Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

11/21/2016 - "Strange World: Part 6" by David Munnich

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 11/21/2016 - "Strange World: Part 6" by David Munnich

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016, 00:07

Map Title: Strange World: Part 6
Author: David Münnich
Filename: strange6.unr
Music Files: SkyTwn.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_2hoDFny_E

Synopsis: The player enters a fast rotating sky island.

Discuss!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 11/21/2016 - "Strange World: Part 6" by David Munnich

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016, 11:24

This map makes you go dizzy with the constant skybox rotation but overall it's a really fun map, this is probably everyone's favorite Strangeworld level I guess. Only problem is a killer BSP hole on one of those short wooden staircases outside a house and trying to avoid it is literally the hardest part of this mappack.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016, 19:32

Does anyone know how to summon Strangeworld weapons? I can't seem to work it out.
Formerly Mman

NaPaliShore
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016, 20:13

Semfry wrote:Does anyone know how to summon Strangeworld weapons? I can't seem to work it out.

The two I know about are:
summon CTRRocket.CTRRocket
summon Railgun.Railgun

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016, 21:23

Thanks! So when summoning from mylevel it seems you just put the object name twice.
Formerly Mman

NaPaliShore
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016, 23:00

I'm pretty ignorant about the technical stuff. The summoning commands I mentioned are what I use in-game, from the console, when running the game with "-alladmin" in order to be able to "cheat" in singleplayer. To find out how to summon a custom weapon like that, I make a copy of the .u file, rename its extension to .txt, and search around in it to find the names of the summonable stuff. I think it is a coincidence in these cases that the name of the summonable item (the second part, after the period) is the same as the name of the .u file (the first part, before the period). That is not always the case - for example "summon upak.carifle" to summon that weapon.

But I don't know anything about the editor, or "mylevel" stuff... Hope that helps in some way - sorry I'm not more knowledgeable!

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016, 00:16

You don't summon from myLevel, you just summon, and it comes from anywhere the engine can see it.
The summon command is based on the package name and then the item in the package.
Many weapons or mutators that have 1 version to call, usually name the package and the item the same (why make different names?).

Open the map in UEd and the weapons will be listed the same way.
eg. to place the weapon you have to look for the branch "Railgun" and in that branch you will find the weapon "Railgun".

If you look in UEd at where all the weapons and pickups are listed etc., you will easily see any new stuff appear when you load a map or u file.

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016, 17:36

Looking at it in the editor again I see the new weapons are listed like the summon command when you check the title of their actual script.

Most of Strange World is linear with the occasional diversion, so an open level like this (even if it does have an overall intended route) is quite a departure, especially as it borders on obscure a couple of times (namely climbing the church with the blended door in the attic). The main flaw is a bunch of polish issues; most of the other levels are fine in that regard, but this one has a lot of random BSP issues, along with a basically unclimbable ladder at one point. It also ran pretty bad on hardware at the time, which is acknowledged by one of DavidM's trademark fourth wall breaking messages (which is kind of funny today when it barely dips at all). On the other hand that's partially a product of it being the most structurally ambitious level in the set, and I like the way you gradually open up the town to make backtracking for anything you might have missed not take too long. The combat is basically a non-issue with how strong the new weapons are (though I recall the bad framerate causing some problems when I first played it), but at least they're satisfying to go wild with.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016, 17:50

You can climb that killer staircase, just stay on the right side of it as much as possible.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016, 01:57

UBerserker wrote:This map makes you go dizzy with the constant skybox rotation but overall it's a really fun map, this is probably everyone's favorite Strangeworld level I guess. Only problem is a killer BSP hole on one of those short wooden staircases outside a house and trying to avoid it is literally the hardest part of this mappack.

You basically said it all:
- my favourite Strange World map
- I like the rotating skybox but yeah the rotation is a bit fast
- exploration and action combine nicely, great flow
- the killer BSP hole makes this map quite hard :P seriously got a fright from it, similar to how it's described in the mappack's review! :o

A great map despite suffering from some BS - the typical 4th wall breaking messages, a couple of clumsy cutscenes (DavidM was clearly using this mappack as a training ground), the aforementioned BSP hole... by the time I played this, framerate couldn't possibly be an issue at least. Oh, and that secret area :lol: I honestly think I did come across it on my first playthrough as the location and the way you uncover it definitely ring a bell but I don't remember the specific "David" skin :D

It's at least average in terms of difficulty the first time round, not just because of the BSP hole lol but also because of the sometimes obscure progression - I remember spending over an hour on this map, definitely not a quickie.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.