A random sentence for a random mind.

UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016, 04:57

I gave the latest version a playthrough on unreal difficulty and got totally owned. I'm so out of practice that I had to cheat. Particularly in UBs part.

Anyway, BUG REPORT!!! In prophs part, where there's the big stone courtyard and you have to fight a warlord three times, as well as a whole bunch of krall, titans and skaarj, there is a BSP error somewhere in there where you fall right through the floor and just keep going and going and going down into the void. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but you can find it by strafing around the courtyard in circles. Eventually you should hit it. I hit it about four times while I was trying to kill the warlord.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016, 23:13

UnrealGecko wrote:*DOUBLE BUMP*

Didn't get any recap yet, Sat42... any new news? :P

I almost jumped in my seat when I saw your comment UnrealGecko! and TIK - thank you so much for the bug report, details duly noted in my list of things to do before the release of the next version.

Gecko - thanks again for your interest! I'll send you a private message before the end of this week.

To all: I should admit that I have not been able to do much work on this since January, because:
- moved for work
- work is awesome
- other things too like girlfriend
- ah! and the gaming PC is still in my previous place - a desktop PC, can't just travel with the whole thing without a car and didn't get a realistic opportunity to move it to my new place yet :/ I only got limited access to it (occasionally went back for week-ends)

Anyway, all this will sound like just familiar IRL "hurdles" that get in the way of our mapping hobby :) I'm sorry for the massive delays these entail though.
I will have to move that PC over to my new place before October though, so that's something I suppose!

So, status:
- added over 16k nodes to the map since last summer (a year ago :P )
- some surprises including a ("real", you'll-know-it-when-you-see-it) secret area
- in progress: a whole new sector after Semfry's part (which ends with another crystal totem thing)
- in progress: final chamber where you place the crystals to exit map to yet-to-be-seen finale (for which I'll open up a discussion with contributors to this project when the time comes)

I'll edit this post tomorrow with a teaser screenshot for the revamped SteadZ section, so that you guys can at least see something now!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016, 09:29

Awesome, I'm glad you didn't forget about this little project of yours. I found the concept interesting and always kept an eye on it. I didn't know you extended the map by that much already, however...
Sat42 wrote:- added over 16k nodes to the map since last summer (a year ago :P )

The added Polygons or brushes would be a more reliable number, since you could've upped the nodes by just messing with the engine :P

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your tease screenshot!
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016, 22:02

Thank you for the update, looking forward to seeing the changes :P
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016, 17:46

editor Dave wrote:Awesome, I'm glad you didn't forget about this little project of yours. I found the concept interesting and always kept an eye on it. I didn't know you extended the map by that much already, however...
Sat42 wrote:- added over 16k nodes to the map since last summer (a year ago :P )

The added Polygons or brushes would be a more reliable number, since you could've upped the nodes by just messing with the engine :P

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your tease screenshot!

Thanks for your comment, Dave!

Here is the screenshot :wink:

The Pupae Chamber

Based on SteadZ's initial work which decided the theme, this shot shows the Pupae Chamber which at this stage was mostly built by me. The state of the chamber is mostly finished but still work in progress (not just in terms of build, either, but gameplay as well).

Oh, and you're right these stats will be a bit more meaningful: I added
- 148 brushes
- 4302 polys
- 281 lights
Some brushes were merged and the approach to the Pupae Chamber was high poly (that was decided based on SteadZ's initial approach)! I got 7 different versions of the more complex brushes as backup in different files, just in case.
Given my limited skills, I had to work my ass off to pull off what I had in mind.

Hope you like it!

UnrealGecko - message to come a bit later in the week.
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016, 23:03

Downloaded on August 1st (2016) and immediately played.

It's not a walkover. I tried it on Hard and reached the end area where I ended up wasting too much ammo while trying to avoid the vermin and the BSP. Needless to say, I reached the bottom several times :wink:

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016, 15:35

salsaSkaarj wrote:Downloaded on August 1st (2016) and immediately played.

It's not a walkover. I tried it on Hard and reached the end area where I ended up wasting too much ammo while trying to avoid the vermin and the BSP. Needless to say, I reached the bottom several times :wink:

Thank you for the feedback, salsaSkaarj!
I'm pissed off by this bug with the BSP, it sure wasn't there when Prophet first uploaded his section. Must have appeared with later updates, possibly with the last one. Late August I'll be able to map and will obviously have to fix this, I might even just release a new build just for this as the larger update is far from ready.

User avatar Pla
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016, 14:35

May I join?

(Check my maps - only pictures shared yet):
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3452

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016, 23:58

Pla wrote:May I join?

(Check my maps - only pictures shared yet):
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3452

Pla - of course you may, and thank you for posting here! I wish I could've replied sooner but I am abroad until the 22nd of August with limited access to the web over the last week.

