Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

A dark shadow falls

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: A dark shadow falls

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013, 22:57

I've got this annoying inexplicable dark patch in my map. These crop up quite a lot for me, especially in larger exterior maps, but usually a rebuild seems to remove them. This one won't budge and I've tried moving and adding lights, moving and deleting brushes and changing various texture properties. I would assume blowing up that part of the map and recreating it might fix things, but I hope it doesn't come to that!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: A dark shadow falls

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013, 02:00

Is it the part behind the mover you want lit? If so, set the mover WorldRaytraceKey to 1 so it will light it at the end of its path instead of the start, or use any other key if there are more. Failing that, it's probably lightmap bugginess (especially if it moves around each rebuild) from having a lot of large-radius lights overlapping somewhere in the map, but usually that doesn't kick in until you have a shitload of them.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013, 13:14

Bug Horse wrote:Is it the part behind the mover you want lit? If so, set the mover WorldRaytraceKey to 1 so it will light it at the end of its path instead of the start, or use any other key if there are more. Failing that, it's probably lightmap bugginess (especially if it moves around each rebuild) from having a lot of large-radius lights overlapping somewhere in the map, but usually that doesn't kick in until you have a shitload of them.

It's the wall behind the door and the floor in front. Setting the WorldRaytraceKey to 1 fixed it. \o/ For science's sake, I also tried deleting all the lights in the level and just adding 1 above the affected area and not even that worked. Strange bug! The door lost its lighting for acting like it was under the floor but making it a DynamicLightMover fixed that (I hear this feature can get laggy, but I guess that's only when used excessively).

Thanks for your help!

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013, 03:59

Here is the deal.

I made some breaking glass windows, slanted 45 degrees
Last edited by redeye on 25 Oct 2013, 19:00, edited 4 times in total.
Just ban everyone

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013, 18:49

redeye wrote:Here is the deal.

I made some breaking glass windows, slanted 45 degrees on each side of a hall way that I wanted to bust as they blow out against the opposite wall. It took more than 2 frames to make it rotate and move till smash time.

But the lighting of the mover and the BSP was never right.
So, what I did was , after the initial blowout, (frame 5 or 6) I made a really bright box another subtract brush outside of the map just below. And made my end one time mover , end inside a box of my lighting choice, to show up like I wanted before being busted. DM-Tankcleaner

So I got my highly lit glass mover by setting the lighting to keyframe 6 for the mover. Then just set the world frame so it looks ok depending on your door, glass or style opening.

Head asplodes. :?
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013, 04:39

Doublez-Down wrote:
redeye wrote:Here is the deal.

Head asplodes. :?

read it
Just ban everyone