ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Making Textures Stay when Importing Maps across Platforms

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Making Textures Stay when Importing Maps across Platforms

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013, 00:04

Anyone know how to make texture information stay when importing a map across editors? For instance, I'm trying to import a map from UED 2.1/227 to UT (plain UEd 2.0). Everything seems to work fine, except it's all in the default bubble texture.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: Making Textures Stay when Importing Maps across Platforms

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013, 00:13

iirc just make sure you have the textures loaded before you import the geometry.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013, 00:38

Yeah, the texture packs just need to be loaded in the editor first. Make a list or a screenshot of the original map's texture list and then open all of the packages.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013, 01:00

Or just go the lazy route and open every texture package in UED first

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013, 01:36

haha that sounds like it'd be so much more painful (unless there's a "batch open" option that I've missed)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013, 01:40

Thanks, worked for the most part. What about mylevel textures, such as those for using highres shadows? I tried making another mylevel package and importing them into it but that didn't seem to work at all.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013, 14:28

Doublez-Down wrote:Thanks, worked for the most part. What about mylevel textures, such as those for using highres shadows? I tried making another mylevel package and importing them into it but that didn't seem to work at all.

It should work if you just open the original map, save the MyLevel textures as actual "MyLevel" package, then move that over to the other platform and load it along with the others, import+save the map and then remove the package.

Either that or you reimport every MyLevel texture by hand before importing the map :D

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013, 14:39

TheIronKnuckle wrote:haha that sounds like it'd be so much more painful (unless there's a "batch open" option that I've missed)

Shift + select or just click and drag select all of them :I

Or Ctrl+A

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013, 18:35

Thats odd because I took a 227 map and the textures are all screwed up looking in UT, like scanlines, colors, garbage, messed up format.
Just ban everyone

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013, 00:03

Meh not sure it's worth all the hassle. I mean everyone should have 227 anyway right? Any need to port it over to UT?

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013, 01:01

redeye wrote:Thats odd because I took a 227 map and the textures are all screwed up looking in UT, like scanlines, colors, garbage, messed up format.
227 has support for formats that UT doesn't (RGBA 32 Bit textures, DXT compression, etc not just pcx). Those textures wouldn't and cannot be displayed correctly in UT.
Doublez-Down wrote:Meh not sure it's worth all the hassle. I mean everyone should have 227 anyway right? Any need to port it over to UT?
For some people it would be another case of 227 ruining their life, but for most people I don't believe it is an issue if there is no UT version.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013, 16:37

Doublez-Down wrote:Any need to port it over to UT?

Unpopular opinion: Don't do it! More 227-exclusive quality work (such as yours) would make more people install/use 227, which, in the end, is better for everybody. :D

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013, 18:40

ividyon wrote:
Doublez-Down wrote:Any need to port it over to UT?

Unpopular opinion: Don't do it! More 227-exclusive quality work (such as yours) would make more people install/use 227, which, in the end, is better for everybody. :D

right
227 a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j.................................................. :rolleyes:

UT with oldskool has been rock solid for years (and still is) for SP or multiplayer.

I guess the only main thing that I notice from 227's is they doubled the translator font.

Like the seeing though sheet problem, I mean, how could they break that, I am not convinced yet.
Just ban everyone

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013, 01:43

Thing I realised is that 227 isn't trying to "beat" UT or oldskool. It's just trying to improve unreal. At that it succeeds enormously, and at the point where it can run botpack and oldskool, it pretty much encapsulates 95% of what UT has to offer anyway.
I used to be opposed to 227 because I had bad experiences with it, buggering up my game and whatnot. But I only gave it 5 minutes before uninstalling it and having a bitch on the forums (There are still things which piss me off, like uwindows by default. And "oldunreal edition"? seriously?).

In the end I was just nitpicking and being stubborn.

The only legitimate reason I have for not going to 227 for my single player adventures is that last time I checked it forces mouse acceleration OS-wide every time I play. If I can't aim in a shooter then it's an actual detraction from the fun. (That being said I think this has been fixed since 227h or 227i)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013, 07:38

I been using the Unreal Gold with 227i, think I found bob's server. But seen dots server, they have versions 224 225 and everything worked on both, in 227i online.

I do see things different, might be the server settings, but, like things seem more floaty like the sniper shells while you shoot. They fall wierd, and other things that act different than UT.
All in all it's getting close to being usable now, instead of oldskool, Also it looks like All Rights Reserved server needs to hook up to a redirect server.

Now for the next trick, getting monsterhunt to work.
Just ban everyone

Next