Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Is it a bad thing that class inheritance does not work?

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Is it a bad thing that class inheritance does not work?

Post Posted: 18 May 2013, 03:53

Forking off of my voicepack dilemma... The WHOLE problem behind that one was the fact the classes weren't even inheriting their parent's functions.

I had to copypaste from the parent (in this case ChallengeVoicePack) and put it in the child to get it to work.

Has this EVER been encountered before!? How can this even happen, seriously how!? This is the first time I encountered this!
“I am the dragon without a name...”

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: Is it a bad thing that class inheritance does not work?

Post Posted: 18 May 2013, 04:23

When you created your new class (assuming you did it through the editor) did you remember to compile it?

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 18 May 2013, 05:11

Yes. I even just compiled it with the function removed and it broke again.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 18 May 2013, 09:50

You have to call Super.FunctionName(Parameters); in order to inherit a function if you make any changes to it or declare it at all in UScript. You can call Super(ParentClassOfParentClass).Function() as well, or any other higher-level class, if you want to inherit some stuff but not everything. Or you can just overwrite the entire function and not call Super, but you need to be sure everything that's necessary is actually there.

If you do not declare the function (i.e. your class is just blank), all parent functions will be inherited automatically. If this wasn't happening, you did something wrong or the super class's functions were somehow set up to not work in subclasses (very unlikely as this would take a lot of deliberate effort to do for no real benefit).

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 18 May 2013, 12:50

Epic Logic.

Given how badly custom voice packs work online (text doesn't show up), I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that it was either a deliberate act or an oversight.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 20 May 2013, 00:43

Obviously something is amiss with either my install of UT99, or some specific timestamp in 2013 decided to break everything.

Either way I'm only able to get my voicepacks to work is to completely copy that client init function... it still baffles me that my Caleb voice pack worked without any function declarations and only default property changes.