Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Is my copy of Deus Ex bad?

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Is my copy of Deus Ex bad?

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013, 13:56

I get this the moment I start playing LibertyIsland, and I can get it anywhere else without warning. Only way to get around this is to disable dynamic lights.

Casey's copy does not exhibit this bug, and neither does anyone else's. My copy came OEM with a Soundblaster Audigy card, I don't have the cash to get the steam or GOG versions. The disc is pretty scratched up and it's nearly impossible to install off CD properly anymore.

Would it be wrong if I can ask for someone with a retail copy or GOG version to give me the .DLL files? Or even just the .EXE? I don't know what is causing this problem but it's boring to have to play Deus Ex with the lighting turned off...

This NEVER EVER happens in Unreal, nor Unreal Tournament... In addition to this crash, the coronas will flicker maddenly when I move around the level.
“I am the dragon without a name...”

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Is my copy of Deus Ex bad?

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 02:13

Yes, it is wrong. OEM copy is actually a demo from what I remember and it has a strange build number. More recent than 1002f and earlier than the latest build. Not to mention you'll not be able to finish the game. Just get another version. ;)
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 08:24

My OEM copy has all of the maps, it says "GOTY" on it as well. But the strangest thing about is, until I installed Shifter I get no music during mission 8 in NYC.

There's also crashing involved with some voice acting clips being 128 kbps Stereo instead of 48 kbps Mono... not sure if replacing the MP3's themselves will cause severe errors with the conversation system or not though.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 13:11

Since you own a legal copy of the game, I believe it would be the right course to just torrent a working copy off thepiratebay or whatever, as that is, in fact, the 'proper' way to use game torrents. :P Your save files would probably still work if you copy them over.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013, 21:31

I got a hold of Casey's copy but haven't had the time to investigate this further as I've just retorted to playing through Deus Ex with the lighting turned off for the time being.

I'm still stumped as to why this plagues me, if any of the .DLL files or anything critical was corrupt how the hell is the game even running at all?