This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[rtnp] Unreal: Return to Na Pali Episode II: The Manhunt

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [rtnp] Unreal: Return to Na Pali Episode II: The Manhunt

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 08:01

agreed :tup:
New Snowflakes coming right up! :D
SZ

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 08:07

jaypeezy, thank you! Your offer is appreciated. Expect instructions incoming via PM ;)
Z-enzyme, not just that, I'll need the weather to be more... dynamic.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 16:58

Are these episodes going to be for the same platform? I thought episode 4 was going to use 227, but episodes 2 and 3 are marked as using rntp. Anyway, this sounds very ambitious. Good luck! :tup:

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 17:13

Platform is Unreal Gold version 227i or j, if it is released prior to the episodes ;)
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013, 19:27

That shouldercam is awesome! :tup:
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014, 21:53

Looking forward to this one. Any updates?
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014, 01:45

Proper updates will follow soon, with appropriate screenshots. For now I can tell you that work is ongoing. Slowly, but surely, we're getting there.

UTupi
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016, 22:33

Any updates on this saga (II to IV)?

What will be the exact requirements for engine and installed assets? Will 227i on top of Unreal be enough on the receiving end or do I need UT, RTNP?

You'll explain in the readme how to switch between first and third person view? (I'll prefer the former but definitely want to see the latter.)

And pardon my impatience... just hasn't been inquired in a while, so.

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017, 10:45

Yeah, there was a huge hiatus period, I'm working on restocking the team with fresh manpower and doing some damage control. Unreal 227 will ofc be enough, yes.

UTupi
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017, 15:57

Z-enzyme wrote:Snowflakes texture has to be changed IMHO

Why? If it doesn't work it's a good reason why. But if it's artistic opinion, you should explain, in fairness. Not that I wouldn't listen to you.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017, 17:14

UTupi wrote:
Z-enzyme wrote:Snowflakes texture has to be changed IMHO

Why? If it doesn't work it's a good reason why. But if it's artistic opinion, you should explain, in fairness. Not that I wouldn't listen to you.

Quoting a post from 4 years ago from an user who has left the community, all about things you can't see anymore because the screenshots are down.

Was likely basic-looking stuff that could be replaced with something better, like a better texture or using emitters altogether.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017, 19:37

Delacroix wrote:Yeah, there was a huge hiatus period, I'm working on restocking the team with fresh manpower and doing some damage control. Unreal 227 will ofc be enough, yes.

How's the restocking going?

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017, 14:36

Yeah I'm interested in this too!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 02:02

Seeing as people have been showing interest in this topic recently, I feel that some things may need to be cleared up.
I apologise in advance...

The "Unreal Episodes" as they have been concepted by Delacroix will most probably never meet the light of day for the simple fact that there is just too much work involved.

When Delacroix first asked if I would be interested in joining forces with Dozey's team, I was relieved because I thought I might finally have a chance of releasing my project with my full vision realised, and not have to try and do absolutely everything myself.

As the months went on I was to realise that Delacroix was aiming to create an incredibly complex story arc incorporating every single canonic and non-canonic event related to Unreal - including a revamp of the original Unreal itself. Eventually the 2 original projects sprouted off into somewhere around 8 or 9 different episodic releases, which this essentially 4-man team was supposed to produce.
It didn't help along the way, however, that Delacroix would also pull out additional "propaganda projects": essentially work that would supposedly get us more support and members on the team - which we needed. This included an overhaul of the huge Csejtse map pack (to be completed by yours truly).

At some point in 2015 I became disallusioned with the project after the realisation that most of the story ideas, dialogue scripts etc. were basically straight-up rips from popular culture - ranging from Pulp Fiction to Mass Effect.
In addition to this, more recently I and others have noticed that several "canned" assets aquired for recycling in the project by Delacroix, were never actually given premission to be included in the first place.

That being said,
for those who are still interested, I do still have plans for a (rather more vanilla) release of Operation: Stealth Claw.
Just... don't get your hopes up about it :P

I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologise to any people I've let down in the past few years in terms of promised help or content (Bleeder, Sat42, Mr.Prophet, Resurgence).
I believed I could do more than I did.

Here's to better days ahead :)

SZ

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 02:44

I remember way back when, hearing you guys (mostly Del's enthusiasm in forum posts and in conversation with me privately) talk about the conglomerate joining of multiple projects. I encouraged development speaking with Del, but I was worried about the ambition I was seeing because it was so darn familiar. Big ideas sound cool on message boards and make for great screenshots, but it can get overwhelming even with a team of people working it out.

I was myself in this position shortly after acquiring assets from Battle for Na Pali and integrating them into an already ambitious and plot heavy campaign. I'd warn anyone in the same boat to watch out for waves. Quite frankly, it is not surprising when this happens.

You should consider doing what I am trying to do; step back and focus small. Forget about the big budget ideas and look at what's made, what you can touch. Remember that you are making levels for Unreal and really think if it is the best springboard for trying to concoct your all encompassing labyrinthine canon (I tried to tell Del way back when that junk fiction like Mass Effect is where storytelling goes to die). You'll do better work that way, and please trust me when I say this! Make the maps! Always focus on making the maps! The rest will follow.

Take a deep breath, focus on what worked and what you can make. That's what I had to do and it took me awhile to be okay with just making ordinary levels for Unreal. The levels I've made since 2013-2014 are better than anything I've made prior.

Previous Next