Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

15/11/2016 - "The Fission Smelter" by Grayson Edge

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 15/11/2016 - "The Fission Smelter" by Grayson Edge

Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016, 13:29

Map Title: The Fission Smelter
Author: Grayson Edge
Filename: fissionsmelter.unr
Music Files: none

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHoGJeR7YZc

Synopsis: You enter a massive Skaarj starship of sorts. It's full of Skaarj.

Discuss!

User avatar Kajgue
N-Team Leader N-Team Leader

Subject: Re: 15/11/2016 - "The Fission Smelter" by Grayson Edge

Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016, 15:42

I actually thought rather than a starship, it's meant to be an industrial facility which just has a very abstract/alien shape on the exterior/entrance.

And again, Hexephet = favourite small custom campaign of all time.
N-Team leader
The Silver Blades clan chief

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016, 17:28

Finding where to go in this is such a massive pain in the ass.
Also the super suit sucks, you never know if you're getting hit or not because of no screen flashes and no hurt voice.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016, 21:42

Since I still have the Hexephet save from a couple of weeks ago I'll probably try and redo the playthrough for this level so it's in one video on top of being on Unreal difficulty. Until then though I'll put up my old comment:

Semfry wrote:Really massive Skaarj interior map (providing a good contrast to the outside-focused previous level) with plenty of exploration and combat. Maybe there could be one or two more set-piece rooms (like the one shown in the second screenshot here), as the corridors kind of blur together a little. But it mostly mixes things up well and has unique scripted sequences in almost every area. There are a couple of nasty Skaarj fights and ambushes (like a flak trooper in a confined area), but it's all well balanced, if anything there could have been a few more intense encounters.

I felt that both Star 861 and Hexephet kind of whimpered out at the end; you just kill some slightly buffed (lone) Skaarj and move on. I found it more noticeable in Hexephet since the overall quality and length means there's a big buildup to something epic at the end that doesn't happen. The warp to the different planets was a nice idea, but the island fight in particular felt like a big missed opportunity.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016, 23:55

It seems that 227 screws up the first fight somehow, as the brutes are incredibly hard to get through the doors when they should just walk right through. I tried on Unreal Tournament and it worked straight away. It seems it's simplest to just rocket jump past that part.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016, 13:31

Redone the video, but I had to skip the first fight. Despite the relatively confined setting almost every area has something that sticks out and remains memorable to me; from the Brutes coming through the doors at the start, to the lasers, to the giant pipes area, and that's just a few things of many. In that old post I said it's lacking set-pieces, but I disagree now; almost every area has a unique thing about it. I do think it lacks a little overall coherence though; it's a rollercoaster of setpieces that are enjoyable enough to keep momentum but it doesn't really make any sense as an actual location, even by tenous Skaarj safety standards. Still, the map does such a good job keeping each area entertaining that this is the kind of thing you only think of after. As I said before the climax is somewhat underwheming, with the bosses being simpler than some of the earlier encounters, and location switches that could have had more done with them. Also, given the super high poly Skaarj style that's become the main way to use that set, this is distinct for being a Skaarj map that manages to be completely convincing with a relatively low-poly design.

This is generally regarded as the weaker of the two Hexephet maps, but, while the less coherent overall feel does harm the lasting impression a little, I think it's the more entertaining of two when you're in the moment playing it.
Formerly Mman