Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

New Quake hero-style MP game

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: New Quake hero-style MP game

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016, 11:05

Class-based Quake MP game good job guys I hope I never hear of Doom and Quake ever again in my life

Meanwhile Dishonored 2 is still the last remaining decent series in the hands of Bethesda, let's see how it goes
Last edited by UB_ on 22 Jul 2016, 16:09, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: Quake's joining Doom in terms of bad

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016, 12:29

I sure hope it's as "bad" as Doom. The "pedigree" of the developer and the fact it's obviously a move to shoot for Overwatch (because pushing games out solely to copy market leaders rarely ends well, let alone MP ones) doesn't give me much hope though.
Formerly Mman

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016, 22:55

Screenshots or it didn't happen.

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016, 00:30

evilgrins wrote:Screenshots or it didn't happen.

Trailer is this. No actual gameplay or in-game stuff yet though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-6fQyNkZo
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016, 01:04

Semfry wrote:I sure hope it's as "bad" as Doom.

Seconded :tup: Doom was definetly the shooter I needed this year.

I'm strangely indifferent to Dishonored 2. I guess it's because I could never get past the sewers, just was very meh and tried too hard to be Bioshock. I do like the character design, however, and would say that those games are a delight to look at.

I'm not sure about Quake. I always play them, but besides the first two I do not believe that I spent much time with them. Even the first two haven't aged well for me. But I was happy with the new Doom and Wolfenstien so there you go. I don't care about class based combat, in my old age I only have time for fun.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016, 01:08

You should go back to Dishonored and finish it. Awesome gameplay, great environments, and I'd say MUCH BETTER than BioShock (only played the first one and found it pretty sluggish/repetitive and certainly not fun).

EDIT: D2 is even going to give an option to play the game without any power, so literally like a REAL spiritual Thief sequel!

Also yeah new Quake is just MP but so far no fan of the series seem to be liking this announcement - nail in the coffin for the series if you ask me.
Last edited by UB_ on 14 Jun 2016, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016, 03:05

Bethesda isn't going to take away your Q3A disks.

User avatar Carbon
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016, 13:24

UBerserker wrote:Also yeah new Quake is just MP but so far no fan of the series seem to be liking this announcement - nail in the coffin for the series if you ask me.

Too early for any such talk. A two minute trailer and we think we know what's what? Who says it won't have bot matches?

As for the whole "it's an answer to Overwatch"; these games are in the works for a long, long time, particularly with id, far too long for this to be a knee jerk reaction to a game released 3 weeks ago.

The new Doom rocks hard, so I'm going to give id the benefit of the doubt until shown otherwise.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016, 15:12

Carbon wrote:Who says it won't have bot matches?

Regardless of that if it matters or not you'll be playing a class/hero-based Quake game that nobody wanted.
ImageImage

User avatar Carbon
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016, 02:39

I know this won't change your mind, but this video has put many minds to rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvDyLCadGGY

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016, 10:31

I'll change my mind when I'll see the gameplay trailers. Feels like they have hardly developed anything yet so it's going to take a while.

TBH there's a thing about Quake and that's it I forget always what were the series' best point and weapons. Of the series I truly liked only the first one.
ImageImage

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016, 06:36

*teleport sound*

Liked the new Doom very much, practically the only shooter I've picked up recently. I also like the implied resurgence of fast-paced gameplay that comes along with it, even though similar experiences have existed and still active for a while now anyway. (most of them happen to be under the carpet though)

Of course, I'd also like to state that I happen to give Doom the thumbs up also because of the context and state of the times it has been released in. First person shooters of today are slow, take place on extremely mundane, modern, super-serious settings. I appreciate those, but they don't define my personal tastes in the genre at all.

If the current Doom came out in the golden years of, let's say, the community here, we could easily sum the current game to be a series of glorified bot matches. (ONP minus ONP guy! Or Unreality done right!) Instead of facing a progression of creatures populating a map, activated as you come closer to them in sequence via line of sight or sound, you are locked into arenas interconnected by corridors with indistinct waves of spawning monster that move with agility far beyond what the original Doom critters even had. Booting up a typical UT or Quake DM gives you the same experience, but of course, minus the new Doom atmosphere that probably happens to be unfamiliar now to today's general gamer population.

I personally like it though - I mean, I did buy it. Never touched the multiplayer. SnapMap is cool, but it's stripped down AND more cumbersome.

As for Quake: Champions... well... no. I'm just plainly not into the hero shooter subset in general and at a time Battleborn and Overwatch are plastered in every video game store nearby here, I feel extremely apprehensive about the direction Quake is going. They already did Doom, why not a redux of the first Quake, and the features that couldn't ship with it in the first place? (bosses, a true central hub that's not just a fancy difficulty selection menu, melee, etc.)

I feel like my purchase of Doom justifies my protest for today's Hollywood shooters, even if I do appreciate them, more than perhaps my desire to play a new Doom itself, in as much as the original Doom still has active enough communities WAD's have a fair share of screen time on general games media.

P.S. The Doom bosses are really, really f***ing cool though.

*teleport sound*

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016, 12:56

UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016, 13:43

It should be noted that that mod's getting a big update like, any day now. So it's probably best to wait a little.
Formerly Mman