I should be able to sit down for a longer reply this week-end so expect a private message soon for discussing your participation in this project! :)

Talk to you soon then 8)

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016, 02:22

Hey folks!

Download link on the first page of this thread has been updated: I've uploaded a new build of the map which corrects the BSP bug in Titan's Row (specifically in the arena where you fight the Warlord) - you can now play the boss rush as it was intended!

In addition, I very slightly enhanced the ruin-like quality of said arena (essentially, I slightly increased the number of details pointing to a decaying structure, as some parts of the arena were left very clean due to the lack of mapping time). That's all in terms of new stuff!

I withheld the greater additions and surprises for now, as I want to release a BIG update worthy of the name when more is ready. Sorry for the delays :P

User avatar Pla

Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017, 23:46

Hmm.. not much action here?

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 12:52

An update for the project will be made available for download by late August 2018 at the latest.
That is not necessarily going to be the final version, but I will try to make it so.

Pla wrote:...

Hey Pla, just trying to get hold of you, hope to hear from you soon.

User avatar Pla

Post Posted: 14 May 2020, 00:02

I actually made my part to cooperate with this map, but basically ran out of nodes, what wasn't a problem, turned out. But looks like, my map was very complex, so was not able to insert to this map. Actually I ended up having a complete 10k+ nodes map, my section was about an average of 15-30minute gamplay alone, in a Chizra-like enviroment. The section got a name later: Chizra: Forgotten Chambers - so I endede up having this - actually complete map - in my old Singleplayer Campaign, what was about to create a complete journey in the old fashion, original UNreal era, no mods, no addons, a journey into the era of Unreal 98. A few people, who was able to play it, told me, this map was successful in grabbing Unreal era, very much looking like Unreal maps.

Will issue an image here:
Chizra_-_Lost_Chambers_map_img1.jpg

Finally, we agreed on, I will insert it to my mappack - what actually happened, so I had 5 maps in line, playable, not all completed - and - for a newbie - about half a hour gameplay. This map is the longest at the moment.

The original project presentation page is available here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3452

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021, 13:22

As I believe to spy Sat42 around the forums, I wonder if this is a good moment for one of those "beloved" bump posts! :P While there's no pressure to continue a project that has been waiting for several years, I do wonder about the status, and whether any help can be offered.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021, 20:03

ividyon wrote:As I believe to spy Sat42 around the forums, I wonder if this is a good moment for one of those "beloved" bump posts! :P While there's no pressure to continue a project that has been waiting for several years, I do wonder about the status, and whether any help can be offered.

Thank you for your message ividyon! :D much appreciated!

This deserves some proper explanation!

A bullet list should help to keep things clear and relatively concise:
  • after the initial run during the actual mapping event back in 2015, I was left with a bunch of unfinished threads I had to tie up together - something I absolutely felt was my responsibility, and gladly took on
  • the main challenge was that some contributed a little, others a lot and it had become very ambitious with multiple paths for the player to choose from
  • the main objective is to retrieve 3 macguffins ("power crystals") in order to activate the level exit
  • I made a nooby's mistake: one heavily unfinished segment became my playground for testing my skills, basically a form of mapping masturbation, in the end that one short segment alone encompasses over 18K nodes!! The whole map now stands at a little under 45K nodes
  • I improved various details, and turned my attention to new features: new textures incl. animated textures for specific things, new music (will reveal the composers in due time), a new trigger where needed (thanks to Bleeder), and even a new pawn (improved pupa, thanks to gopostal)
  • I could never fix the little visual glitches in the warp zones and that annoyed me a great deal, so on my to-do list I plan to get rid of the existing warp zones and merge segments where needed
  • It dragged on and over time my motivation dipped (the lack of a real story doesn't help)
  • I was very hopeful for Pla's contribution, but unfortunately I couldn't integrate it without creating massive BSP issues - so as Pla indicated himself last year, we agreed he could use it in his own project - it's basically a fully-fledged map in the classic Unreal style! Very cool
  • Finally, the last time I did some serious mapping, it was for a surprise map for my dad's birthday last summer - a surprise I am happy to say was a success! I will likely reuse parts of that for this project here
  • Unfortunately, the new pupa only works with Unreal 227 and I didn't realise that back when we were testing (I kept testing with UED2.1 only, another newbie mistake)... so I need to see if I can get back to gopostal and see what can be done, because if this pawn can be made to work for UT 436, then honestly people, EVERYONE should use this new pupae class - no excuses!

I apologise for the massive delay. I just cannot do this if it's not fun. I overstretched a bit. At least, meanwhile, it's a very decent play if anyone bothers downloading, despite the lack of a conventional finishing line.

At this point, let's say there is a hiatus from this project. I think I will continue it, but may only ask for help when I am actively developing it again. I know I'll need some sort of "relentless chasing" trigger for spawning troopers at some point.

For now I am attempting something else, completely coherent and all mine, which I find very motivating! :)

Previous