Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

19/05/2008 - "Buran" by TYGRA

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 19/05/2008 - "Buran" by TYGRA

Post Posted: 19 May 2008, 00:17

Map Title: Buran
Author: Dmitry "TYGRA" Gribanoff
Filename: Unreality-08-buran.unr
Video: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/9226406

ImageImage

Synopsis: The shuttle you've hijacked ran out of fuel. Fortunately you've crash landed near bigger craft you can use....

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 May 2008, 08:36

I say this Unreality thing is one of the better map packs, quite amazing really.(all levels)
I think I know which one this is, has the blocked lift, right?

Once you think your done it keeps giving, first up, then back down, then back up again.
You can easily kill the warlords by going up the cliffs, use sniper.
Just ban everyone

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 May 2008, 12:49

FYI: The Buran was actually a Soviet space shuttle project, with the last remaining shuttle being transported to a German museum to be the first spacecraft open to the public. I can't judge whether it is supposed to be the same thing in Unreality, as I haven't played the pack. :)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 May 2008, 15:00

Thanks for the link, Sana.. it's funny to read actually.. some "nice" wording:

It was the first and until now the only landing in automatic mode of a shuttle in the history of the aerospace. This new and outstanding fact in the space conquest was gained brilliantly by the science and Soviet technology.

Hail to the Soviets.. :wink:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 May 2008, 19:56

Don't remember much of this level unfortunately.. maybe a vid would do wonders here.. :wink:

As from what I remember.. the pack has its ups and downs. Has some nice touches, but also weak points, as in the whole russian thing (not simply international). I have nothing against terran stuff, but you should keep it broad...
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 May 2008, 23:40

If people havn't played this, you really should, so much work into it, and the only things you might not like is the size of how far you need to walk, and the tunnels are irritatingly too dark. (rmode 3, lol)

Other than that I could face this off with a retail bought game.
check it out !!!!!
Just ban everyone

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2008, 00:04

redeye wrote:If people havn't played this, you really should, so much work into it, and the only things you might not like is the size of how far you need to walk, and the tunnels are irritatingly too dark. (rmode 3, lol)

Other than that I could face this off with a retail bought game.
check it out !!!!!

I have to admit that I've never played Unreality, but the main reason is that I keep hearing how unreasonably difficult it is.

No doubt you get much more practice than I do (I don't play Unreal much these days), but do you take a significantly different view?
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2008, 00:06

redeye wrote:I think I know which one this is, has the blocked lift, right?

I doubt if there are any movers (except of Buran itself) in this map, so there's no blocked lift I know of.

redeye wrote:You can easily kill the warlords by going up the cliffs, use sniper.

Again, I don't remember any Warlords here, unless you mean WarBOSSES, those Xan Mk II bots.

Sanastro wrote:FYI: The Buran was actually a Soviet space shuttle project, with the last remaining shuttle being transported to a German museum to be the first spacecraft open to the public.

I'm aware of the fact that this level was indeed inspired by Soviet space shuttle (very similar to those used by NASA, but, according to Wikipedia, Buran itself was destroyed in hangar collapse. There is another shuttle from that project, "Birdy", but it's, again according to Wikipedia, it's currently stored in Kazakhstan, so it can't be in Germany. Unless I'm mistaken....

As for the map: Really good visuals, as in most of Unreality and at least highly unbalanced combat. Warboss ambush near the end of this map was hellishly hard even on Easy, I still don't know how I managed to get throgh. Also, lack of translator events made me guess what should I do to disable the laser fence.
Overally: quite funny to play, but could have been (as the whole pack) more balanced.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2008, 01:18

More or less unbalanced than Zephon? I haven't played this one yet, always meant to get around to it.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2008, 01:47

Mister_Prophet wrote:More or less unbalanced than Zephon? I haven't played this one yet, always meant to get around to it.

Haven't finished Zephon :shy: Although the parts of Zephon I visited were easy, and here you have attractions like tons of enemies equipped with flak cannon in tight corridors or enemies with hitscan weapons or fighting Warlords while standing on tight bridge above abyss and so on. Lots of fun! (although there are only a few hard spots on Easy).
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2008, 02:27

Hmm, well I should still check it out. :o

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2008, 08:17

No, it's not like Zephon, it would have been better if they used not so long of tunnels.What happenes is that the tunnels are so long that the size becomes the maze, another words you don't want to go through the wrong tunnel because it lands you back where you've been.Then it takes so long to get back, but there is not many ways to go it's not that hard you have to keep your bearings. And that is about the only worst thing I can think of.

But a lot of other stuff-maps makes it worth the play.
I wouldn't exactly say retail, but it has all the stuff in it, guns, effects, textures, whole lotta work.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2008, 19:06

This pack should not be played because its gameplay is so ****ing horrible and stupid.
Single Player is not DeathMatch. Hitscan stuff can't be avoided. Sgt Nutz blow. The visuals are incredibly repetitive. Lava inside water.
The only good thing is the use of music.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the map, is quite the same thing seen in other Unreality maps, just another well-made snowy passage with a ugly-looking star ship at the end.

Gameplay sucks due to invulnerable hitscan turrets and too many Flak Shells thrown at you. Really fun! :shake:

Zephon's difficulty is nothing compared to Unreality. Although I admit that I only cheated in two Unreality maps in Unreal difficulty, so overall the pack is not impossible. But no game should have impossible-to-get-through maps, otherwise I would have definitely wasted some bucks for it.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2008, 20:05

Playthrough is done on god-mode, because there's no way I'm doing this thing normally.

Mister_Prophet wrote:More or less unbalanced than Zephon?

Compared to Unreality Zephon seems personally balanced by the hand of God. This may be tolerable on easy, but considering it's torture even on medium, probably not.

Like I said in the review, Unreality's visuals seem to get better as it goes along (with the gameplay remaining awful), so this is one of the better levels, it's probably one of the better playing ones too, since it's simple and doesn't have you constantly backtrack through dark caves. However, this level has a bug where the exit randomly doesn't work, like in Xidia Gold's Landing level.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 May 2008, 07:17

I have a completly different take on gameplay here.It is not bad at all, other than the long dark walks.

I play everything on medium, new games, old, or really old like nes emulator games.
I figure it's the closest to what the author whanted you to do and see.

Zephon is soooooo easy, and hardly any enemies and far to big.Much easier than Unreality, Zephon is far more boring if we are comparing.
All you doo is walk, shoot keep walking.

On the first map for Unreality it's a tactical nightmare, for instance the houses the door is dark, so once you awake those things they hammer you and you can't see the door to run away lol.

The house on the hill, he did that just right, leaving several ways to figure it out the creatures open the doors and get you as well.
Then the shieldbelt in the outhouse, nothing boring or stupid at all, don't make sense, this mappack is like in the top 3 of all the ones I'v played.

Zephon was one of those (I just got to get through it) with doors, doors, and more doors.And sort of depressed me when I came up on the areas that has the same sections of map as like in MH Jerassic.
Just ban everyone

Next