Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

UnrealSP.org v2 beta is live! Feedback thread

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: UnrealSP.org v2 beta is live! Feedback thread

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 19:34

Shivaxi wrote:
ividyon wrote:If you look just a single post above, you will find that I have already noted and explained the BBCode issue. :| I do not have the time to work on USP atm.

Didn't see that, my bad. But if you don't have the time, why did we get an upgrade in the first place? =P I'm sure there's someone else here who could help with the website coding?

see quote below (13 July) : a couple of weeks haven't passed yet. Give the man some slack!!
BTW the guy who could help is probably very hard to find since he needs a) knowlegde of phpBB 3.1 which is still in RC stage PLUS b) the changes and development scheme ividyon has in mind. I have quite a bit of experience with phpBB 3.0 but I wouldn't be able to jump in just like that. From what I've read (thoroughly this time) and what I've seen, my opinion is: let ividyon continue at his own pace. The current bugs aren't forum-busting at all.

ividyon wrote:Note: Since the guy who owns the internet contract in our apartment apparently cancelled it yesterday out of the blue, I'm without internet for some time, probably a couple weeks. No progress can be made in that timespan. I'll look at getting back into development flow once I return.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 20:16

Shivaxi wrote:
ividyon wrote:If you look just a single post above, you will find that I have already noted and explained the BBCode issue. :| I do not have the time to work on USP atm.

Didn't see that, my bad. But if you don't have the time, why did we get an upgrade in the first place? =P I'm sure there's someone else here who could help with the website coding?

Because it's been 2 years in the making and I was starting to feel really guilty about that; also, I wanted to go with the anniversary as release date to give the release more of a bang. While USP v2 is heavily incomplete, at least it's out, and the unfinished aspects can be easily accessed on the legacy site.

As for "someone else", the short answer is no; there have been no volunteers, nor do I see anybody who could offer the time, motivation, coding skills AND understanding of UnrealSP's intent, mission and general style. UnrealSP.org sports a wonderful staff who are the true heart and blood of the site, filling it with interesting content, new reviews, MOTWs etc, but I find myself hard pressed to see anybody with the qualifications for the webmaster job.

When UnrealSP.org v2 is finally 100% finished, my own investment of effort will be at a minimum, allowing me to sit back and approve content, write some news posts and fix minor bugs. However, preparations for my freelancing career as well as, most importantly, a crippling depression and social anxiety throw a spanner in the works. It's unfortunate, to say the least, but I haven't quite learned to roll with the punches yet.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014, 00:42

The forum tells me I have a notification but I have no clue what it is; if I click the notifications text on the side I just get taken to my notification preferences, which doesn't help.

Edit: Worked it out, I had to go on the moderator control panel.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014, 21:31

I've been enjoying the changes in relative silence, not experiencing any real issues other than what has been mentioned about some site functions not being active yet (I often like to browse USP articles/reviews for guidance and info, in which case the link to the Legacy site is fine for the moment). On my own, I've been tailoring some 2nd opinion reviews I've been meaning to add to the site for a while (including a long standing alternative piece on Last Fortress). This is one aspect of the site I feel people never really utilized before, even though it was there, and with the new updates I hope posting my own additions to some of the more prominent site reviews I didn't originally write myself might stimulate some of that (in some cases these will be rewrites of far more casual, old junk things I wrote maybe ten years ago, like the ONP expansions). This is separate from some of the main reviews I've privately published in the staff forums that have not been added yet for public consumption (including one for SP2D).

Only issues I've had running the site in both IE and Mozilla (only browser types I use) is occasional loading delay.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014, 18:14

Mman wrote:The forum tells me I have a notification but I have no clue what it is; if I click the notifications text on the side I just get taken to my notification preferences, which doesn't help.

Edit: Worked it out, I had to go on the moderator control panel.

I also have a notification and can't find out what it is. I've checked my settings in User Control Panel (I have no Moderator Control Panel of course) and I can only think that it's due to a setting concerning my subscribed topics ... BUT ... as far as I know I'm not subscribed to any topic ... and if I were, I can't find any listing of topics I would be subscribed to.
BTW I had a notification last week, a new PM and the notification disappeared after I read it (as it should) so something must have changed since that last PM.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014, 18:42

Today I received a Notification which led me to the Edit notification options window. Not sure what it was about...?
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014, 19:36

UBerserker wrote:Today I received a Notification which led me to the Edit notification options window. Not sure what it was about...?

Perhaps you are subscribed to the Elimination topic, and if notifications are active then you would receive one with the first reply after your post.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014, 20:39

salsaSkaarj wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Today I received a Notification which led me to the Edit notification options window. Not sure what it was about...?

Perhaps you are subscribed to the Elimination topic, and if notifications are active then you would receive one with the first reply after your post.

Yeah seems like it was the reason, even if I didn't subscribe to that thread at all (hell where's the thread subscription button anyway?). Had to turn notifications off.
ImageImage

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014, 03:18

^I got the same thing. I'd love to see what the notification was about :)

Is there any way there could be a theme that requires less CPU power? no text glow, no transparency, etc etc. I still run some machines that have UT specs, & it'd be in the spirit of unreal to have a throwback theme available. Perhaps advertise it with a link at the bottom of the page.

No biggie though
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014, 10:48

I may tweak the existing style instead. On my work computer (I've got work now! yay!) I can see that it's rather choppy and unoptimized. This wasn't really notable on my bleeding-edge PC at home. :) I'll see what I can do - I've just reconfigured my home PC to run Ubuntu, which should make a couple of development things easier.

The notification issue is likely related to phpBB updates changing CSS class names, JS functions et cetera. Your notifications are likely to be either quotes (your posts being quoted somewhere) or private messages (if not already read).

A temporary solution for the notification issue is to right-click the "Notifications" link and select "Inspect element". Then, in the devtools window that pops up, click on the

Code: Select all

<div id="notification_list" class="dropdown" [...]></div>

line directly below the newly selected element, and untick the check box at

Code: Select all

display: none;

in the CSS rules on the right. This will force the notifications tab to show up and let you sort things out.

I'm currently running on like 4 hours of sleep a day, and I'm using company time to write this, but I'll try to check it out and fix the most glaring issues within the next few days.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014, 11:01

A lot of good stuff has already been done and we look forward to the rest, but take it slow ividyon, it's great you have a job and remember that any serious person on this site is patient and can wait for further improvements :) make sure you get some more sleep soon, I can't emphasise enough how important that is!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014, 20:59

Temporary solution added to notifications: Clicking the notifications button now properly directs you to a list of notifications. For some reason, the "Overview" UCP tab was turned off. Now, no longer.

The dropdown will be back once I figure it out...

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014, 21:17

Dumb question, but are the walkthroughs anywhere to be found right now? Can we visit the old web site to access the map reviews? These were the main features of the original site, imo - and things seem very incomplete without them.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014, 21:45

Lightning Hunter wrote:Dumb question, but are the walkthroughs anywhere to be found right now? Can we visit the old web site to access the map reviews? These were the main features of the original site, imo - and things seem very incomplete without them.

Legacy Website button under Quicklinks (on the sidebar)
ImageImage

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014, 23:47

Thanks, UB. I didn't see that link.

Ividyon, is there any update on posting that article I submitted?
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Previous Next