This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

26/01/2015 - "Mothership Lab" by Eenocks

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 26/01/2015 - "Mothership Lab" by Eenocks

Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015, 15:48

Map Title: Mothership Lab
Author: Eenocks
Filename: ExtremeLab.unr
Music Files: Unreal4.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lzcZ-GfXDU

Synopsis: Wake up from the slumber. You have entered the Mothership, Lab section. Skaarj are around you, walking by. You are, perhaps, closer to the resolve of your journey.

Discuss!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: 26/01/2015 - "Mothership Lab" by Eenocks

Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015, 22:59

Serious violation of OSHA regulations

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015, 01:08

SSSSSJa'rath's Talon of Krath'aaarj Skrath'ass 13th Lesser Eye of Esss'tajjjji 3rd Regiment of Ssa'Nrrj 5th Higher Leg of Eeehkg
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015, 01:55

I guess my old comments still apply:

Mman wrote:A nice introduction to the Mothership, with the cells building up to what happens in the Darkening and the introduction of the glowing Skaarj. It's a shame the warps are really easy to mess up when playing in UT. The Eightball ambush on the other side of one of those is pretty brutal.

This level is also notable for giving Troopers weapons not used anywhere else; there's an Automag one, and then a corridor near the end with a Minigun and Flak Cannon Trooper, which I don't think are anywhere else in the game.

I don't find it too special, but it's a nice level anyway. Like others have said it also introduces Unreal4 :) .
Formerly Mman

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015, 16:18

BUFF SKELETON wrote:Serious violation of OSHA regulations

Skaarj doctrine wrote:The weak shall be punished.

Also, is it me or do the mothership levels, this one included, feel empty at times? I find this as well as The Darkening are the most entertaining ones.

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015, 21:48

UBerserker wrote:SSSSSJa'rath's Talon of Krath'aaarj Skrath'ass 13th Lesser Eye of Esss'tajjjji 3rd Regiment of Ssa'Nrrj 5th Higher Leg of Eeehkg
What?! Lol, ass.

Ah, the Scare *wink* Mothership... Which legit scared me in one map during my first ever playthrough... (The Darkening)
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015, 22:30

Rarsonic wrote:
BUFF SKELETON wrote:Serious violation of OSHA regulations

Skaarj doctrine wrote:The weak shall be punished.

Also, is it me or do the mothership levels, this one included, feel empty at times? I find this as well as The Darkening are the most entertaining ones.

It was supposed that various top-tier Skaarj were guarding the Queen's chamber; you were actually going to fight another wave of them in that map, then for some unknown reasons War had to redesign the Source arena. By then Inoxx was likely done placing enemies in the Mothership maps.

By the way, Mothership Lab/Core are really old maps. There's a 96/97 screenshot floating around showing the prison corridor with a Bigman in it.
ImageImage

User avatar Rarsonic

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015, 00:37

UBerserker wrote:By the way, Mothership Lab/Core are really old maps. There's a 96/97 screenshot floating around showing the prison corridor with a Bigman in it.

Right, that explains many things. If I recall correctly the mothership maps were given little modifications as Unreal's development became more rushed. The worst offender though might be the generator level, which looking back on it after all this time feels rather underwhelming in terms of map design.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015, 01:18

Skaarj Generator was basically the original concept for the Source. You kill some Skaarj and the boss appears. Was made very much late probably.
ImageImage

User avatar StalwartUK

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015, 06:31

UBerserker wrote:By the way, Mothership Lab/Core are really old maps. There's a 96/97 screenshot floating around showing the prison corridor with a Bigman in it.

Never knew that. Anyone care to point me to it?

Explains the rather crude looking appearance of these levels then. Even the MotherShip Basement looked more detailed.

Still I think in a way it actually adds to the rather alien/otherworldly feel of the mothership. That and the rather unsettling music track Erosion/Unreal 4.
StalwartUK

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015, 11:17

StalwartUK wrote:

Never knew that. Anyone care to point me to it?

Explains the rather crude looking appearance of these levels then. Even the MotherShip Basement looked more detailed.

Still I think in a way it actually adds to the rather alien/otherworldly feel of the mothership. That and the rather unsettling music track Erosion/Unreal 4.

It's pretty different from the last version
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015, 14:41

Incredible. I would have never guessed it; the Mothership textures felt among the most unique to me. I would've placed Skaarj levels way further down in the dev cycle.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015, 19:20

As I already said in another thread:
personally, MotherShip Lab had too much crazy stuff going on for me not to love it!
And, yeah, Unreal4.umx (aka Erosion) FTW!
A scary map (I remember freaking out the first time I played it), and quite hard, too (died a couple of times here and there).
Teleportation is cool. And OMG at the "energy" Skaarj! Plus the cells, man. And I find it to be extremely fortunate that after something as great as this, The Darkening still manages to improve upon it! \o/
Alien stuff, period. :tup:
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Location: STILL hanging around the back of the Rikers wreck, wondering what the hell that buzzing noise is.

Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015, 18:21

Creepy music, fucked up Skaarj, data panels that expand as you approach them...what's not to like?

Actually that last one is fairly irritating as far as reading translator messages goes, but still a cool touch!
"If that bitch in Cell 4A keeps looking at me funny, I swear I'm going to rip out her larynx!"

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015, 00:25

Sat42 wrote:Teleportation is cool. And OMG at the "energy" Skaarj! Plus the cells, man. And I find it to be extremely fortunate that after something as great as this, The Darkening still manages to improve upon it! \o/

Frankly this map disappointed me in terms of gameplay. MOst of the guardians Skaarj present a very weak defence and the energy Skaarj was daunting but on my second try he was a piece of cake since I blasted him from the (now disactivated) energybarrier while he was attacking the resident Skaarj.
The Darkening took parts of this map, used fewer enemies but created lots more tension, and danger and got rid of the irritating teleporters.
Sounds harsh perhaps but to me this doesn't get into my top-20 of Unreal (+RTNP UE) maps

Next