Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

22/04/2008 - "Titanian Temple" by EZkeel

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008, 11:05

Hellscrag wrote:Legacy weapons may not be technically "useless" (i.e. you can achieve kills with them), but they are clunky and awful. Deeply unappetising and generating very little fun to use.

It'll look like I'm rapidly changing my mind but... well, it's not THAT bad. I'd say SmartDisk has one of the best custom models I've seen in Unreal (despite annoying idle animation) and it's extremally funny to use, also, sticky bombs are quite funny (but still tricky to use due to huge blast radius).
On the other hand weapons like minigun or triple shotgun are nearly useless due to reload/deploying speed.
Another funny thing is that you don't have "proper" melee/unlimited weapon until you get to Trixia somewhere around the middle parts of the game.

But that wasn't about Invasion....

I wonder what's your weapon of choice against Titans? I never found anything satisfying in the game, I usually unload all DP charges onto them and then switch to Eightball or Flak, but I consider that as a waste of ammo. RazorJack? GesBioRifle? Those are quite powerfull but hard to use, even against such big and slow target (I always got problems aiming at non-human size creatures, I fail to estimate the distance).
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008, 12:05

The fact about Legacy weapons being completely weird for the use is true.

I confess that I used a lot the Smart Disk and the Skaarj Claw, quite always. But it's just like saying that I use the Dispersion Pistol in any normal Unreal game. Unlimited ammo and good power. I dislike wasting ammo for my other guns, unless I find the same amount of ammo in the same map I'm playing.
I don't know what forces me to play in this way... or I love too much seeing my ammo count to max, or the monsters aren't real threats, or it's just my mind.

The Legacy Chaingun is an incredible weapon, you can defeat bosses and Moon Cyborgs in seconds. Flamethrower Skorcher has a fly ability and also does a massive amount of damage. The Healing Orb/Smart Disk/Skaarj Claw speaks for itself. The Frag Cannon is good against slow enemies. Railgun is anti-Skaarj/Cyborg. Tri-Shotgun is pretty weak, but good against weak creatures like the Scorpions or Pupae. Sticky Bombs are good against Titans.
The real useless weapon is the Detonator Pack since they are really rare and rather ugly to use. But against a Titan they may work.

The Unreal weapons not only are useful, but they are easier to use. A GES BioRifle does wonders against a Titan. It's not really hard going to close to the boss, pummeling him with 25 acid globs. Those hurt.
Any weapon is good for any situation. Obviously except the Minigun, a totally useless weapon, which wastes ammo of the Automag for lesser damage.

Back to the primitives of Invasion now.
ImageImage

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008, 14:31

UBerserker wrote:Obviously except the Minigun, a totally useless weapon, which wastes ammo of the Automag for lesser damage.

Lies! the minigun is absolutely one of the most usefull weapon for close indoor fights, the alt fire makes meat of any opponent :tup:

[/derail mode] :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008, 15:35

Yeah, and your Automag ammo count will be already pretty low. Use the Flak Cannon's primary fire for close range, or the Stinger's secondary fire, and you avoid spending bullets for an excellent long-ranged pistol.

The Minigun has uses only in Multiplayer games, since Human Players (even bots, quite) don't have the same amount of health of the Unreal enemies, plus they can be slowed down. Some of the monsters like Skaarj and Warlords become even quicker for a nanosecond when they are hit by a bullet.

It should be replaced by the CARifle in single player gametypes, or just not added at all.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008, 19:04

Thanks for the playthru, MMAN! I thought you'd skipped that one bookshelf, but lateron you went thru it. How did you find out you had to shoot it??
I had forgotten about the sky... when you release the Titan, the sky turns black, which is a nice touch.. (but the field around you has still daylight :? )

I had one bug actually.. kinda funny. I started it and committed suicide (to play thru the map and make screenies.. I won't get far, tho...), I went out and left of me is that Nali, facing the tree and walking around it... :P
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008, 19:19

The lighting becomes actually a bit darker. Which is actually better, being completely in darkness would ruin the Titan fight, making it annoying. So, I'd say the lighting was modified in a good way.

I really forgot the enigmatic beginning (the brush in the sanctuary didn't look like to be destructable), the Skaarj Pod in the skybox, small Krall bolts capable of break apart a big stone wall and the Mercenaries at the end with their theme song.

Still, in a EzKeel map, nothing is worse than any kind of Christian reference.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008, 19:59

UBerserker wrote:...small Krall bolts capable of break apart a big stone wall

You know.. it didn't work for me first time... :(

UBerserker wrote:Still, in a EzKeel map, nothing is worse than any kind of Christian reference.

Was there one in this map? However, I don't care if there is a Christian reference.. If he wants to put that in there, fine with me. Besides.. there are more Christian references that are not in EZkeel's maps, but no one talks about those... EZkeel is not christian anymore btw (for the ones tht didn't know). If the Christian references bother you, just skip them, or play a different map(pack).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008, 20:06

It is ironic that EZkeel lost his faith but not entirely unexpected.

I tend to suspect that a lot of the most evangelical behaviour that I see is in fact overcompensation for doubt.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008, 20:10

There wasn't one in this map. And I still believe his Christianity was some kind of hoax from the beginning.
And no, it doesn't bother me at all.

No idea since I don't know a lot about EzKeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008, 22:40

Hellscrag wrote:I tend to suspect that a lot of the most evangelical behaviour that I see is in fact overcompensation for doubt.

Unfortunately you're right. :)
After 9/11 a lot of people went to church again as well.. a lot of people lean more towards christianity or any other form of religion when they have problems, have stuff going on their lives, etc. etc... and then after a few months, they fall back to where they were before anything happened.

We were going a bit off topic here btw.. :P

User avatar zbreaker

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008, 03:15

Yep....ot indeed...but....belief in God or a Deity is good imho if it works for ya....unfortunately organized religion tends to muck it up most times :(
Old as Dirt

User avatar StalwartUK

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008, 03:55

Not much for me to say about this level other than the fugly architecture. I don't think he ever quite overcame that weakness. I've seen screenshots of Legacy but the architecture there didn't seem much more impressive than what was shown in Invasion.

Don't get me started with the religious references.
StalwartUK

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008, 11:00

Legacy looked much more better than Invasion in every way.
ImageImage

User avatar Turboman

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008, 11:50

Well as far as the religious references in this pack, they hardly become really intrusive on the gameplay. You pass this hall with the scriptures, and most of that can be completely neglected (infact i didn't notice untill a year ago that it contained references to christianity :P )

The original Xerenia fall had a minor reference to christianity, if you found the hidden room that is.

Legacy on the other hand sort of exxagerated the religious references since now they were a major part of your quest. You had this scene where bowing in front of the cross saves you, the drowning scene where choosing Jesus saves you...

Looking at this i sort of agree with Hellscrag that Ezkeel tended to overcompensate, its also particulary noticable that this becomes more excessive in his later work.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008, 15:03

Turboman wrote:Legacy on the other hand sort of exxagerated the religious references since now they were a major part of your quest. You had this scene where bowing in front of the cross saves you, the drowning scene where choosing Jesus saves you...

At least he had SOME conceptual grandness! :P

back on topic... yes, I agree with SUK on teh architecture. Little example is the entrance to the outside spot with the pyramid and titan, you enter that area, but you see that you have to step up actually to get outside. That looks ugly.. and very n00bish. EZkeel had some nice idea's, but the technical execution of that resulted in some poor architecture.. :/

Previous Next