make it work even though I managed to add the relevant code.

By co-op do you mean summoned in bots? Cuz the standard normal marines automatically work with you, though they don't take commands. Anything that threatens you they just go after it.

Same as when you toss in random Skaarj.
The fact that bald guy turned out to be evil at the very end of the game made this moment especially ideal.

Previous Next